Playing Unsustainable

arj225

Oh right, yeah I have the whammy 5, so you might need to switch around the programe change to match whatever whammy you have

7 is 1 oct down

0 is 2oct up

8 is 2oct down

22 is bypass

1 is 1 oct up

I also use an Ultimate Octave with the oct up setting on to give it that harshish toan which also affects the harmonics so you might need to change what octave that's set to as well

This is the post where you talk about program changes and I found them in your midi file using the midi list editor but its still a bit confusing. I guess I need to find out what settings my whammy calls 1oct down 2oct up 2oct down bypass and 1oct up are sound right?

Also looks like theres more programs than that. I'm seeing 23, 9 and 2 on your list in the midi region editor. So I basically just need a list of what settings correspond with what number on both a whammy 5 and a whammy 4 and convert accordingly?

This is the post where you talk about program changes and I found them in your midi file using the midi list editor but its still a bit confusing. I guess I need to find out what settings my whammy calls 1oct down 2oct up 2oct down bypass and 1oct up are sound right?

Also looks like theres more programs than that. I'm seeing 23, 9 and 2 on your list in the midi region editor. So I basically just need a list of what settings correspond with what number on both a whammy 5 and a whammy 4 and convert accordingly?

Ah, Logic and Cubase may display them differently. In that case count 23 as 22, 9 as 8 etc.

Just check the manual for the IV to see what the settings are for that and change accordingly and there you should have it

Ah, Logic and Cubase may display them differently. In that case count 23 as 22, 9 as 8 etc.

Just check the manual for the IV to see what the settings are for that and change accordingly and there you should have it

hmm well 8 and 22 are still there also lol. just also 9 and 23....should i disregard it and act like its 8 and 22?

and for bypass is that just corresponding to what program was on before it. so if 1 is active and you have a bypass change is it the number that is next to it? cuz the manual lists a diff bypass number for each setting

Edited by Citizen_Eraser

hmm well 8 and 22 are still there also lol. just also 9 and 23....should i disregard it and act like its 8 and 22?

and for bypass is that just corresponding to what program was on before it. so if 1 is active and you have a bypass change is it the number that is next to it? cuz the manual lists a diff bypass number for each setting

yeah there's a bypass for each setting. I only really use 22 I think, just cos it's the number I remembered. An bypass setting will do

If you're still struggling I'll have a go at changing it, although I won't be able to actually check it

I just fucking love playing this. So much fun. Must annoyed the shit out my flatmates while working it out past few weeks, repeatedly playing the same little bits all the time, nightmare

yeah there's a bypass for each setting. I only really use 22 I think, just cos it's the number I remembered. An bypass setting will do

If you're still struggling I'll have a go at changing it, although I won't be able to actually check it

I just fucking love playing this. So much fun. Must annoyed the shit out my flatmates while working it out past few weeks, repeatedly playing the same little bits all the time, nightmare

I agree. It's why I've been so obsessive in this thread trying to get this stuff converted over correctly lol. This might be one of the most fun guitar songs I've ever played and that was just learning the verse manually lol. Haven't even touched the drop yet but I'll have it as soon as I convert those program changes....the bad news is that list of midi data is LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNG and idk if theres a way to just show program changes and filter out all the expression data.

If its easier for you to do in logic since you know your way around it more than I do on my first day with cubase I'd be extremely greatful if you did a whammy 4 version and reuploaded.

heres the setting numbers for the 4

2up = 3

1up = 4

1down = 5

2down = 6

bypass is anything from 20-25 so you can leave it at 22.

Edited by Citizen_Eraser

Yeah, I do like this whole Whammy MIDI business. There's a few other songs I've got files for as well like MOTP, MK Ultra, Meltdown and Gandhi by Shikari. Unsustainable is definitely the most complicated, but I love the whole idea of sort of blending guitars/dubstep, and not even just like slides and stuff. It's just badass

Very interesting thread, unfortunately I don't understand everything as I'm a big noob in all that midi stuff, and even more in english...

So I have a question : how does it work ? I mean, you only need to click play on your computer (linked to the Whammy) and play the song with the right timing ?

Very interesting thread, unfortunately I don't understand everything as I'm a big noob in all that midi stuff, and even more in english...

So I have a question : how does it work ? I mean, you only need to click play on your computer (linked to the Whammy) and play the song with the right timing ?

yeah it's my favourite thread in KnT at the moment :LOL:

working this out has pretty much taught me all I know about MIDI, which to be fair still isn't much

And yeah, the way I have it, just click play in Logic, it plays the audio and sends MIDI at the same time to the whammy making it go all weeoooo

working this out has pretty much taught me all I know about MIDI, which to be fair still isn't much

And yeah, the way I have it, just click play in Logic, it plays the audio and sends MIDI at the same time to the whammy making it go all weeoooo

Yeah I had no idea how complicated it was. When I saw your file and all the overlaps and then went to the midi list editor I was just :eek: with how complex it was...you don't know how much I and others appreciate your work. Like if you get a whammy 4 version set up and I try it and it goes off without a hitch and sounds as good as yours I might send you money via paypal lol.

Edited by Citizen_Eraser

I have downloaded the midi file you made (thx by the way !). I'll try it when I have a little more time.

And the fact that you have to click play and have the exact same timing as Logic can be restricting (e.g. in a gig situation).

I have downloaded the midi file you made (thx by the way !). I'll try it when I have a little more time.

And the fact that you have to click play and have the exact same timing as Logic can be restricting (e.g. in a gig situation).

That's why you keep a laptop with you or with someone who can press play, and send the click track to a drummer.

Yeah true. The reason it works well for them live with unsustainable is they get the orchestra backing track going along with it in the same file. Much like we're doing here with logic and cubase. It sets you up with something to time with.

I think that MIDI file was the right one

and surely anything with a backing track is 'restricting' in ways? Not sure how you could make it less restricting

Shikari use shitloads of sort of backing tracks and MIDI whammy shit but are still pretty free around the stage. Around 2:20 in this, MIDI stuff and Rory is a beast

och7KEM2_r8

That's why you keep a laptop with you or with someone who can press play, and send the click track to a drummer.

No very practical imo... I don't imagine myself clicking play on my computer or having someone to do it.

Stupid question (from a midi noob) : no way to "click play" with a midi controller ?

Yeah true. The reason it works well for them live with unsustainable is they get the orchestra backing track going along with it in the same file. Much like we're doing here with logic and cubase. It sets you up with something to time with.

Double-post

Yep, that what I was thinking. But we are not Bellamy ^^

But is there a way to add the backing track to the file ? It would be simpler.

I think that MIDI file was the right one

and surely anything with a backing track is 'restricting' in ways? Not sure how you could make it less restricting

Shikari use shitloads of sort of backing tracks and MIDI whammy shit but are still pretty free around the stage. Around 2:20 in this, MIDI stuff and Rory is a beast

och7KEM2_r8

I meant without backing track. Very difficult to play some synth things (instead of the orchestra backing track) and to have the perfect timing when the weooooo comes...

PS : Enter Shikari are really mad xD. That was absolutely crazy when I saw them at Reading fest past year ^^

Edited by Lozo

Yes you do it all in one file on whatever program your using. So you import the unsutainable audio and line up the midi automation timings with it. That way when that part comes in the song and you play it the midi automation happens at the same time.

OK, it's much clearer now. Thx :)

Hey Dom, heres a screenshot of what I was telling you abut with the program changes. Good news is there is a way to filter the midi list to just prog changes so that was helpful but check out how I have 1 8 9 and 23. I'm thinking the 9 may be what yours was listed as 7 since I still have 8. Also I don't have any zeros except for the "data 2" column. Do I have to change those too or just the values in "data 1" column. I guess it would be helpful if you open logic and look at what your third program change is being that mine lists a 9 in between two 8s. Like I said I'm thinking its 7 but let me know what whammy setting your third program change is.

cubprogchanges_zps512a8934.png