Do you like Dead Inside?  

569 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Dead Inside?

• Yes
    • No

How is he stupid? Muse massively changed their direction after Absolution yet we are all here discussing them (negatively or positively) still. The reason for that is they still hold appeal to most fans. Those who genuinely dislike the recent Muse wouldn't even grace these very pages. I don't like Coldplay, but I don't infiltrate their forums to berate them. We all love Muse really I think.

Exactly to my point that this message board represents Muse's audience to some degree of past, present or future. People may disagree with the band's direction but still care enough to come here and voice their opinions. Aside from the few inevitable trolls, that sounds like a fan base to me.

what? Dead Inside is about the person standing in the relationship after what happened and Matt is taking all the credit in the lyrics. If you are teached you need to have the will to learn.

Dead Inside describes aswell what brought him into that situation '' It is like I died long ago ''

While Taylor is still talking about what others think and the reaction seems like the reaction of a pissed child still not knowing how the interact with itself and others.

The deep psychological meaning for Taylor is '' I still look for others to give me confidence but I can't find it so I fake it''

While Dead inside is

'' I don't know how it came to these but I want to find the source and I simply feel terrible but it is okay''

No idea why you quoted the lyrics to Shake It Off. The message is pretty much "haters gonna hate".

I don't think you're very good at interpreting lyrics. Let's go through them:

"Revere a million prayers

And draw me into your holiness

But there's nothing there

Light only shines from those who share"

Starts off with kinda describing what their relationship was like probably. He worshiped her but has realised that omg, she isn't a nice person!!

"Unleash a million drones

And confine me then erase me babe

Do you have no soul?

It's like I died long ago"

He's talking to her, so the "It's like I died long ago" isn't about him admitting to anything, it's about how she sees him.

"Your lips feel warm to the touch

You can bring me back to life

On the outside you're ablaze and alive

But you're dead inside"

Basically "You're so fucking special...but you're a creep".

"You're free to touch the sky

Whilst I am crushed and pulverised

Because you need control

Now I'm the one who's letting go"

He talks about how she has all the freedom in their relationship while he's confined. But now he's finally getting out of that abusive relationship.

"You like to give an inch

Whilst I am giving infinty

But now I've got nothing left

You have no cares and I'm bereft"

He gives her everything but gets nothing in return.

"Your skin feels warm to caress

I see magic in your eyes

But you're dead inside" Special creep etc

"Feel me now

Hold me please

I need you to see who I am

Open up to me

Stop hiding from me

It's hurting me"

"I know you're not really dead inside, and it's hurting us both that you can't open up"

"Only you can stop the pain"

You're so fucking special

"Don't leave me out in the cold

Don't leave me out to die"

Open up pls

"I gave you everything

I can't give you any more

Now I've become just like you"

I've done all I can, and now I've ended up just as cold and self-centered as you

"My lips feel warm to the touch

But my words seem so alive

My skin warm to caress

I'll control and hypnotize

You've taught me to lie without a trace

And to kill with no remorse

On the outside I'm the greatest guy

Now I'm dead inside"

I look alive but I'm dead inside, and it's all because of you. You taught me to lie.

Honestly how you interpret that as the protagonist taking responsibility for anything that happened between them is beyond me.

And lol at your interpretation of Swift.

No idea why you quoted the lyrics to Shake It Off. The message is pretty much "haters gonna hate".

I don't think you're very good at interpreting lyrics. Let's go through them:

"Revere a million prayers

And draw me into your holiness

But there's nothing there

Light only shines from those who share"

Starts off with kinda describing what their relationship was like probably. He worshiped her but has realised that omg, she isn't a nice person!!

"Unleash a million drones

And confine me then erase me babe

Do you have no soul?

It's like I died long ago"

He's talking to her, so the "It's like I died long ago" isn't about him admitting to anything, it's about how she sees him.

"Your lips feel warm to the touch

You can bring me back to life

But you're dead inside"

Basically "You're so fucking special...but you're a creep".

"You're free to touch the sky

Whilst I am crushed and pulverised

Because you need control

Now I'm the one who's letting go"

He talks about how she has all the freedom in their relationship while he's confined. But now he's finally getting out of that abusive relationship.

"You like to give an inch

Whilst I am giving infinty

But now I've got nothing left

You have no cares and I'm bereft"

He gives her everything but gets nothing in return.

"Your skin feels warm to caress

I see magic in your eyes

But you're dead inside" Special creep etc

"Feel me now

Hold me please

I need you to see who I am

Open up to me

Stop hiding from me

It's hurting me"

"I know you're not really dead inside, and it's hurting us both that you can't open up"

"Only you can stop the pain"

You're so fucking special

Don't leave me out to die"

Open up pls

"I gave you everything

Now I've become just like you"

I've done all I can, and now I've ended up just as cold and self-centered as you

"My lips feel warm to the touch

My skin warm to caress

Now I'm dead inside"

I look alive but I'm dead inside, and it's all because of you. You taught me to lie.

Honestly how you interpret that as the protagonist taking responsibility for anything that happened between them is beyond me.

And lol at your interpretation of Swift.

simply said

dead inside is crying about what happened and lines like you teached me imply that the protagonist is willing to learn which already shows that he somehow chose this path but he does not know

and shake it out is not about haters gonna hate

If your self esteem is high enough your attention for the haters does simply not exist

She is singing about beeing indipendent but the choice of words is still taking all of the outside world far too serious to truly not care.

Better go with Florence or Selah Sue for self therapy like messages

Blind devotion is horrible. You can be a "true fan" and not love everything.

I'd put it this way. The biggest fans or maybe most faithful fans love both but they should not love it all only out of a sense of loyalty or obligation. Just like people shouldn't automatically dismiss the new stuff because it doesn't sound like the old stuff.

@tjet

So...your assertion is that Muse does not make music with the intent to sell it to their target audience as represented by a Muse message board on their own website? Okay then. That sounds reasonable.

What on earth have I posted that gave that impression? When did we even start talking about target audiences and Muse's intent with making music?

"as represented by a Muse messageboard", THAT is the issue, not any of the other crap. Now read below, and please try to understand it this time:

Exactly to my point that this message board represents Muse's audience to some degree of past, present or future. People may disagree with the band's direction but still care enough to come here and voice their opinions. Aside from the few inevitable trolls, that sounds like a fan base to me.

Jesus christ. No one is saying this board isn't part of the fan base. What I said was that you can't base your "observation" of the fanbase and think that it applies to a larger demographic simply by reading about 10 posts in a forum with thousands of users. It's about as valid as asking one person in a group of ten people, and then assuming that's representative of them all, simply because they're all in the same place. Even worse, you're assuming that because of that one person, you can make assumptions about everyone who fits into that group, despite not even being part of it.

I'm a real Muse fan and I like all their songs...

I just do... Not because, I just obediently and blindly follow whatever they put out but because I genuinely just enjoy a huge variety of music. I think variety is the very nature of Muse. To be diverse and "all over the place!" and not defined and put in a little box. If you can't deal with multiple genres, why on Earth would you even bother dealing with Muse?

Blind devotion is horrible. You can be a "true fan" and not love everything the band puts out. Or is "real fans" the better phrase here? Yeah.

:yesey: This.

I don't understand blind devotion. I like what I like and that's it. There's some old muse songs that I find dreadful, and there's some new muse songs that I love as much as some older ones.

Aw, you poor thing.

Literally same shit as usual. "Riffs or no preorder" is the prevailing mentality here. Sad people judge music based on what they want like they're at a Muse buffet instead of actually picking what they like from the Muse menu given to them. Like one record? Listen to it. Don't like the new stuff? Don't. Don't complain about feeling cheated when you were never entitled to anything in the first place. (Post not directed at you, Tjet)

simply said

dead inside is crying about what happened and lines like you teached me imply that the protagonist is willing to learn which already shows that he somehow chose this path but he does not know

and shake it out is not about haters gonna hate

If your self esteem is high enough your attention for the haters does simply not exist

She is singing about beeing indipendent but the choice of words is still taking all of the outside world far too serious to truly not care.

Better go with Florence or Selah Sue for self therapy like messages

No idea what "teached me imply" means, there really isn't anything in the song about being willing to learn. Willing to learn what?

Yes you could argue that someone who doesn't care about haters wouldn't make a song about it...that doesn't mean it isn't what the song is about. And you haven't considered that she might be trying to send out a message? In a world where the media is fucking everywhere, and people accept it as part of our society, ignoring it really does no good. Talking about how fucked up it is and how to deal with it does a lot more good.

I'm a real Muse fan and I like all their songs...

I just do... Not because, I just obediently and blindly follow whatever they put out but because I genuinely just enjoy a huge variety of music. I think variety is the very nature of Muse. To be diverse and "all over the place!" and not defined and put in a little box. If you can't deal with multiple genres, why on Earth would you even bother dealing with Muse?

There's no need to assume people who don't like every single Muse song does not do so because of the genres. And Muse don't dwell in that many genres to begin with. I love loads of pop, rock, electro and combinations thereof. Doesn't mean I like Guiding Light, NSC and Madness.

No idea what "teached me imply" means, there really isn't anything in the song about being willing to learn. Willing to learn what?

Yes you could argue that someone who doesn't care about haters wouldn't make a song about it...that doesn't mean it isn't what the song is about. And you haven't considered that she might be trying to send out a message? In a world where the media is fucking everywhere, and people accept it as part of our society, ignoring it really does no good. Talking about how fucked up it is and how to deal with it does a lot more good.

''You've taught me to lie without a trace'' ( dead inside ) beeing taught implies that you are willing to learn.

Not caring songs that are good

Shake it out - Florence and the machine

Black Part Love - Selah Sue

The words Taylor used already give away the information that she meant that she still cares.

Articulation is also giving away your inner thoughts without you really beeing able to hide it. Taylor Swift's lyrics are really easy too look through adding on top of the lungs singing which is only possible when you are not really confident about yourself

Literally same shit as usual. "Riffs or no preorder" is the prevailing mentality here. Sad people judge music based on what they want like they're at a Muse buffet instead of actually picking what they like from the Muse menu given to them. Like one record? Listen to it. Don't like the new stuff? Don't. Don't complain about feeling cheated when you were never entitled to anything in the first place. (Post not directed at you, Tjet)

Essentially.

I consider myself to be a pretty big dir en grey fan but I think they're recent albums are utter shit for the most part. Do I bitch about it? No I just listen to the albums I actually do like.

Same goes for NIN who are tied for my favourite band - lol @ year zero

There's no need to assume people who don't like every single Muse song does not do so because of the genres. And Muse don't dwell in that many genres to begin with. I love loads of pop, rock, electro and combinations thereof. Doesn't mean I like Guiding Light, NSC and Madness.

nicely said, same thing with me.

What? Dead Inside is literally about a guy whining about the way he's been treated despite being a nice guy, and ends up blaming the other person for who he's become.

Don't leave me out to die

I gave you everything

Now I've become just like you

My lips feel warm to the touch

My skin warm to caress

Now I'm dead inside"

Meanwhile, Shake It Off is about learning to ignore the people who try to pick others (celebrities especially) apart. And Blank Space makes fun of the media and its obsession with celebrities personal lives.

"Even I knew you were trouble is just a complaining about regrets and not really about self made decisions", not even sure what this means. It's about someone who blames themselves for being treated badly. Perhaps sarcastically, but does it really matter?

I wouldn't quite say its whining about being a nice guy. Personally, I feel like the "greatest guy" is what a certain someone may have called him and is a jab at that. Definitely feeling more of a lack of reciprocation sadness from this song rather than a nice guy approach. Probably because I can relate to it but yeah Matt doesn't strike me as the type to complain from a "nice guy" POV; I see it as more of a front he puts on albeit feeling tortured inside

Even worse, you're assuming that because of that one person, you can make assumptions about everyone who fits into that group, despite not even being part of it.

And you seem to be assuming that I was trying to make a statistically valid scientific conclusion that could withstand a peer review board. It was just a tongue-in-cheek comment on an internet message board.

We're comparing Muse to Taylor Swift and U2 here, not trying to cure cancer.

''You've taught me to lie without a trace'' ( dead inside ) beeing taught implies that you are willing to learn.

Not caring songs that are good

Shake it out - Florence and the machine

Black Part Love - Selah Sue

The words Taylor used already give away the information that she meant that she still cares.

Articulation is also giving away your inner thoughts without you really beeing able to hide it. Taylor Swift's lyrics are really easy too look through adding on top of the lungs singing which is only possible when you are not really confident about yourself

Yes, you have understood the meaning of the word taught, but I don't think you understand the context. He's talking about becoming like her, dead inside. Lying without a trace means to be a good liar, which is what he considered her. It really isn't about becoming a better person or taking the blame or anything like that.

That second part is just a mystery to me.

I wouldn't quite say its whining about being a nice guy. Personally, I feel like the "greatest guy" is what a certain someone may have called him and is a jab at that. Definitely feeling more of a lack of reciprocation sadness from this song rather than a nice guy approach. Probably because I can relate to it but yeah Matt doesn't strike me as the type to complain from a "nice guy" POV; I see it as more of a front he puts on albeit feeling tortured inside

Yeah I know that's not really the purpose of that line. It's more about him saying he's not what others perceive him as.

But others parts of the song, as you can see in my spoiler tagged breakdown, are basically about him giving everything and not getting anything back. That's what I was referring to.