I'm not complaining about it. I just don't entirely agree with the assertion that their sets were so constrained by the theatrics of the show. They may have been to a point but their non adherence to the Drones theme meant that they could have been more flexible. That's all.

yeah i feel you. im sure they couldve been more flexible, but as i said from fan reactions most nights it wouldn't have made much sense to play anything pre-absolution sadly

I'm not blaming them for sets exactly, I don't think (although Muse have been going long enough now to know which sets the majority of the crowd want). If you see people bouncing to song X, you'll play it again.

They clearly know what kind of set is big for a rock crowd but they bypassed that. In 2009 they were going on a mission to get popular in the US, which for them (and probably with good reason), meant to push poppier and radio friendly hits. It worked kinda, their popularity grew a lot but they had to abandon a heavier crowd that they had more solidified elsewhere.

They later regretted some of those actions, and they might have remained frustrated about it all since when they stopped they ended up without a rock crowd and with dwindling sales compared to that Resistance era.

If that truly is what the audiences are like, and if Muse are genuinely unhappy playing to that audience, then why don't they just ditch all the fancy production, ditch playing arenas and go back to touring the US in 1000-2000 capacity theatres.

Might be some pride level. They tried really hard to get to the arena level and it's still been a weak victory. They've shown their intention of wanting to give everyone the best stage possible (every tour they bring a little more to Japan and push on the expenses to Australia).

...but as i said from fan reactions most nights it wouldn't have made much sense to play anything pre-absolution sadly

The flip side is that, for the same reasons, it didn't make much sense not to play more from pre-Absolution. If fans were only there to see Madness, Resistance and Starlight anyway, it couldn't have hurt to play Origin songs with more regularity. Are Hysteria, UD and Map so much better known among casuals than PIB and CE? And, in the end, who cares? They still got to hear the handful of songs they wanted.

For better or worse, it's probably more surprising that they barely acknowledged The 2nd Law.

The flip side is that, for the same reasons, it didn't make much sense not to play more from pre-Absolution. If fans were only there to see Madness, Resistance and Starlight anyway, it couldn't have hurt to play Origin songs with more regularity. Are Hysteria, UD and Map so much better known among casuals than PIB and CE? And, in the end, who cares? They still got to hear the handful of songs they wanted.

For better or worse, it's probably more surprising that they barely acknowledged The 2nd Law.

yeah i think about that often. i guess the bands prerogative seems to be just get them involved as best as possible. yeah i actually have been very surprised at lack of T2L, especially with how popular panic station was here and follow me was also well received

yeah i think about that often. i guess the bands prerogative seems to be just get them involved as best as possible.

I mentioned in a post yesterday about how Green Day still play a few songs from their pre-Dookie indie days for the hardcore fans. They don't really consider that some of the crowd may just be there to hear Time of Your Life, American Idiot and Boulevard of Broken Dreams.

Their attitude is not to act apologetic about performing a rarity as much as encouraging the newbies to check out Kerplunk.

I mentioned in a post yesterday about how Green Day still play a few songs from their pre-Dookie indie days for the hardcore fans. They don't really consider that some of the crowd may just be there to hear Time of Your Life, American Idiot and Boulevard of Broken Dreams.

Their attitude is not to act apologetic about performing a rarity as much as encouraging the newbies to check out Kerplunk.

yeah i remember seeing that. i dont disagree, the only way Muse could get people to get into older albums more would be to play songs from them, but for whatever reasons they seem hesitant to do so

And here's the reason why I and many others seem to prefer harmless song speculation over this endless crap cycle of "Do Muse hate the US or not?".

Only a Muse forum can prefer cycles of negativity over cycles of positive and possibly blind faith.

Maybe it's the management who gave or gives advise what to do in the US? or the record company? But on tbe other band, Muse is so big that this shouldn't be the case.

I remember from an interview, was it before Wheanie Roast (right spelling?) when Dom wanted to play Handler and Matt said that a certain xy wouldn't want this or something like that...was it someone from the management who decides what to play then?

Maybe it's the management who gave or gives advise what to do in the US? or the record company? But on tbe other band, Muse is so big that this shouldn't be the case.

I remember from an interview, was it before Wheanie Roast (right spelling?) when Dom wanted to play Handler and Matt said that a certain xy wouldn't want this or something like that...was it someone from the management who decides what to play then?

That was management pre-release. Maybe the video wasn't ready yet and if it was, I doubt The Handler would've gotten as many views as it did if they had debuted it live first.

Yes. In fact it would be relatively straightforward to have a list of all NIN songs and all Muse songs and you could pair up most from each as being rather similar in either style and/or structure.

Then they'd copy NINs setlists and see that Wish opens a shit load of gigs. Then Muse would open a shit load of gigs with Dead Star.

Gave it a go:

NIN

1. Copy of A

2. Sanctified

3. Came Back Haunted

4. 1,000,000

5. March of the Pigs

6. Reptile

7. Terrible Lie

8. Closer

9. Gave Up

10. Disappointed

11. Find My Way

12. The Great Destroyer

13. Eraser

14. Wish

15. The Hand That Feeds

16. Head Like a Hole

Encore:

17. Hurt

Muse

1. Take A Bow

2. Fury

3. Madness

4. Hyper Music

5. Agitated/Yes Please

6. The Handler

7. Psycho

8. Megalomania

9. The Small Print

10. Sing for Absolution

11. Isolated System

12. Unsustainable

13. Showbiz

14. Dead Star

15. Uprising

16. Reapers

Encore:

17. Rules by Secrecy

I tried to stick to songs that are on a proper release, or that there is a chance of them playing at some point. Some of its a bit of a stretch, but I'd be all for a setlist like that with a bit of reshuffling.

i have long thought deep down the meaning to the handler could be referring to warner brothers. in your scenario...it makes more sense. :D

Gave it a go:

NIN

1. Copy of A

2. Sanctified

3. Came Back Haunted

4. 1,000,000

5. March of the Pigs

6. Reptile

7. Terrible Lie

8. Closer

9. Gave Up

10. Disappointed

11. Find My Way

12. The Great Destroyer

13. Eraser

14. Wish

15. The Hand That Feeds

16. Head Like a Hole

Encore:

17. Hurt

Muse

1. Take A Bow

2. Fury

3. Madness

4. Hyper Music

5. Agitated/Yes Please

6. The Handler

7. Psycho

8. Megalomania

9. The Small Print

10. Sing for Absolution

11. Isolated System

12. Unsustainable

13. Showbiz

14. Dead Star

15. Uprising

16. Reapers

Encore:

17. Rules by Secrecy

I tried to stick to songs that are on a proper release, or that there is a chance of them playing at some point. Some of its a bit of a stretch, but I'd be all for a setlist like that with a bit of reshuffling.

I'll do one tomorrow. A lot of the ones I'd go with are similar to yours, but if I pair Hurt with anything it would be Hyper Chondriac Music.

And here's the reason why I and many others seem to prefer harmless song speculation over this endless crap cycle of "Do Muse hate the US or not?".

Only a Muse forum can prefer cycles of negativity over cycles of positive and possibly blind faith.

Must be nice not hearing Americans complain about bad setlists at any cost, eh?