It's a Muse lead single and the last 2 albums singles have seemed to have targeted the American audience. Case in point we never got Supremacy here on the radio while Europe did. This isn't a good thing. You live in America with me you know what I'm talking about lol. Have you ever had something like Micro Cuts or Megalomania come on your shuffle when you had a buddy around? People here can't handle that shit so Muse give us the generic crap.

Well we both know that radio culture here sucks. It just sucks in general IMO unless it's like indie college radio type local shows. Anyways, I feel like whatever "Dead Inside" sounds like might target an audience similar to early Linkin Park, and that the new single might sound like one of those old lead singles from like Hybrid Theory or Meteora.

Well we both know that radio culture here sucks. It just sucks in general IMO unless it's like indie college radio type local shows. Anyways, I feel like whatever "Dead Inside" sounds like might target an audience similar to early Linkin Park, and that the new single might sound like one of those old lead singles from like Hybrid Theory or Meteora.

Thats a pretty random guess but I love both of those LP albums. It's funny because I was talking with a friend yesterday how great LP used to be with those two albums.

I wonder if the USMC will adopt Psycho as their unofficial theme song.

I kid you not I was driving through a parking lot today with Psycho playing in my car with the window down and there was a blacked out suv like 15 feet from me with like 6 or 7 fully fatigue dressed marines getting out of it. Right during the make you a fucking psycho bit lol.

Thats a pretty random guess but I love both of those LP albums. It's funny because I was talking with a friend yesterday how great LP used to be with those two albums.

It'd be some shit though if this new Muse record pulls in all the fans disappointed with LP and The Hunting Party lol

I kid you not I was driving through a parking lot today with Psycho playing in my car with the window down and there was a blacked out suv like 15 feet from me with like 6 or 7 fully fatigue dressed marines getting out of it. Right during the make you a fucking psycho bit lol.

They're coming for you

They're gonna make you

They're gonna break you

They're gonna make you

A fucking psycho

Muse have plenty of ott songs that I don't find silly though. Hell almost anything Muse did even pre BH&R has a very dramatic and had a real sense of urgency brought through by its tone no matter the theme of the song. Butterflies and Hurricanes, for example.

Yeah, it's just so incredibly hard for me to explain what crossed the line between then and now.

I mean, listening to Survival, USoE, etc it feels so obvious to me, but I can't put it into words.

And honestly, I wasn't much bothered about it before now. There were always songs I just couldn't deal with, but largely the albums appealed to me.

Maybe it just really is the tone of the subject matter vs the tone of the song that I can't deal with here.

I mean, Matt's finally writing about something real, and impactful. This isn't the crazy alien conspiracy theories he's known for... it's something that, like Animals, reflects real problems facing our countries and our futures.

And it's dealt with like... well, a Monty Python skit.

Maybe I just can't get past that and enjoy the fun.

Yeah, it's just so incredibly hard for me to explain what crossed the line between then and now.

I mean, listening to Survival, USoE, etc it feels so obvious to me, but I can't put it into words.

And honestly, I wasn't much bothered about it before now. There were always songs I just couldn't deal with, but largely the albums appealed to me.

Maybe it just really is the tone of the subject matter vs the tone of the song that I can't deal with here.

I mean, Matt's finally writing about something real, and impactful. This isn't the crazy alien conspiracy theories he's known for... it's something that, like Animals, reflects real problems facing our countries and our futures.

Did you read my post from earlier? I think Psycho helped me pinpoint it for me at least, maybe its different for others. But to me its a combination of Matt's overly enunciated, drawn out vocal delivery from TR on and the less subtle more literal/in your face lyrics. It started with Uprising. And notice that is when people started calling Muse cheesy and jokey. We got a tiny taste of it with KOC but nothing like Uprising and what came from that album onward.

Don't think it has anything to do with the theme or the subject of the material. Its a lot more concrete than that otherwise it wouldn't be so instantly noticeable to you.

Edited by Citizen_Eraser

Did you read my post from earlier? I think Psycho helped me pinpoint it for me at least, maybe its different for others. But to me its a combination of Matt's overly enunciated, drawn out vocal delivery from TR on and the less subtle more literal/in your face lyrics.

Don't think it has anything to do with the theme or the subject of the material. Its a lot more concrete than that otherwise it wouldn't be so instantly noticeable to you.

I agree, his delivery is much more prominent and less a part of the music like it used to be. This, more than the lyrics, is the main reason is sounds so cheesy to me. I think the lyrics wouldn't really be seen as so cheesy had Matt's voice stayed distorted for the whole song.

Did you read my post from earlier? I think Psycho helped me pinpoint it for me at least, maybe its different for others. But to me its a combination of Matt's overly enunciated, drawn out vocal delivery and the less subtle more literal/in your face lyrics.

I did read it. Definitely got me thinking. But I'm not sure it's the same for me.

Oddly, since the end results seem the same.

I actually really like Matt's vocal delivery in Survival, for instance. If the choir were removed and the lyrics weren't QUITE so bad, I might have really liked the song. It might have been a really fine line there, for me.

There are certainly instances where his delivery puts me off, though, such as the overdramatic "ocean" lines in US, or most of USoE.

I agree, his delivery is much more prominent and less a part of the music like it used to be. This, more than the lyrics, is the main reason is sounds so cheesy to me. I think the lyrics wouldn't really be seen as so cheesy had Matt's voice stayed distorted for the whole song.

Yes also the way it is mixed it is very prominent. Matt's vocals used to sit there alongside the music. Now it kind of dominates it in the mix. Good point.

I tried to sort of explain your second point earlier but not well enough. But yes the lyrics wouldn't be so cheesy if they were delivered like old Muse songs. You can figure this out by reading through old abso and oos lyrics in text form and alot of them sound just as bad. Really I think the verses from psycho are better than alot of the older lyrics, they don't bother me at all. Not even super drone bothers me. Its slightly the lyrics but more the way they're delivered.

We all know Matt/Muse like to write 'fun' songs now so how long you guys think it'll be before they turn into something like Spinal Tap...

This has always reminded me of Matt for some reason :LOL:

lol I already thought they hit that level during the TR tour

I did read it. Definitely got me thinking. But I'm not sure it's the same for me.

Oddly, since the end results seem the same.

I actually really like Matt's vocal delivery in Survival, for instance. If the choir were removed and the lyrics weren't QUITE so bad, I might have really liked the song. It might have been a really fine line there, for me.

There are certainly instances where his delivery puts me off, though, such as the overdramatic "ocean" lines in US, or most of USoE.

I like it to, actually in all of those songs and yes even in Psycho. I like his new voice and the delivery doesn't bother me to the point of actually hating the songs as some do. I enjoy them, but they're no where near old Muse quality.

But I think its the main reason why Muse will never sound like old Muse. Hell if a riff from 1999 doesn't sound like old Muse clearly its due to the vocals/lyrics lol. It doesn't get much simpler than that.

The lyrics to Psycho, "bad" as they might seem, could very easily have been part of a more serious, dark song. Easily.

In fact, that's really what I was expecting after all of Matt's Tweets and interviews.

Asses and all.

There is something to, say, Space Dementia 2011 that does sometimes make me wonder if they think these songs don't sound as silly/overdramatic/non-serious as they actually come across. (Not that I didn't adore his voice in that one. I did.)

But I really hope that isn't it.

Anyways, I've been awake for like 20 hours, and I'm probably not making sense anymore. :LOL:

*edit: I never wanted "old Muse" really, much as I'm an Absofan. I just think I want them to deal with serious topics, or even just a few songs, with a little more gravitas.

Survival and USoE are more prog rock than anything. It's infantile relative to other prog rock bands but it's prog rock. Also I really don't find fault in the tone of the song. The "a fucking psycho" line sounds like he's having fun because he's speaking from the viewpoint of a sergeant, who delights in turning his battalion into killing machines. The only difference between this and Animals is that this is more rock, and Animals is more alternative (Radiohead). He basically whispers his vocals throughout the entirety of Animals. It's not a bad thing, but he's crooning about crooked corporate scum but it sounds like he's not upset about it at all. The tone on this track is perfect for the subject matter IMO plus it fits the narrative perfectly from the POV he takes on.

The lyrics to Psycho, "bad" as they might seem, could very easily have been part of a more serious, dark song. Easily.

In fact, that's really what I was expecting after all of Matt's Tweets and interviews.

Asses and all.

There is something to, say, Space Dementia 2011 that does sometimes make me wonder if they think these songs don't sound as silly/overdramatic/non-serious as they actually come across. (Not that I didn't adore his voice in that one. I did.)

But I really hope that isn't it.

Anyways, I've been awake for like 20 hours, and I'm probably not making sense anymore. :LOL:

*edit: I never wanted "old Muse" really, much as I'm an Absofan. I just think I want them to deal with serious topics, or even just a few songs, with a little more gravitas.

Exactly my point from earlier. Take the same lyrics, same instrumental and everything. Layer some vocal distortion and sing it like its Dead Star or Yes Please or something. Boom old Muse is back and its dark and serious. But no he sings it like some mix between Uprising and Madness and we struggle to wonder why it still sounds like TR/T2L

Edited by Citizen_Eraser

Survival and USoE are more prog rock than anything. It's infantile relative to other prog rock bands but it's prog rock. Also I really don't find fault in the tone of the song. The "a fucking psycho" line sounds like he's having fun because he's speaking from the viewpoint of a sergeant, who delights in turning his battalion into killing machines. The only difference between this and Animals is that this is more rock, and Animals is more alternative (Radiohead). He basically whispers his vocals throughout the entirety of Animals. It's not a bad thing, but he's crooning about crooked corporate scum but it sounds like he's not upset about it at all. The tone on this track is perfect for the subject matter IMO plus it fits the narrative perfectly from the POV he takes on.

This example gives even more weight to the point I am sticking to. Animals sings a very direct, very not-subtle set of lyrics (like Psycho) that have a serious political tone/message (like Psycho) yet no one thinks its cheesy?

What is the difference between those two songs vocally? The way the lyrics are delivered.

Speaking of wanting old Muse back I agree with this. I don't care if they take a new direction. Every time Radiohead went in a new direction I loved them even more because the quality level stayed consistent and even improved some aside from KOL. In Rainbows is their best album to me and Hail to the Thief is right behind it imo.

Meanwhile Muse goes in a new direction and that direction is jokey non-serious music no matter which of the many genres they've tackled. This is what annoys me.

Edited by Citizen_Eraser

I feel like Psycho has been made so silly to emphasise how ridiculous and inhumane the military and war is. Destroying lives needlessly on both sides, to further a particular corporate or political narrative. Comedians do it, so why can't musicians?

I feel like Psycho has been made so silly to emphasise how ridiculous and inhumane the military and war is. Destroying lives needlessly on both sides, to further a particular corporate or political narrative. Comedians do it, so why can't musicians?

I would agree with you if Muse hadn't been doing this for what looks to be 3 albums straight. They don't do this kind of thing to make a deeper point. They do it because its what they do.

This example gives even more weight to the point I am sticking to. Animals sings a very direct, very not-subtle set of lyrics (like Psycho) that have a serious political tone/message (like Psycho) yet no one thinks its cheesy?

What is the difference between those two songs vocally? The way the lyrics are delivered.

You missed my point. Matt doesn't sound convincing at all in Animals that he's condemning anyone or anything. You could literally have it on as background music and not know what he's saying. Psycho has impact as a political message that Animals lacks. Also, the end bit of Animals can be potentially described as "cheesy" as well as a sonic mistake because it muffles the entire outro riff.

You missed my point. Matt doesn't sound convincing at all in Animals that he's condemning anyone or anything. You could literally have it on as background music and not know what he's saying. Psycho has impact as a political message that Animals lacks. Also, the end bit of Animals can be potentially described as "cheesy" as well as a sonic mistake because it muffles the entire outro riff.

No I got your point but your example made me think of how similar these songs are yet their tone is so different. Because of the vocal delivery lol. I'm convinced that's it for me. Like I said though different people have different reasons for liking/not liking the new Muse.

But to your point I still don't think Psycho has impact in that political message because the silly-ness leads Muse to go, "oh don't take it too seriously, its all in fun"

Just wait til journalists start interviewing them and asking "Did you really generalize the entire military as a bunch of psychos" I guarantee he'll laugh and say something along the lines of my quote above.