Do you like Dead Inside?  

569 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Dead Inside?

• Yes
    • No

I wish the song ended abruptly on the last "Dead Inside!" rather than repeating the beat and vocoder. I feel that would have been a more effective ending going into Drill Sergeant. Also because it begins suddenly that way, I think it should've ended the same, except now he is the one who is dead inside. Just a tiny qualm.

I wish the song ended abruptly on the last "Dead Inside!" rather than repeating the beat and vocoder. I feel that would have been a more effective ending going into Drill Sergeant. Also because it begins suddenly that way, I think it should've ended the same, except now he is the one who is dead inside. Just a tiny qualm.

How much I agree with this...

New theory: character in Dead Inside, heartbroken early in the song, ends up killing his ex (with no remorse) and lying about it (without a trace). The 'greatest guy' line which everyone seems to have a problem with is him putting on a front, although he's dead inside. Then he ends up joining the military (in Psycho), like some sort of Bad Lads Army (ITV programme from yesteryear).

I find that this theory has greatly enhanced my enjoyment of the whole song.

Still don't like it, and after 5 or so listens I can barely remember it. No Muse song has ever proved totally forgettable to me before in this way.

I suppose, if anything, it'll be a chance for a 5 minute breather at Download. Provided the whole set is as mental as it should be.

Some idea I was thinking about, I believe NSC, Madness and Dead Inside could very well form a storyline of the span of a relationship ( I know Matt wrote NSC from a rear view perspective).

I actually had this feeling that (at least in the US) they would play Madness and then Dead Inside, back to back.

I think Madness is a given for the US, at any rate. Why not make it uncomfortable? :chuckle:

I've grown to like like the song, after the initial shock & disappointment, and now I find it to be quite emotional actually. "The greatest guy" bit I can somehow ignore, but I just don't get why the " You've taught me to kill with no remorse" line is there,are we supposed to take it literally? :stunned:

As people have said, the end of Dead Inside leads into Psycho directly.

Psycho continues the theme of making this person a killer (Kill on my command) and the woman in Dead Inside is a psychopath who helps turn the protagonist into a psychopath at the end (thus the "greatest guy, but dead inside." Psychos are highly manipulative.)

Also, someone asked why "infinity" instead of "everything" and he says the "I gave everything" line at the end to indicate it's over and he has nothing left. "Infinity" gives the impression that he's still giving at that point, being completely and continuously drained.

Pretty much. Still wonder what the 'unleash a million drones' line means I'm matt's mind

Could be a lot of things, I suppose. That person's sycophantic friends, fans, paparazzi, etc.

Or nothing, and "drones" just needs to be in every song.

I actually had this feeling that (at least in the US) they would play Madness and then Dead Inside, back to back.

I think Madness is a given for the US, at any rate. Why not make it uncomfortable? :chuckle:

:LOL: It was already uncomfortable with Madness in the set, because, at least at the Charlotte show I went to, I'd say at least 50% of the people there were there to hear Madness. I think they imagined more of the same from Muse, and didn't expect Madness to be the outlier. I'm all for making it even more uncomfortable! :)

:LOL: It was already uncomfortable with Madness in the set, because, at least at the Charlotte show I went to, I'd say at least 50% of the people there were there to hear Madness. I think they imagined more of the same from Muse, and didn't expect Madness to be the outlier. I'm all for making it even more uncomfortable! :)

If Madness fans were put off by the rest of the album, it would be interesting to see how someone who hears Dead Inside on the radio would react to Psycho/Reapers and if the rest of the album is heavy. :chuckle:

DI seems like much more of an outlier than Madness.

I've just listened to Dead Inside then Psycho. They really does make sense together. The context they give each other elevates them both.

They would flow into each other much better if Drill Sergeant will say:

"Who the *uck do you think you are?

A greatest guy? Hah?

You're a pussy!"

:LOL:

Good idea! I agree that would help the flow

On the topic of potential set lists, I was kinda hoping that, seeing as this is supposed to be an actual concept album that live they'd play straight trough Dead Inside to Aftermath and have the whole story be presented on stage then play Madness, TIRO, KoC etc...as well as The Globalist and Drones (if they are in fact not part of the story)

Maybe it's not probable, but my wishful thinking nonetheless.

I thought that about Psycho, when I heard it I thought it would be better by ending somewhat abruptly on the "Fucking Pschooo" part, letting the Psycho slightly ring out.

On the topic of potential set lists, I was kinda hoping that, seeing as this is supposed to be an actual concept album that live they'd play straight trough Dead Inside to Aftermath and have the whole story be presented on stage then play Madness, TIRO, KoC etc...as well as The Globalist and Drones (if they are in fact not part of the story)

Maybe it's not probable, but my wishful thinking nonetheless.

My idea for the Drones tour would be to play the album in order Dead Inside through to Drones, but fit other songs in between that make sense to the story.

Examples

Supermassive Black Hole could maybe start the set - before the protagonist is dead inside

Assassin after Psycho

Uprising maybe before Defector/Revolt - like Matt said, the protagonist fights back/

Citizen Erased before The Globalist ;)

They'll play the whole album on the inevitable arena tour. Calling it now.

I'd be down for that, assuming it's a good enough album obvs :chuckle: Highly doubt they'd do it at every gig or even most like that person suggested but at a couple of gigs, like they did with BHAR, I can see it happening.

I reckon in the end the world is saved by an augment of the radiation of the sun, making people feel empaty again. The drone maker is swallowed by a black hole and the sky at night is prettier due to a collision of stars.

That means the three songs they must play at the end of every concert are these:

Supermassive Black Hole

Starlight

Neutron Star Collision