I know how it looks but I from Matt's standpoint there's no reason to do it, I know that guy made a joke in twitter about him always messing up the solo but he took that as a joke right? I think we need more clips instead of just this one

People make fun of him all the time, and he's even responded to jokes about the solo, his teeth, his hair... oh wait...

The other night's clip it looks like he's playing the part correctly as far as I can see, but that would be the intent, wouldn't it...?

I know that looking at that evidence points to a backing track. I'm just thinking logically why would he do it? And because he makes a mistake half way through the song how hard would it be to fade in a backing track for the solo section without it being really jarring and no-one noticing at the show? He's played the song at almost all if not every gig since download...

I know how it looks but I from Matt's standpoint there's no reason to do it, I know that guy made a joke in twitter about him always messing up the solo but he took that as a joke right? I think we need more clips instead of just this one

Logic isn't Muse's strong point tbf. Like I said, these shows are bigger, more publicised and way more heavily scripted. He took the Tweet in jest but it still showed that people were noticing it.

It does seem mental, especially for a band that's been notoriously against miming on television for 16 years. But for this to happen coupled with him suddenly playing the solo flawlessly two nights in a row after months of little fuck-ups? It's a bit suspect. I guess we'll have to see over the next couple of gigs.

Well, he is really :LOL: He's been playing in a professional situation for what, 20 years? If he is actually miming guitar then that's absolutely ridiculous, unless there's a genuine (like medical or whatever) reason behind it

I've not really kept up with this tour, but it sounds like a bit of a shambles from the little I've seen..

I meant my boyfriend isn't a pro! :LOL:

He's literally just in the process of teaching himself to play using YouTube... and now he's pointing out what he thinks are mistakes.

And wants me to shell out for one of those silly MBC-1s for him...

If there's a genuine reason Matt's not only putting down the guitar entirely, but faking bits of what he appears to be playing, they should just put fucking Morgan on the proper stage. If Morgan can't play those parts... I don't know... why are they writing them, then? Play it differently live, or something. Don't fake it.

I meant my boyfriend isn't a pro! :LOL:

He's literally just in the process of teaching himself to play using YouTube... and now he's pointing out what he thinks are mistakes.

And wants me to shell out for one of those silly MBC-1s for him...

If there's a genuine reason Matt's not only putting down the guitar entirely, but faking bits of what he appears to be playing, they should just put fucking Morgan on the proper stage. If Morgan can't play those parts... I don't know... why are they writing them, then? Play it differently live, or something. Don't fake it.

Yeah, my mistake, I read that completely wrong :LOL:

Basically, unless the audio's been replaced in the video (not likely obviously), or Morgan is playing the guitar part as Dom said, then he's definitely miming. Even the rest of the guitar part sounds a little off, it just doesn't sound live.

What's the deal with Morgan on this tour? Where actually is he? :LOL: I agree though, if he's playing the parts, the crowd shouldn't be duped into thinking it's Matt.

I don't see a point in miming. Because he does with his hands exactly what he is supposed to do, he "plays" the solo and stuff. I think that he is actually trying more when he mimes so people won't recognise it's miming. I don't know. It's just stupid and pointless

I don't see a point in miming. Because he does with his hands exactly what he is supposed to do, he "plays" the solo and stuff. I think that he is actually trying more when he mimes so people won't recognise it's miming. I don't know. It's just stupid and pointless

That's the point of miming, though; you can't TELL he's doing it, but it prevents him from fucking up. He fucked up in this video, for example, and played the wrong part...

I'd rather have just heard the flub up.

you can see him here
and he's not playing guitar...

Is that from the first or second night? Because there's a mistake in the solo there, at the very beginning. If it's from the first maybe that's why he's got the backing track now

Morgan is literally shoved into a tiny manhole in the middle part of the stage, with just his upper part visible from stage level.

Poor Morgan :LOL:

Is that from the first or second night?

I don't know I just tried to see what Morgan was doing for this part

It's not possible to tell from this video.

I assume you're referring to his pick hand not moving, but this solo is all done with hammer-ons and pull-offs. There is no picking required.

You can see Morgan doesn't have a guitar strapped on, and you can see him picking something up at the beginning of the solo.

Also we're talking about the little lead line before the solo when you do need to pick, even if he was hammering/pulling off he's not even on the right frets for that part

I don't know I just tried to see what Morgan was doing for this part

You can see Morgan doesn't have a guitar strapped on, and you can see him picking something up at the beginning of the solo.

Also we're talking about the little lead line before the solo when you do need to pick, even if he was hammering/pulling off he's not even on the right frets for that part

My bad, I was thinking we were talking about Matt still!

Carry on!

I think I saw someone suggest that they pipe in/Morgan plays the little bit before the solo to give Matt breathing room, would that be likely?

He definitely makes identifiable mistakes at times and his guitar is normally noticeably different between performances.

Edit: actually, seeing as he adjusts the settings on his guitar at that point, wouldn't that make sense?

Hold your pants on, everyone!!

Here's another video of The Handler from the last gig. Now, listen VERY carefully to the incriminated point just before the solo.

...He really DOESN'T PLAY the leak CORRECTLY, and you could clearly hear it.

And now, watch the performance during the November 17th night...

...He DOES PLAY it, and his fingers are consequently moving along.

Now what?

Hold your pants on, everyone!!

Here's another video of The Handler from the last gig. Now, listen VERY carefully to the incriminated point just before the solo.

...He really DOESN'T PLAY the leak CORRECTLY, and you could clearly hear it.

To my extremely untrained ear this sounds like he's playing what he saw in the original offending video. Strangely the audio of the original video is completely different...

I think I saw someone suggest that they pipe in/Morgan plays the little bit before the solo to give Matt breathing room, would that be likely?

He definitely makes identifiable mistakes at times and his guitar is normally noticeably different between performances.

I saw that suggested too. Seems extremely unlikely to me. I play guitar (for about 8/9 years, for context) and 'breathing room' just isn't something you need. Unless maybe you've just done a part that aches your wrist/fingers and you could do with a second or two to give them a rest but The Handler doesn't do that, for me at least, and I ain't exactly amazing.

Unless other people have different experiences to me?