I've seen so many people now quoting this bit from an interview with Dom in 2007

as if this magically makes the song (or, rather, its theme) good because it's tongue-in-cheek.

Tbh I can't make up my mind. I'm convinced that it's a concept album, and that it's definitely serious in that context, but then if the whole thing is like Matt's fascination with conspiracy theories in general (ie he kinda laughs at it and likes to try and see things from the perspective of those who actually believe it)...I dunno.

If he's seriously trying to send out a message, it's really tacky.

Also, the whole "it's not serious" is basically just the music version of this:

mBN4gzG.png

Going back to these... Yes, Muse has been putting out the "Monty Python" songs for a while, or at least taking that approach to the music.

But, BH&R being a perfect example (and maybe the last example...) where the sillier songs like KoC (and you could argue SMBH) were done right, and the album still delivered some serious, and downright dark moments, as well (TaB, CoD.)

Maybe, despite Psycho sounding like Uprising, Survival and the Hidden Track having a threesome, Drones is the same... but, unfortunately, the last few albums haven't done a good job of making me believe in that.

It's also, as has been said, hard for me to reconcile this rather serious political theme with the tone of Psycho.

Matt seems like he genuinely takes this all seriously, even linking a bunch of articles on the topics involved on his Twitter, and I really wasn't expecting the song to sound like as much of a piss-take as it does. It doesn't mesh with his (supposed) point, at all.

And, despite the fact that I enjoyed much of T2L, and some of TR, quite a bit... I'm just tired of "silly" Muse. :(

Going back to these... Yes, Muse has been putting out the "Monty Python" songs for a while, or at least taking that approach to the music.

But, BH&R being a perfect example (and maybe the last example...) where the sillier songs like KoC (and you could argue SMBH) were done right, and the album still delivered some serious, and downright dark moments, as well (TaB, CoD.)

Maybe, despite Psycho sounding like Uprising, Survival and the Hidden Track having a threesome, Drones is the same... but, unfortunately, the last few albums haven't done a good job of making me believe in that.

It's also, as has been said, hard for me to reconcile this rather serious political theme with the tone of Psycho.

Matt seems like he genuinely takes this all seriously, even linking a bunch of articles on the topics involved on his Twitter, and I really wasn't expecting the song to sound like as much of a piss-take as it does. It doesn't mesh with his (supposed) point, at all.

And, despite the fact that I enjoyed much of T2L, and some of TR, quite a bit... I'm just tired of "silly" Muse. :(

Yep.

I still think that Psycho was just put out there first because it's the most "silly" and "cheesy" and to kind of bring attention to the fact they do have a new album coming out and the album for the most part still will be dark and heavy while maintaining a serious theme - but it's Muse so who really knows until we hear it

could it be that his presence is meant to piss people off? Like an extraneous effect to (really really) drive the point home.

I do think he's meant to look dumb at least - just like the actors for the live performances of animals, they had punchable faces too.

I think so. The track and the intro put the listener in the position of a recruit. I figure that he's there to constantly remind you that "you" are in the military, and that there's no escape from what will be there to come. I also had this theory that the triple repetition of "a fucking psycho" during the bridge echoed the rule of three in writing.

Tbh I can't make up my mind. I'm convinced that it's a concept album, and that it's definitely serious in that context, but then if the whole thing is like Matt's fascination with conspiracy theories in general (ie he kinda laughs at it and likes to try and see things from the perspective of those who actually believe it)...I dunno.

If he's seriously trying to send out a message, it's really tacky.

Also, the whole "it's not serious" is basically just the music version of this:

It's not that out there to believe in a formalized conspiracy at play between governments, industry and the leaders of those corporations, but I think Matt realized that he's relatively sane on the subject of conspiracy theories when people started thinking that the real Matt Bellamy is frozen somewhere to keep the real message from being heard when they signed with a major label and the one we're seeing right now is a reptillian shapeshifter.

Question:

Is the fake psycho that ended up on youtube, Dear Sherlock - Cage, better than real psycho? On some levels yes. At least it sounds serious and more like old Muse than real Muse going back to their roots. Lol.

For the record I enjoy Psycho. Its quite catchy and it rocks pretty hard, will be crazy in the pit live.

I can appreciate their less serious songs. I thought The 2nd Law was fun for that reason, and I still listen to Survival when I need something just completely silly. I even have a laugh at NSC occasionally (although not in a long time).

This is something separate from the Monty Python arguments and issues with the song structure in general. But even reading the above paragraph it's usually very tame reactions. I'll hear Muse do a silly song and I'll think "Hey that's a fun song, nice job Muse". But I'll mostly never have the reaction of a song that just blows me away. Think Ruled By Secrecy or Take A Bow or even MK Ultra that take on these more darker political themes without what I would consider an element of hilarity.

It's not even that I believe that can take this seriously. I know they can because they have done so several times before. People say Matt's not a good lyricist yet when people offer "counter-examples" the list goes on for pages.

Now they've never done this 100%. The Resistance had its more serious tracks towards the end except I Belong To You. And The 2nd Law had Isolated System and arguably Animals. Drones will probably be the same but I would like to see a little more of that. Especially in the case of Psycho, I agree with the message being said, so it's a little more disappointing to see it delivered in the way it was.

I can appreciate their less serious songs. I thought The 2nd Law was fun for that reason, and I still listen to Survival when I need something just completely silly. I even have a laugh at NSC occasionally (although not in a long time).

This is something separate from the Monty Python arguments and issues with the song structure in general. But even reading the above paragraph it's usually very tame reactions. I'll hear Muse do a silly song and I'll think "Hey that's a fun song, nice job Muse". But I'll mostly never have the reaction of a song that just blows me away. Think Ruled By Secrecy or Take A Bow or even MK Ultra that take on these more darker political themes without what I would consider an element of hilarity.

It's not even that I believe that can take this seriously. I know they can because they have done so several times before. People say Matt's not a good lyricist yet when people offer "counter-examples" the list goes on for pages.

Now they've never done this 100%. The Resistance had its more serious tracks towards the end except I Belong To You. And The 2nd Law had Isolated System and arguably Animals. Drones will probably be the same but I would like to see a little more of that. Especially in the case of Psycho, I agree with the message being said, so it's a little more disappointing to see it delivered in the way it was.

Basically what I've been trying to argue, but put much more eloquently. Nicely done.

If they want to be a silly band, they are welcome to it.

I probably wouldn't enjoy it, but I'm sure many others would.

I just can't come to grips with this "is this SUPPOSED to be silly...?" stuff.

The subject matter of Psycho doesn't lend itself well to a silly, non-serious song, and it feels like a joke that isn't funny, or that I just plain don't get.

It makes me worry Matt just might not know what the hell he's trying to do anymore.

*edit, and Kueller hit it on the head: this is a topic that, for once (for Muse,) might actually have some merit to it; might be (probably is) correct... and seeing it treated as a joke made me feel awkward. At best.

Edited by SerpentSatellite

Yeah I agree with everything you've said and I love the examples for serious songs that blow you away. That is what I want from Muse. I don't care whether its heavy or its soft I just want them to use the themes they do in a serious way that sounds like there is effort, not something that you can throw into the Muse song generator algorithm and end up with in 5 minutes. Hoodoo would be another example for me of the quality I want and they are clearly capable of. And they haven't lost it either, Animals from last album is up there.

I'm sure come Sunday evening you will all enjoy the new tracks, and possibly have a new take on Psycho.

I forgot about that.. Damn we're getting new muse tomorrow. I was thinking no way Pyscho could hold me over for two weeks lol. On the contrary Survival held me quite nicely til we heard the rest of T2L. I love Survival.

Hard to believe that we'll be getting another song in just under two weeks. I still like Psycho. I agree with many that it's overly repetitive, but it still gives me a whole lot more hope than Survival and Unsustainable did. I'm really curious to hear how Dead Inside ends up sounding — being both the lead single and the album opener it has a lot riding on it!