Do you like The Globalist?  

397 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like The Globalist?

• Yes
    • Somewhat
    • No

So I was watching this for no apparent reason, and...

(idk why embed doesn't work)

I don't really have anything to say about it other than recognition and that I found it mildly interesting.

Edited by spark_

So I was watching this for no apparent reason, and...

(idk why embed doesn't work)

I don't really have anything to say about it other than recognition and that I found it mildly interesting.

nice find! incredible that it's been hanging around for five years.

I suppose that only adds to the feeling that this is very much a patchwork quilt of a song, though...

Psycho has been around much, much longer, and that's far from a patchwork. I mean, shit, it's basically just that one old riff with swears.

Anyways, there's been a lot of really great Muse songs that have been around in bits and pieces for ages.

I get why people don't like TG, I don't get why people are always looking for justifications for not liking it. I mean, sometimes something just doesn't appeal to you...

Huh? I like the song. But the fact that one of the two bits that I thought was genuinely new and written specifically for the song has been around for years doesn't exactly do anything to dampen the feeling that this song has been stitched together from various bits.

I have absolutely no problem with the piano cover at the end, and honestly the score piece at the beginning worked better than I thought it would.

I am weirdly happy I knew about it beforehand, though, so I don't rave about the great Muse composition and get embarrassed by someone irl. :chuckle:

I don't know why people would be upset about Muse using pieces they themselves composed years ago, either. It doesn't lessen the emotional impact or the sincerity of the song, imo.

I have been wondering if there was a thematic choice for the Elgar piece, because iirc, Nimrod was a great hunter who became a tyrant to his people and caused its collapse (or created the Tower of Babel, in religious texts.)

But then I figure Matt probably just heard it at the Olympics, or something.

using your older material that you haven't included in a song yet is fine, making covers however raises the question wether you had run out of your own ideas. imo "remaking" a piece of music < making your own, new music

Nimrod is described as being a great hunter. I don't think it's a coincidence that Matt sings about exactly that. But I wouldn't be surprised if he first decided that he wanted to use the piece, and only later found out that he could fit it in thematically.

They've specifically talked about the writing process for the song, so I doubt it.

Not sure what im confusing it with in that case:stunned:

Sure its been around a long time evidentally and we all know matt is a compulsive bullshitter :L

Nah definately not that, they played part of the globalist at glastonbury in 2010, maybe im confusing it with something else no idea lol

You're thinking of the alternative riff on Citizen Erased at Glastonbury 2004 which eventually became Supremacy.