This is true but this mindset is becoming more and more common and in some gigs it's becoming impossible to escape the talkers.

So confused by it all.

evolution of american rock concerts? i'm not saying that it's right or respectful, but it is what it is. if you don't have the gusto to speak up to ask them to stop then you can't complain about it happening

evolution of american rock concerts? i'm not saying that it's right or respectful, but it is what it is. if you don't have the gusto to speak up to ask them to stop then you can't complain about it happening

I'm not American.

It has been increasing in the UK a lot over the last 2-3 years. Asking people to move so you can see, or asking them to be quiet doesn't work because usually the reaction is either outright 'what the fuck is your problem?' or just a look and then carrying on shouting.

The last gig I went to the crowd were a disgrace. People were shrieking at each other over the band and punching the bar shutters and storming off looking for beer during the encore. The wall of noise was constant for the whole time the band were performing. It was unreal.

When people talk through songs. :noey:

When people talk or TEXT through songs, especially if you are in GA. During the Boston show there was a couple who were sitting on the barrier, scrolling through instagram during Muse's set. I don't understand people who waste money for a show just to be on their phone the whole time.

You seriously think someone who doesn't have the common sense/decency to not act like an asshole during a song/entire concert will properly react to being confronted about said behavior?

When people talk or TEXT through songs, especially if you are in GA. During the Boston show there was a couple who were sitting on the barrier, scrolling through instagram during Muse's set. I don't understand people who waste money for a show just to be on their phone the whole time.

Ugh.

You seriously think someone who doesn't have the common sense/decency to not act like an asshole during a song/entire concert will properly react to being confronted about said behavior?

Ignore shitposts like his lol who is he to tell anyone their complaints are invalid because of some arbitrary rule he came up with

No idea, completely variable situation. I also made no such reference that someone would react appropriately at all, so I don't know why you're assuming that's what I was thinking

Ignore shitposts like his lol who is he to tell anyone their complaints are invalid because of some arbitrary rule he came up with

I didn't come up with any arbitrary rule. All I said is if someone is acting inappropriately your choices are to confront them or remove yourself from the situation. Pretty basic shit, you all are putting words in my mouth

Edited by MusersAdvocate

I didn't come up with any arbitrary rule. All I said is if someone is acting inappropriately your choices are to confront them or remove yourself from the situation. Pretty basic shit, you all are putting words in my mouth

Again you're dictating what someone's choices are "in the moment" when the whole purpose of the original purpose wasn't about that specific moment as much as it was about discussing an inconvenient trend. So no, I'm not putting any words in your mouth

The band and crew and security should be responsible for handling disruptions. Especially on the barrier where it's most visible where the choice is literally give up your spot you've waited for 10 hours or listen to two sisters having a conversation during the songs. Audiences should be held to a higher standard overall I think.

While it is a rock gig, people paid good money to see and hear a performance, not listen to some bullshit conversation that could totally wait until after the show, or at least the damn songs.

Pretty much. Lol

My big issue with them, and my original point, was that they professed to be huge fans. They tried getting my spot by force and when that failed, telling me what big "Musers" they were. Then spending an hour talking about why Matt,s girlfriend wasn't good enough for him before proving that they didn't know half the songs and weren't interested in listening.

My point was that people do indeed go to shows not knowing the songs, and it was super depressing to see fans fall into that category. These girls knew all the gossip, and even knew some of the superfans by name, but talked through most of the gig and went crazy for three songs

I wasn't about to lose my second tier spot over them, and it probably wouldn't have helped. The sound in Philly was shit, and even a normal volume conversation would drown it out

Vocals and guitar were way too low and fluctuated the entire gig, and there was a pervasive tinny sound

Was a bit better in DC

Edited by SerpentSatellite

imo, there's jumping, and there's being a twat. Especially if you're the only one in the crowd acting like that.

Bf took me to AFI, for example, and there was a girl behind us who was jumping into and actually hitting other people around us, and she was the ONLY one acting that way. She did eventually get removed.

I don't feel great about the people who had both arms in the air 100% of the gig, either, because obviously that blocks every single person behind them (and in the case of Muse, to the sides of them) from enjoying watching the show at all.

Moving isn't really always an option.

I think you can enjoy yourself without being completely disrespectful to everyone else around you.

Jumping off of the crowd etiquette discussion, one could draw parallels to moviegoers who talk and text. The difference here is that concerts are much more expensive and even more time consuming/schedule demanding, especially if you have to travel. So it makes even less sense.

As someone pointed out, the 360 stage had its tradeoffs, one being that the barrier types are spread out all around vs a traditional stage. In LV I was right by the barrier in the middle. It was cool to be closer to the band but the whole atmosphere suffered due to the crowd around me. There was only one person near me who was well versed, and he was higher than high and blending all the words haha. A lot of the women just wanted to dance and didn't know what to do when the heavier songs came on.

It's been said, but smaller venues might help with this problem.