i wouldn't say it's terrible, it's just out of sync and could do with better guitar tonez. props to anyone that tries one man band covers.

really bad guitar playing. He is ok with drums but seriously bad guitar playing, especially picking. His picking is not consistent at all. Rather than trying to play like Matt (huge down strokes for extended notes) he should try some simple picking exercises :s

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this but hearing this song makes me realize precisely why we'll never have "old" Muse back. It has to do with the vocals.

Matt is way too in love with his new voice (which sounds unbelievably good) on the past 3 albums (counting this one). The way he delivers lines was always dramatic but now its reaching higher levels of overblown-ness (that is not a word yes). He drags out one syllable words for way too long and over-enunciates everything to flex his vocal prowess. And yes it sounds amazing. I'm not complaining at all his voice is seriously good and I quite enjoy it. But if you took this songs same instrumental, and same lyrics, and Matt sung them like it was SS or Dead Star or something while also removing the drill instructor bits this would be quintessential old Muse. And I don't think at that point people would be calling it cheesy or jokey, apart from the "ass belongs to me now" part. People say the lyrics are cheesy, even old Muse had bad lyrics but no one considered it cheese until the last few albums because of the way Matt delivers those lines.

At the very oldest this song as it sits sounds like something on Black Holes.

Solid. Everything you said is correct.

But for example the dragging out of one-syllabe words has been there since at least Abso (SS, B&H, TaB).

And no, I don't remember anything as cheesy as "I'll turn you into a super drone" in the old albums.

I'm tired of Matt's vague vocals against "the man" and using the adverb "you" for everything without knowing who's speaking. This changed on Psycho. Being direct is a good change for Muse, and it isn't cheesy. Typing the word "super" with Comic Sans doesn't mean anything either. "Super drone" is about as cheesy as "H8 is the one for me". Literally nothing cheesy about it. Sick of the words cheesy, literal, and direct. They mean nothing anymore

really bad guitar playing. He is ok with drums but seriously bad guitar playing, especially picking. His picking is not consistent at all. Rather than trying to play like Matt (huge down strokes for extended notes) he should try some simple picking exercises :s

His drumming was not okay at all, more out of time than the guitar

His drumming was not okay at all, more out of time than the guitar

first he surely doesn't know how to install an electronic drum (right-handed and playing the toms on the left uh ?)

And i don't think he can play with a 12/8 signature

(sorry for my english, from a french fag)

I'm tired of Matt's vague vocals against "the man" and using the adverb "you" for everything without knowing who's speaking. This changed on Psycho. Being direct is a good change for Muse, and it isn't cheesy. Typing the word "super" with Comic Sans doesn't mean anything either. "Super drone" is about as cheesy as "H8 is the one for me". Literally nothing cheesy about it. Sick of the words cheesy, literal, and direct. They mean nothing anymore

I like that it isn't cheesy because you say so.

"Literal" and "direct" mean nothing? Why? :LOL:

:LOL: i could 't hear more than 15 sec maybe? That was too much...

felt bad for him made a comment on his video. I like the effort tho. it must have taken decent time. I'm not a huge guitar player (only playing for couple years now) and I actually like people commenting on my shitty habits while playing. He can get better at picking very easily. Using a metronome also can be huge improvement :D

first he surely doesn't know how to install an electronic drum (right-handed and playing the toms on the left uh ?)

And i don't think he can play with a 12/8 signature

(sorry for my english, from a french fag)

Yeah he can't seem to keep the cymbal in time on the 2nd snare hit in the riff. I feel bad for the guy, at least he tried :LOL:

Tbh I can't make up my mind. I'm convinced that it's a concept album, and that it's definitely serious in that context, but then if the whole thing is like Matt's fascination with conspiracy theories in general (ie he kinda laughs at it and likes to try and see things from the perspective of those who actually believe it)...I dunno.

If he's seriously trying to send out a message, it's really tacky.

Also, the whole "it's not serious" is basically just the music version of this:

mBN4gzG.png

I don't think they've really claimed their recent stuff is not serious. Dom just meant not to swear by it that it is 100% RATM level seriousness. My point with this post though is to point out that the image you posted is more pertinent to the pre-2009 shitposters that use anything Muse put out irregardless of how objectively good it may be to harken back to the "old days" without "cheese" and with "better lyrics" from an amateur lyricist, and make obvious how disappointed they are that it isn't 2001.

felt bad for him made a comment on his video. I like the effort tho. it must have taken decent time. I'm not a huge guitar player (only playing for couple years now) and I actually like people commenting on my shitty habits while playing. He can get better at picking very easily. Using a metronome also can be huge improvement :D

I don't play an instrument, but I can hear it very well when something is too slow, or not in the flow, when a wrong note is played -which wasn't the case here, the last I mentioned. I'd say I have absolute hearing. Wish I could play the piano, or e guitar, but to learn it i am too impacient :(

I don't think they've really claimed their recent stuff is not serious. Dom just meant not to swear by it that it is 100% RATM level seriousness. My point with this post though is to point out that the image you posted is more pertinent to the pre-2009 shitposters that use anything Muse put out irregardless of how objectively good it may be to harken back to the "old days" without "cheese" and with "better lyrics" from an amateur lyricist, and make obvious how disappointed they are that it isn't 2001.

They've said it in a bunch of interviews in the past few years. But that wasn't really my point anyway...

also lol "objectively good"

I don't play an instrument, but I can hear it very well when something is too slow, or not in the flow, when a wrong note is played -which wasn't the case here, the last I mentioned. I'd say I have absolute hearing. Wish I could play the piano, or e guitar, but to learn it i am too impacient :(

i played the bass for 5 years and the drums for 1 year and you wanna know how i learned the drums ? without any drums. You don't have to be patient to learn the drum, you just have to imagine a drum in front of your computer while listening to a music. That's why i can play this : (that's me on the drums) https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=649079825220776&permPage=1

I like that it isn't cheesy because you say so.

"Literal" and "direct" mean nothing? Why? :LOL:

They're just buzzwords that point out the obvious. It's not even a real criticism. "I can't think creatively about what it means!" Probably because the song is making a blunt point, irregardless if it's not a RATM-level condemnation it's probably as critical as Muse has ever gotten, and I give Matt props for at least attempting something new than rehashing TR's lyrical vagueness.

It's more a matter of what they could do if they really committed to those themes and didn't use that "hey, we're just messing!" thing as a crutch.

I started playing when a friend gifted me his $1500 guitar when I was depressed (major). I didnt have anything to do but play for 6-8 hours a day for 1 full year. Now its an addiction. I would consider myself capricious but welp i nailed it with the guitar! Now I'm planning to save to buy a keyboard so I can study theory in-depth! And building my home-made bo diddley lap steel guitar :D

Instruments are one hell of a journey and it doesnt matter how old you are or how impacient, if you love music, you can always pick it up and play a few notes and have fun, relax. It saved my life at the end of the day ^^