Playing Unsustainable

arj225

So I figured out the program thing by looking at the whammy 5 manual. Maybe logic starts em off at 2oct up at 0 but in the manual its 1-9.

so it really goes like this for 5

2up - 1

1up - 2

1down - 8

2down - 9

So I just converted accordingly. Gonna try it out in a sec.

Yeah Logic displays it differently

Yeah kind of weird. Before I looked at a pdf of the whammy 5 manual I had my suspicions just by looking at what sections of the drop I knew were under certain settings and then I just matched the time signature to the program change listed at that time. Pretty sure I have it correct now but gotta wait for my brother to get off work and bring me his midi/usb cable. If it tests out good I'll reupload it here for whammy 4 users. With all credit to Dom of course.

So my brother came over tonight with his midi/usb adapter thing and we couldn't figure out how to get the data to output to the pc(cubase) into the whammy. We selected the midi regions and the output has like "wavetable gm synth" or something like that. It just seems like my computer wasn't recognizing the adapter prob needed a driver.

But I'm still unsure about outputting midi data from pc to whammy. Can anyone who uses cubase give me a simple walkthrough on it? Maybe kueller? Thanks in advance.

I don't use Cubase, but there should be some I/O settings to send out the signals. I know in Studio One you need to create a new device first, load that, and then assign the midi controls to it. Or something like that.

What cable are you using?

I don't use Cubase, but there should be some I/O settings to send out the signals. I know in Studio One you need to create a new device first, load that, and then assign the midi controls to it. Or something like that.

What cable are you using?

I forget now because he left with it but I'm gonna buy one in the next couple days. I found in device setup there is IO settings that just had the generic "wavetable gs synth" listed and nothing else but that was after I had unplugged the midi/usb cable.

Once the cable is plugged in something should show up right?

Also found some vst settings that had midi output selector info in there.

Edited by Citizen_Eraser

I don't know if this helps anyone by this point, but I finally decided to learn how to play this, and seeing as I can't be bothered with all the faffing about with MIDI sequencing for the same reasons that I never learned how to play Map Of The Problematique, and also seeing that I wasn't online to try and find a decent tab or anything, I figured out myself manually in about half an hour over lunchtime, just using the -1 Oct setting on my Whammy DT. Slowed the song down to figure out a couple of the notes and that was it. Obviously it's not as accurate on the high weeooo noises and doesn't have the stuttery behind the nut pick effect or whatever as I was keeping it simple, but some playing around with Kaossilator or Kaoss Pad could probably figure out those with a bit of thought put into it. Like I say I only figured it out quickly but it sounds reasonable to me. Just thought I'd post a video in case it helped anyone else who can't be bothered with all the extra setting up or whatever. Obligatory wee-oo-wee-oo faces included. I can never stop myself. :facepalm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUVQw6vD1Mw

Edited by Bs

Got a better version now where I merged all the separate MIDI regions into one. For some reason on the 5 in the verse it's not playing it an octave down and for the life of me I can't work out why as the program change and expression are both right

The difference listening to the MIDI versions versus the manual versions is the precision and consistency in the automated versions. Especially when playing along with a backing it has to be tight.

The difference listening to the MIDI versions versus the manual versions is the precision and consistency in the automated versions. Especially when playing along with a backing it has to be tight.

I tend to decide to play things pretty spontaneously so the idea of having to load up software and connect some extra equipment and cables just for one song would be ridiculous for me. I agree on a professional level as part of a set it's a great option though.

Takes me 5 seconds to open Logic and another 5 probably to connect the cable, no hassle for me

Just changed all the program changes so that the Whammy is on chords mode and it's still going fucked up on the 5 in the verse, gotta be expression then right?

EDIT: Apart from it only does it every now and then. Confused

not much different to pressing play on the track you're playing along to really, but yeah.

i don't think i've even tried playing any of the guitar parts from T2L... Animals in the only one that interests me really.

I suppose, but I don't care enough about it to pay extra money for the equipment just so I can get two songs by one band exactly right or whatever. I've spent more than enough money on what I've got already. :facepalm:

Agree about Animals, haven't tried learning that one yet - maybe in the summer.

Only done Supremacy and now Unsustainable apart from that. Madness solo too I suppose, but then I only ever learned 4 songs on The Resistance too. Maybe 2 or 3 on Showbiz. Most of the Muse ones are all on the albums in between really.

not much different to pressing play on the track you're playing along to really, but yeah.

i don't think i've even tried playing any of the guitar parts from T2L... Animals in the only one that interests me really.

Yeah Animals and Unsustainable are the only ones I play

Has anyone got a IV and midi usb cable that wants to try out a MIDI file for the IV since I can't actually check if it's right

just don't upload a cover to yootoob before I do :ninja:

I think D3adstar would be the one to ask, especially since most of KnT has no idea what they're doing

I've spent way too much time trying to get my MIDI track perfect. So close now, but not close enough

Maybe I should go back to playing guitar like a normal person does :(

I think D3adstar would be the one to ask, especially since most of KnT has no idea what they're doing

I've spent way too much time trying to get my MIDI track perfect. So close now, but not close enough

Apart from the weird thing in the verse where it works sometimes when it wants to and doesn't the rest of the time I think mine's pretty much 99.99999999% spot on to the live version

I've been summoned :LOL:

Dom I'd definitely be up for trying it out! :awesome:

I've been summoned :LOL:

Dom I'd definitely be up for trying it out! :awesome:

You're too late :O Bucket already tried it. Although since I've sent it to him I've already tweaked it again. Reckon I've definitely got it 100% now except I can't strike behind the nut :(

You're too late :O Bucket already tried it. Although since I've sent it to him I've already tweaked it again. Reckon I've definitely got it 100% now except I can't strike behind the nut :(

And it's awesome :awesome:

Ok cool pm'ed. Also if you want you should send me a link to your whammy 4 version in case my conversion has a problem or something. That'd be awesome.

Do you want the current one or the finished one? Still got a few things I wanna tweak a little, like the nut strike bit. Made a PDF of the tab which is accurate as far as I can tell, will probably make a big post with that and the MIDI files for 4 and 5 at some point