Do you like The Globalist?  

397 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like The Globalist?

• Yes
    • Somewhat
    • No

I still love this song, even if it needs a bit of work.

The mid section should've been extended. Throw in a couple of verses like Fury mixed with Reapers' chorus. A simple staggered variation of the riff with some soaring vocals would've been awesome. Throw in a smoother transition to piano and you're set.

It also needs a proper ending. Right now Drones seems to be the outro, and it's a very underwhelming one.

Great song, but as usual lately Muse should've taken things a tiny bit further.

After a solid week+ of listening to this I still think its one of there 4 or 5 best songs ever. Its foots the bill for my favorite type of song, a Journey song. Its take me "there" every time I listen to it. Just like everybody else I do wish the middle section was a minute or so longer but I absolutely LOVE the last 4min piano section. Some truly awesome vocals by Matt on this and the Piano!! :facemelt::facemelt::facemelt:

So all in all 9.9/10, would be perfect with another minute of going nuts with that solo bit towards the end of the middle section. But I can more than live with what it is, a Masterpiece.

This song could have been the best on the album until Matt butchered it with a massive and completely uninteresting drawn out piano outro.

Yep.

I actually don't mind the piano section that much except for one thing:

Those fucking gliassandos. So stupid. Ruin everything.

Yeah the glissandi are the worst. I don't like the section in general but those ruin it even more.

The Globalist couldn't have ended on an uber heavy note. It had to blend in with drones.

It could've done easily, the contrast would've worked.

It would have actually worked better.

I think Matt's actually done something really clever with this one. Elgar is one of the best examples of musical 'nationalism' (not so much the political movement, but the trend of exemplifying a country musically - Rimsky Korsakov and Mussorgsky did it with Russia). Juxtaposing Nimrod (one of Elgar's greatest works) with lyrics like "there's no country left to love and cherish", "there's no countries left to fight and conquer", and "memories of the great nation we were" is, I think, a very clever piece of subversive songwriting.

It's just a shame I don't really like Nimrod...

Edited by outside_now

The Globalist has some tricky bits but it seems piano is not really high on his 'want to play' list, judging by the way it's been (not) played live.

It's not really prominent, though. It's just sort of there, providing background harmony.

I think it's supposed to be a bit understated and relaxing. I personally really like it, it's very soothing

Yeah in isolation that's fine. I just miss the wannabe-virtuoso piano of earlier albums where it really dominated the songs. It's a big element of their songwriting which has gone completely missing over the last few years.

Yeah in isolation that's fine. I just miss the wannabe-virtuoso piano of earlier albums where it really dominated the songs. It's a big element of their songwriting which has gone completely missing over the last few years.

ah yeah I get your point. I'm a guitar nutter myself so don't mind a lack of piano, but I can understand that people will miss it

EDIT: I could listen to the first part of this song forever, incredibly relaxing. The heavy bit's great as well, but I almost consider it secondary tbh. The piano is nice, but a little boring and I can understand why people don't like it. It is, however, very relaxing. I think this works best at the end of the album, which on the whole is very loud

Edited by Citizen Erased #01

Does anybody else have to think of the Django Unchained soundtrack when listening to the beginning of the song?

I adore the moment when Matt sings the first lines. I really love that verse and melody. Apart from that, there are many things I love about the song but also at least as many things that still have to grow on me...especially the weird transition between guitar riff and piano.

All in all I'm pretty happy about the song though. I like songs that have to grow on me. Most of the time they turn out to become my favourites.

A bit of a review

Part 1: 7/10

I like how it starts with Hawaii/ocean calm sort of music, with KoC style beats but it then kind of drags until the lyrics start.

Part 2: 9/10: Hard solid metal, could probably have been made into a song of it's own to be honest. Could have been longer.

Part 3: 8/10: I like Explorers and USoE so I actually like this part- it's so abrupt though

Overall: 8/10: It's atmospheric but it's no Citizen Erased. It's true what they say about sequels never being as good as the original :LOL: But yeah the changes are abrupt and the timings somewhat iffy, However the actual lyrics are okay (again not CE standard) and the instrument work/singing is phenomenal. With a few small tiny changes it would perfect, but I guess just plain great will do.

I love the track. I don't think the transition from the heavy part to the piano bit is jarring at all. It'd be kinda cool if the guitar had gone on longer but I'm glad there were no lyrics. Matt does vague pretty well but when he gets all specific about events I think they're bad so A+ on not having lyrics lol