I finally uploaded Revolt and The Globalist form the first night if you still want to watch them from the front rows' perspective. Expect lots of screaming, out of tune chanting and off beat clapping; it is the front row after all.

I gave the videos funny names so Warner won't find them and take them down so fast.

November 17th:

Revolt

[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsmXsMZLJU4[/YT]

The Globalist

[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJdjN_eS4ek[/YT]

Edited by aikiclo

Just to remind what this band is capable of

[YT]

[/YT]

They are in the right direction with The Globalist and The Handler. Just change Undisclosed Desires and play Defector and Citizen erased instead.

And play their instruments. And don't play like 3 songs of pure playback, two of which are the same. And extend the setlists.

There really are a lot of things wrong tbh, and it isn't solved by a song or two.

I guess I could have been more clear and said that I think there is something wrong with these setlists, but I attribute that completely to length.

I mean, we're really looking at the same stuff as the festival gigs anyways, but they're damn near as short as the festival shows were, and because they added more Drones songs, one particularly long, it was "fuck off CE/MC/etc." instead of... well, adding two more songs.

And having the gigs technically be hitting near the 2 hour mark is a bit of a downer when the downtime and breaks still exist, and yeah, they've added a ton of playback stuff on top of it.

iirc, Werchter was the one where they really tightened up the gig, got extra songs in the running time, and it was absolutely fabulous because of it?

An extra song or two wouldn't solve all the problems, but if those songs were the stuff we're talking about (ie: not Feeling Good) it would be a nice start. I'd be happy with it.

I had a really painful back and forth with another "really hardcore fan" recently, where they were constantly coming back with "well, they don't do that because they don't HAVE TO!!" "all the fans at the gig really ENJOY the show as it is" "just don't fucking go then."

And sadly, that's really to attitude Muse seems to be catering to.

Sure, they don't HAVE to... but why WOULDN'T they? Playing CE or something isn't going to lower the enjoyment of those fans that apparently are happy with anything, is it?

Then we'd all be happy together.

Edited by SerpentSatellite

iirc, Werchter was the one where they really tightened up the gig, got extra songs in the running time, and it was absolutely fabulous because of it?

Yep. I remember even being slightly taken aback by how quickly they went from AP into PiB. No messing with the fuzz factory or anything.

Edit: Just checked; 9 seconds from the last ring out of AP to the first note of the PiB intro.

Edited by ryanp16

Yep. I remember even being slightly taken aback by how quickly they went from AP into PiB. No messing with the fuzz factory or anything.

Edit: Just checked; 9 seconds from the last ring out of AP to the first note of the PiB intro.

Matt was properly in the zone that night, he had that slight craziness about him that we haven't seen much of in recent years. I guess that's what pre-set partying with royal blood and kasabian does to you :LOL:

Pretty much.

The harder they try to put on a good visual show, the less they actually try to perform.

I believe Matt's over the top gesturing, cam-hugging, barrier walks are an attempt to perform. I'm not sure if they are the main reason he's putting his guitar down, but it seems to be (At least he's mentioned it more often as a reason than health, fatigue or quality of playing problems.)

So in his mind he may actually be performing more by dropping some of his musical/instrumental performance. I (and I believe most of us here) just happen to prefer musicianship over theatrics.

I wouldn't mind an over the top show with acrobats and balloons and confetti and giant mechanical origami mammoths if there was also the option to just see him jump up down and play their instruments on stage as well.That's one of the reasons I'd like to see Morgan out of his hole. I'd enjoy seeing him play instead of pretending he doesn't exist.

I wouldn't mind an over the top show with acrobats and balloons and confetti and giant mechanical origami mammoths if there was also the option to just see him jump up down and play their instruments on stage as well.That's one of the reasons I'd like to see Morgan out of his hole. I'd enjoy seeing him play instead of pretending he doesn't exist.

Is that the plan for the Stade de France 2019 gigs on the next tour Matt talked about on French radio last week? :p

I don't mind the barrier walks, but on the last tour, that felt like the one redeeming feature to Undisclosed Desires being back in the set. So the fact its back is bad enough, but ruining Dead Inside by using that for barrier walks and leaving Morgan in charge of the 6-string is even worse.

EDIT: Actually its weirder, given Matt walks around, gets a guitar for and plays the solo, then goes barrier walkies and leaves Morgan to it. Which is pretty silly.

Edited by forevermusic

I can see it. Next album will be about genetics and bio-engineering. Of course, for the tour, they will create real mammoths to ride while playing, Christ, Dom and Chris mammoths must be adults and of great size, while Morgan can have a medium size animal.

All of this with the over the top lights and lasers. Raptors will be created too, but as everybody knows, they are very dangerous, so they must be kept of cages where no one can see them.

I've actually seen people saying it's good that he doesn't play the guitar to Dead Inside anymore because it saves him energy and improves his vocals.

:LOL:

*sigh* I shouldn't laugh really because it's people like that who enable this shit. It's a sad world.

I've actually seen people saying it's good that he doesn't play the guitar to Dead Inside anymore because it saves him energy and improves his vocals.

I shouldn't laugh really because it's people like that who enable this shit.

Really? I'd say they were actually better during the festivals than in Mexico City.

Also just noticed the Hullabaloons now appear in Starlight. Which is a bit wtf-y. A guitar-less Starlight to boot. Speaking of that particular ditty, I was thinking earlier today that it might be better as a song Matt plays on piano, because it would represent something more interesting and a certain change, and would be more engaging to watch than this lost wandering act he's doing for it.

Then again, if they did do that, they probably would just play that instead of any of the better piano-oriented songs in their catalogue. Or put it in rotation with Feeling Good.

I don't think they're enabled by fan input.

Well, not exactly, but I mean the kind of people who praise the band to high heaven no matter what, pretend they can do wrong and actively try to silence anyone who dares criticise them. If genuine constructive criticism was more vocal and less hampered by blind fanboyism, I think they might actually listen and change things. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking.

Really? I'd say they were actually better during the festivals than in Mexico City.

Well, yeah, the performance from the first night of Mexico was just as bad as some of the worst offenders for DI I've seen this year. But just the idea that playing those few simple chords takes energy and dramatically affects his vocals makes me laugh :chuckle: If anything, running around the barrier does that.

*sigh* I shouldn't laugh really because it's people like that who enable this shit. It's a sad world.

except it really doesn't improve his vocals at all

Wonder what CE would come in for. Bliss/PIB? USOE/AP? The Globalist?

Maybe Bliss/PiB to keep an Origin of Symmetry rotations slot thing going on. Shame if it does and it means only explicitly one Origin song per gig.

Citizen and Feeling Good soundchecked apparently.

Citizen and Feeling Good soundchecked apparently.

I want this for tonight:

JFK + Defector

Drill Sergeant + Psycho

Reapers

Dead Inside

Map of the Problematique/Dead Star (if only)

Isolated System

The Handler

Muscle Museum/Uno

Supermassive Black Hole

Prelude + Starlight

Citizen Erased

Sunburn/Feeling Good/Apocalypse Please

Munich Jam

Madness

Undisclosed Desires

JFK + Revolt

Time is Running Out

Uprising

The Globalist

Drones

Mercy + Confetti

Knights of Cydonia

I don't really think Bellamy is ditching the guitar due to health reasons, or even out of laziness. I agree it's some attempt to be more engaging to his audience, and improve the performance, that obviously seems a bit misguided considering he's been praised heavily throughout his career as an amazing guitarist.

I don't LIKE it, but I'm not angry about it, as long as it doesn't ever impact the songs for which the guitar are more important.

What does make me a bit cranky is the barrier walks where he's completely invisible to most of the crowd during key points of big songs, that only serve to excite a few VIPs and a group of the same fans that sleeps outside all day at gigs. Doesn't seem like a good trade, overall.

If you look around, there's been criticism of him for years in gig reviews about being impassive to the crowd; typically little interaction, and only a few awkward things said per gig between songs.

If you look around, there's been criticism of him for years in gig reviews about being impassive to the crowd; typically little interaction, and only a few awkward things said per gig between songs.

Yeah, I never understood that criticism, they connected through their energy on stage, that really was more than enough. I know Matt has said that he didn't understand why anyone would want to see him jump around on stage, but I really enjoyed that. It connects way more than when he eyefucks a camera and we all get to see it on a big screen.