Psycho wouldn't work if it was sung the way Animals was. The overall mood of each track is completely different. You can't just play big riffs over a track and deliver vocals all soft-like and expect it to mesh well. Psycho has a big, fat, in-your-face riff which demands the same kind of vocal delivery.

Edited by jonisdead

Psycho wouldn't work if it was sung the way Animals was. The overall mood of each track is completely different. You can't just play big riffs over a track and deliver vocals all soft-like and expect it to mesh well. Psycho has a big, fat, in-your-face riff which demands the same kind of vocal delivery.

It would work if it was sung like dead star or yes please though lol. But yeah Animals is too quiet and subdued to work that vocal style into Psycho.

I dont agree. I think of something like Maggies Farm which has an even bigger riff and Zack for most of it just speaks the lyrics.

Matt sings Animals with far more conviction in his voice than in Psycho.

But to your point I still don't think Psycho has impact in that political message because the silly-ness leads Muse to go, "oh don't take it too seriously, its all in fun"

Just wait til journalists start interviewing them and asking "Did you really generalize the entire military as a bunch of psychos" I guarantee he'll laugh and say something along the lines of my quote above.

I highly doubt he will, because this is the first time he's been so specific about something like this since Animals. Animals said "kill yourselves, do us all a favor" but it created no buzz because it wasn't publicized. This track however will, and they chose it for that very reason. He obviously wants it to be heard. Considering the entire tone of how this record will likely be, it'll be polarizing and I highly doubt he'll dismiss it all as "all in fun" if the entire concept of the album is so starkly obvious.

I highly doubt he will, because this is the first time he's been so specific about something like this since Animals. Animals said "kill yourselves, do us all a favor" but it created no buzz because it wasn't publicized. This track however will, and they chose it for that very reason. He obviously wants it to be heard. Considering the entire tone of how this record will likely be, it'll be polarizing and I highly doubt he'll dismiss it all as "all in fun" if the entire concept of the album is so starkly obvious.

Good point. I hope you're right. Would be good to see Muse stick to something. And the fact that the entire album centers around this concept you may be correct.

Good point. I hope you're right. Would be good to see Muse stick to something. And the fact that the entire album centers around this concept you may be correct.

I have no doubt in my mind that it'll be more cohesive than the last 3 records, however I'm interested to see how it's executed and whether it will be well received as a whole. I'm very excited, I feel like they know this album will make or break their career. It'll cement them either as a band that still puts out interesting music, or as a the next U2.

But to your point I still don't think Psycho has impact in that political message because the silly-ness leads Muse to go, "oh don't take it too seriously, its all in fun"

Just wait til journalists start interviewing them and asking "Did you really generalize the entire military as a bunch of psychos" I guarantee he'll laugh and say something along the lines of my quote above.

Horrifyingly, I think "journalists" are more likely to keep trying to tie even the obviousness of Psycho to Matt's personal life. (Because I've seen it, and it made me a bit queasy.)

Because that's the sort of embarrassing tripe the public wants to read.

There's something truly depressing about that, in light of an album that's supposedly about humanity being nothing but a brainwashed bunch of non-people... instead of focusing on what could potentially be a controversial topic ("military is bad" being quite a hotbutton in the US at least) lets all look at pictures of people buying toilet paper, and make up painful speculation about their personal lives!

But yes, I agree. Despite the obviousness of the lyrics, I still have no idea what the point was, or if it was meant to be taken seriously. Or why a song that sounds like it might actually be in jest would be a "game changer for humanity."

But yes, I agree. Despite the obviousness of the lyrics, I still have no idea what the point was, or if it was meant to be taken seriously. Or why a song that sounds like it might actually be in jest would be a "game changer for humanity."

I don't understand the dichotomy between the obvious lyrics and whether it would be in jest. It's pretty apparent it's not, as I've said before the narrative aspects of the song and overall mood highlight the fact the "sergeant" is delighting in turning his pupils into killing machines. The "point" is that it's a blatant criticism of the military and its questionable methodology. Considering what Matt tweeted about a "psycho handler" and also from the Instagram clip of that "drones!" shout, the rest of the record will likely have a similar approach.

Horrifyingly, I think "journalists" are more likely to keep trying to tie even the obviousness of Psycho to Matt's personal life. (Because I've seen it, and it made me a bit queasy.)

There's something truly depressing about that, in light of an album that's supposedly about humanity being nothing but a brainwashed bunch of non-people... instead of focusing on what could potentially be a controversial topic ("military is bad" being quite a hotbutton in the US at least) lets all look at pictures of people buying toilet paper, and make up painful speculation about their personal lives!

Damn. Like a fortune teller you foretold the pathetic sentence tacked on to the end of NME's review of Psycho that mentioned exactly that, his personal life (relationship). Pathetic.

Absolutely agree. And I think I saw the article your talking about which really did make me sick.