They've said it in a bunch of interviews in the past few years. But that wasn't really my point anyway...

also lol "objectively good"

Glad you caught that haha I was using it sarcastically. I wanted to talk about people that use that too as a buzzword online. Common on /MU/, not so much here but I've seen some people say "objectively bad" here and it's stupid. It doesn't make anyone more correct. I said it in my post as a joke, but the fact is Muse are trying a different approach and that's good, and I personally think Psycho is good as do you, Tjet.

i played the bass for 5 years and the drums for 1 year and you wanna know how i learned the drums ? without any drums. You don't have to be patient to learn the drum, you just have to imagine a drum in front of your computer while listening to a music. That's why i can play this : (that's me on the drums) https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=649079825220776&permPage=1

Hm, can't open this.. Well, learning the drums might be easier than learnign guitar or paino...you need a feel for rhytm! but hey, i don't really know it!

It's more a matter of what they could do if they really committed to those themes and didn't use that "hey, we're just messing!" thing as a crutch.

Thats what really frustrates me. I remember having this exact same conversation with my dad after 2nd Law came out

Edited by CatchHellBlues

Glad you caught that haha I was using it sarcastically. I wanted to talk about people that use that too as a buzzword online. Common on /MU/, not so much here but I've seen some people say "objectively bad" here and it's stupid. It doesn't make anyone more correct. I said it in my post as a joke, but the fact is Muse are trying a different approach and that's good, and I personally think Psycho is good as do you, Tjet.
I do like it, but that doesn't mean I can't accept that others disagree.

Hm, can't open this.. Well, learning the drums might be easier than learnign guitar or paino...you need a feel for rhytm! but hey, i don't really know it!

so here is another recording of one of my projects where i play the drums

lol just stop.

I do like it, but that doesn't mean I can't accept that others disagree.

I accept difference of opinion, the only two things I bother to call out anymore is anything pertaining to "cheese" and "old Muse vs self-parody Muse". It's as tiring as seeing the stupid Radiohead meme still alive and well.

so here is another recording of one of my projects where i play the drums

whenever I talk about music and drums, I keep finding myself watching to this.

what an amazing guy. I still cant believe how underrated he is and how people can admire Ringo or Bonham but not this mastermind. Amazing rock, jazz, even african drum playing.

edit:

lol I wrote all that stuff and forgot to write about you... You definetly have the beat and tone keep it up ^^

I can think of plenty of bands who could muster a similar level of anger (Sepultura at their peak and Gallows on Grey Britain spring to mind, plus Tool when they decided to really vent). That's not what Muse were about though- it's more the issue that RatM totally committed to what they were doing regardless of how silly it could (and did) sound in other hands.

whenever I talk about music and drums, I keep finding myself watching to this.

what an amazing guy. I still cant believe how underrated he is and how people can admire Ringo or Bonham but not this mastermind. Amazing rock, jazz, even african drum playing.

edit:

lol I wrote all that stuff and forgot to write about you... You definetly have the beat and tone keep it up ^^

Thank you dude ! :D

i agree with you, Ringo is far from a good drummer ! My favourite drummer ever is Tim Alexander and Brain Mantia (both were from Primus) :D

I can think of plenty of bands who could muster a similar level of anger. That's not what Muse were about though- it's more the issue that RatM totally committed to what they were doing regardless of how silly it could (and did) sound in other hands.

It's not the anger that sets Rage apart from the rest though is it. Sure their music was really aggressive and but they were just a one off I think, their sound to me is unique.

I accept difference of opinion

Well then show you do, instead of defending the song against every criticism ever.

the only two things I bother to call out anymore is anything pertaining to "cheese" and "old Muse vs self-parody Muse". It's as tiring as seeing the stupid Radiohead meme still alive and well.

But it wasn't the usual "old muse are better" argument.

And call it out as much as you want, but "cheesy" is a totally fair criticism.

Personally I think the song will make much more sense in a concept album context; assuming dead inside means what it says, psycho is basically the assertion of authority on some helpless 'drone'. Taking the perspective of the 'drill seargent', the lyrics don't sound too bad. Even the 'your ass belongs to me now' makes more sense, but I agree the delivery of the vocals could have been better, not that they're technically bad, but it would have made more sense for Matt to use an angry/distorted voice instead of operatic.

Tbh I think the vocals are a good mix of his new style and something a bit less operatic. Sure some distorted, harsh vocals in the psycho bit would have been cooler, but I don't mind what we got. I'm sure he'll go a bit more crazy live.

I don't think Muse are capable of RATM style stuff anyway TBH. They don't have the anger or the edge that Rage did.

No one else can do what Rage did as far as I'm concerned...

I was thinking the other day actually, what if Zack de la Rocha did a Nic Cester-esque appearance with Muse at Download and if it would sound ridiculous or not