Do you like The Globalist?  

397 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like The Globalist?

• Yes
    • Somewhat
    • No

The outro piano bit is just incredible. Unbelievibly emotional! It reminds me of something like the good bit of IBTY (the French section), but way better.

Yeah, I really like the song generally, all parts are great. I'd still prefer it a lot more however if:

1. The heavy part with drums lasted longer

2. There was no Elgar, even though it does compliment the song.

It's a mess. I just don't like how disjointed it feels. Every part of it feels rehashed and generic. It's got nothing on Exogenesis, that's for certain - perhaps it's most comparable counterpart.

And as I'm one of those people who really likes Revolt, it puts The Globalist pretty low on my list for Drones.

Is the characther happy that the world is over in the final part? what a dick if true :LOL:

I assumed it was a "guy destroys the world and then laments that he's all alone" but then looking at the lyrics, he says there's a partner with him. So, who knows? :chuckle:

But, seriously, who hasn't thought, once or twice, that it would be nice if the damn world just went away?

Part 1 and Part 2 would have gone well as seperate songs, assuming they were longer (especially the heavy bit)

Something we can agree on :cool:

Someone on reddit made an edit with the pisssh that Matt made on the make of, here's it it's on the third part only(if you havent watched the making of).

Part 1 and Part 2 would have gone well as seperate songs, assuming they were longer (especially the heavy bit)

Probably but I prefer the "Journey songs". Suppose they could always do a 20 minute song just to make everybody happy but at that point like you said they might as well split the different parts into different songs. But I like the The Globalist as it is, one giant journey of a song.

It's the best 2 mins of the album crushed together with the worst 7 mins (or joint worst with Aftermath).

And it's just not a cohesive track. It consists of an ok extended intro, two painfully dull, unconnected half-finished ballads, and a brilliant riff that should have been turned into a song but instead goes nowhere, merely building and abruptly ending.

In that regards it rather reminds me of Survival: a cool riff but with nothing of any substance around it, leaving it ultimately feeling rather flat and unfinished as a song.

Probably but I prefer the "Journey songs". Suppose they could always do a 20 minute song just to make everybody happy but at that point like you said they might as well split the different parts into different songs. But I like the The Globalist as it is, one giant journey of a song.

A journey with quite a few dead ends.

Feel like I should review all three parts, so here we go :p I think I've already done earlier but I guess I'll do it again as I have listened to it a lot more :D

Part 1: A chilling atmosphere but strangely peaceful, which instrumentally is reminiscent of Hoodoo with a rythym like that of Knights of Cydonia albeit a bit slower. Then the lyrics start which are creative, cool and not cheesy at all. I especially love the wub-wuuub-wubs (not sure of the correct term for them) that start with the lyrics.

Part 2: Hard, pure rock :love:

What can I say, an album (or even just b-sides) that takes this part + Reapers + The Handler with a little bit of OoS weirdness would be absolutely massive. A guy can dream

Part 3: Matt brings the cheese with the reappearance of his piano, in a throwback to Explorers/USoE with Elgar. Vocally however it is perfect and I cannot fault the piano playing. The end is very abrupt if Drones does not follow on.

Part 3: Matt brings the cheese with the reappearance of his piano, in a throwback to Explorers/USoE with Elgar. Vocally however it is perfect and I cannot fault the piano playing. The end is very abrupt if Drones does not follow on.

I always feel it's going to end like Bohemian Rhapsody when you don't have Drones after it. The descending piano notes are quite similar, all you need is the closing harmony over the top, haha!

Is it wrong that I prefer this version? :p

it's better actually. feels more cohesive.

:eek: That's incredible. That is far and away better than the actual song and MUCH more cohesive. I think I'll just listen to this from now on, though I'd love for someone to do a mashup of the studio version and this version ala Take a Bow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II-hPx8aOD0

Sounds like some a slow morph synth, not unlike some on the Akai Deep Impact; can't get over ever selling mine :supersad:

I know nothing of bass rigs, but I think you made a bad decision and should feel bad.

That is far and away better than the actual song and MUCH more cohesive.

...to each their own, I guess. It's got nothing on the original for me.