I'm really excited to hopefully hear a decent recording of how it sounds live - i reckon it'd be quite fun

We got several good recordings from the cologne gigs of every song. The thing here is Muse is packing live footage into the release...so warner will be blocking like a mother fucker. If we got boardies going to gigs and filming we need them up'ing them to pirate bay or something.

Hard to believe that we'll be getting another song in just under two weeks. I still like Psycho. I agree with many that it's overly repetitive, but it still gives me a whole lot more hope than Survival and Unsustainable did. I'm really curious to hear how Dead Inside ends up sounding — being both the lead single and the album opener it has a lot riding on it!

People have their hopes on Dead Inside...but Muse chose it as the lead single. That hasn't been a good thing in the 3 previous albums. It'll have to be something very radio friendly for mass appeal and sales and considering this album is mainly rock, so unlikely to be anything like Madness...in my experience, rock+radio friendly, mass appeal= generic. So we'll see. I would like to be surprised.

Yeah I'll be listening to the single with zero expectations. Actually no I guess really the only expectation I have for it are lyrics better than that of Psycho's. If this is indeed a concept album they really wanna start the theme off strong, whatever that may be in the first track.

And I get the point of Psycho's lyrics, it's supposed to be in character and everything. I don't think Matt executed that point as best as he could as many have said, but hopefully it'll sound less absurd in the context of the album.

Hard to believe that we'll be getting another song in just under two weeks. I still like Psycho. I agree with many that it's overly repetitive, but it still gives me a whole lot more hope than Survival and Unsustainable did. I'm really curious to hear how Dead Inside ends up sounding — being both the lead single and the album opener it has a lot riding on it!

I agree. Psycho overstays it's welcome by about a minute and a half I think, but yeah. Survival had an epic bombast they wouldn't have been able to (or wanted to) carry throughout all of T2L. Solid track, but it made me wonder about the album. This is solid to me because at least it sets in stone the idea that this really is a concept album, and I don't mind any of what others might call "cringey" because a proper Muse concept album is always welcome to me as long as it doesn't sound half-assed like TR.

People have their hopes on Dead Inside...but Muse chose it as the lead single. That hasn't been a good thing in the 3 previous albums. It'll have to be something very radio friendly for mass appeal and sales and considering this album is mainly rock, so unlikely to be anything like Madness...in my experience, rock+radio friendly, mass appeal= generic. So we'll see. I would like to be surprised.

I wouldnt mind at all if it was anything like SMBH. That was a great radio friendly track that created buzz - although many here hated it. :$

I so much don't want to listen to the new songs before the album release... I think I lessened my enjoyment of T2L because I did last time around.

Maybe I'll just take a board vacation until June, and come back to discuss the new songs after everyone else has gone away again. :LOL:

good luck with that

I so much don't want to listen to the new songs before the album release... I think I lessened my enjoyment of T2L because I did last time around.

Maybe I'll just take a board vacation until June, and come back to discuss the new songs after everyone else has gone away again. :LOL:

Nooooo! I enjoy reading your posts around here.

I think lead single, although it may have varied by country. I know it was the first thing released but in America KOC was the lead single. SMBH I'm pretty sure was lead single over in Europe but I'm not positive.

Yeah, KOC was perfect. I'm nervous about Dead Inside.

I'm having flashbacks to what a crushing disappointment the first "follow" after the drop in Follow Me was, after hearing e-werk first, even a crappy recording. :(

Matt's delivery of that part was so much more amazing live.

On the plus side, if Warner insta-blocks the uploads, by the time the forum pages load on Muselive, the album will probably be out. :chuckle:

Poor Muselive, though. :(

Nooooo! I enjoy reading your posts around here.

Yeah, KOC was perfect. I'm nervous about Dead Inside.

KOC had to grow on me. I remember the first time I heard it, was the first we'd all heard of jokey Muse. But I didn't really like it immediately coming from Absolution.

And SMBH had me like :facepalm:

KOC had to grow on me. I remember the first time I heard it, was the first we'd all heard of jokey Muse. But I didn't really like it immediately coming from Absolution.

:LOL: Yessss... I remember SMBH was so odd when I first heard it. It took me a while to warm up to it.

I really don't understand the correlation between KOC and jokey. I mean the video definitely is but is it because it sounded (vaguely) like a spaghetti western soundtrack song? It just sounds like Ennio Morricone-influenced rock through and through to me, as it did when I first heard it.

I still haven't really warmed up to SMBH. I remember being somewhat angry when I heard it.

But, like I said, it's a FUN song. SMBH, KoC managed to be silly and fun in a way I didn't find offputting. KoC even comes off as pretty epic. I still wouldn't have wanted too much more of the album to be like that.

I wouldn't call KoC so much "jokey" but it is a bit silly. Over the top, not exactly a serious song.

Survival and Psycho give me that "oh lord... I hope no one hears me listening to this..." feeling. :chuckle:

I really don't understand the correlation between KOC and jokey. I mean the video definitely is but is it because it sounded (vaguely) like a spaghetti western soundtrack song? It just sounds like Ennio Morricone-influenced rock through and through to me, as it did when I first heard it.

I mean it definitely sounded spaghetti western even before the video. That song put western imagery and horse gallop (for obvious reason) into my head before the video was even a thing fwiw. And hearing Muse making a spaghetti western type thing after something like Ruled by Secrecy and while shouting lyrics like 'NO ONES GOING TO TAKE ME ALIVE YOU AND I MUST FIGHT TO SURVIVE!!!!!' didn't really seem serious. And just the entire intro with all the falsetto backed by guitar, almost using his voice as an instrument. Which is something he'd done in the past but not to the extent that KOC had. It was just very different.

I still haven't really warmed up to SMBH. I remember being somewhat angry when I heard it.

But, like I said, it's a FUN song. SMBH, KoC managed to be silly and fun in a way I didn't find offputting. KoC even comes off as pretty epic. I still wouldn't have wanted too much more of the album to be like that.

I wouldn't call KoC so much "jokey" but it is a bit silly. Over the top, not exactly a serious song.

Survival and Psycho give me that "oh lord... I hope no one hears me listening to this..." feeling. :chuckle:

Muse have plenty of ott songs that I don't find silly though. Hell almost anything Muse did even pre BH&R has a very dramatic and had a real sense of urgency brought through by its tone no matter the theme of the song. Butterflies and Hurricanes, for example.

Don't forget the trumpets, those add a bit to the operatic/fun vibe

I wouldn't say operatic, if anything it's just wearing the Spanish influence + Ennio Morricone influence on the song's metaphorical sleeves. I think "fun" as you said is how I'd describe the track, but it definitely rocks hard. "Silly" as some others have put it makes me think of something like IBTY.

EDIT: I hope the lead single isn't simple. We've had two lead singles so far that were really simple. I'd like some actual sonic progression. I don't think "Psycho" needed much because it rocked hard and that was the point of the track, whereas Uprising and Madness both emphasized the basslines and that was it. Both rather skeletal.

I wouldn't say operatic, if anything it's just wearing the Spanish influence + Ennio Morricone influence on the song's metaphorical sleeves. I think "fun" as you said is how I'd describe the track, but it definitely rocks hard. "Silly" as some others have put it makes me think of something like IBTY.

EDIT: I hope the lead single isn't simple. We've had two lead singles so far that were really simple. I'd like some actual sonic progression. I don't think "Psycho" needed much because it rocked hard and that was the point of the track, whereas Uprising and Madness both emphasized the basslines and that was it. Both rather skeletal.

It's a Muse lead single and the last 2 albums singles have seemed to have targeted the American audience. Case in point we never got Supremacy here on the radio while Europe did. This isn't a good thing. You live in America with me you know what I'm talking about lol. Have you ever had something like Micro Cuts, Megalomania, or even Bliss which actually was a single before Muse made it here, come on your shuffle when you had a buddy around? People here can't handle that shit so Muse give us the generic crap.

You'll never see the Animals or MK Ultra's of a new Muse album make it as a single. So idk why people are expecting something great with Dead Inside.

Edited by Citizen_Eraser