Do you like Dead Inside?  

569 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Dead Inside?

• Yes
    • No

Why the crap were people talking about Taylor Swift lyrics here.

I love the first half of the song (for what it is, the electronic/pop side of Muse). Especially the accents on certain words in the prechorus. I think it's some of if not the best music in that style that they've written.

The second half was a bit dull and typical ballady post BHAR Muse (so it was good but nothing special) but it does grow on you. Reminded me a lot of "come to me, trust in a dream, come on and rescue me" when he starts singing ballad style so I think the association with Madness, a song I never really liked, unfairly made it lose a few points in my mind.

Lyrics are way better than Psycho, not great, but pretty good, and they manage to have a lot of emotion even if it's not poetry. "The greatest guy" is out of place but it's not too weird.

This song is probably going to be getting a lot of radio play like Madness and reel in new fans but I'll be a lot more happy about it.

blends quite nicely into Psycho too as many have said.

Really don't get this :LOL: Granted, I don't have the proper version of either song on my iTunes (ripped it from YT until I get the CD, I'm aware Psycho starts differently) but the two really don't seem like they flow together particularly well.

On a side note, I'm liking the use of more vocoders/vocal effects so far on this album. The robot-y 'dead inside' bit is pretty cool.

I interpreted the lyrics as being about people being perceived one way to the outside world while trying to hide the chaos within them, and it's two damaged people in a damaged relationship. The main character is obviously in pain. I'm not even bothered by the poorly written lyrics, because the song still comes across as really dark to me.

:yesey:

a couple of people mentioned that and I simply can't imagine why... there's absolutely nothing bond-ish about it.

The "your lips feel warm" melodies feel really Bond theme-y to me and the lyrical content about teaching to kill and lie without remorse etc. really evokes the Daniel Craig films to me.

Anyway, I really like the song. it make me more hopeful for the album than Psycho actually.

This song proves to me that Matt can still write something I can relate to almost as much as Showbiz, even if he does it in his more modern-era-Muse-clumsy way. This song hits pretty close to home for me, personally.

I think what people fail to understand is that he just doesn't write lyrics as eloquently as he used to. The last good album that was lyrically strong in that sense was BHAR. We're past that stage. It doesn't mean that the content of the lyrics can't still be good.

Really don't get this :LOL: Granted, I don't have the proper version of either song on my iTunes (ripped it from YT until I get the CD, I'm aware Psycho starts differently) but the two really don't seem like they flow together particularly well.

On a side note, I'm liking the use of more vocoders/vocal effects so far on this album. The robot-y 'dead inside' bit is pretty cool.

Yeah, I feel the change from Dead Inside into Drill Sergeant into Psycho is going to be a bit weird. Might sound better, when heard as a whole on the CD but the shift from electro-pop into hard-blues-rock is going to be hard to pull off.

One of the main critiques from the reviewers on T2L, was that the shifts in genres and styles were too sudden... I have to agree, a smoother change would've been nicer on that album. Survival into Follow Me did seem a bit strange...

Edited by GodNeverPaid

This song proves to me that Matt can still write something I can relate to almost as much as Showbiz, even if he does it in his more modern-era-Muse-clumsy way. This song hits pretty close to home for me, personally.

I think what people fail to understand is that he just doesn't write lyrics as eloquently as he used to. The last good album that was lyrically strong in that sense was BHAR. We're past that stage. It doesn't mean that the content of the lyrics can't still be good.

This.

I get chills from this I don't get from Madness, or Undisclosed Desires, etc, etc, etc.

I think the 'greatest guy'/'dead inside' juxtaposition is brilliant, it really captures what I perceive to be the theme/tone/ethos of the album. It's so stark.

Blind devotion is horrible. You can be a "true fan" and not love everything the band puts out. Or is "real fans" the better phrase here? Yeah.

This quote should be at the top of every thread. Obviously we all took the time to make an account and post here because we love this band. That's why we get so passionate about it sometimes. Bothers me when people tell others to get off the board then for disliking something.

This quote should be at the top of every thread. Obviously we all took the time to make an account and post here because we love this band. That's why we get so passionate about it sometimes. Bothers me when people tell others to get off the board then for disliking something.

Get off the board.

I definitely get Bond vibes from the video. Not the song on it's own though, but definitely a bit from the way things come together in the song and video combined. It reminds me mostly of some Roger Moore ones I think.

The bass in the verses kinda reminds me of the chorus of Exo-Politics. Love the guitar in the second verse..

I'll still buy the record, I'm a Muse fan nonetheless. Just happen to dislike the song and the potential it gives the record. 2/3 are decent odds. I just want the band I like to play new riffs, and don't want to be that "I just listen to the older albums" prick.

Don't worry about riffs... There are a bunch already from the songs/snippets we've been given.