Playing Unsustainable

arj225

If you're sending MIDI the only thing that matters initially is whether it's bypassed or not. You can have the treadle still at any place the MIDI will just override that position.

Tried everything but still nothing, anyone got any midi files for whammy 4 they know works I could try?

Edit: Just noticed when I open a new project on cubase and insert the MIDI file in, my output of my midi cable does not show up whereas the input does?

Tried everything but still nothing, anyone got any midi files for whammy 4 they know works I could try?

Edit: Just noticed when I open a new project on cubase and insert the MIDI file in, my output of my midi cable does not show up whereas the input does?

Make sure your automated midi data track is in an actual midi track on your DAW. With cubase for me when you import a midi file it actually loads it as an "instrument track" so you have to add your own midi track and drag all the data up onto it. No one here told me that with cubase and it took me days to figure out why my cable wasn't putting anything out.

By where your tracks are to the left of them it'll say what kind of track it is "audio, midi, instrument etc."

Once you got that figured out the next step is making sure your output is with your cable. I'd plug you cable in before you open cubase so it recognizes it, mine seems to not if I plug it in after cubase and my project was already opened. To get it to recognize it the first time go to "devices" and device set up. You can change the input and output. You'll need to make sure your output is listed as your cable (mine says mio). From there once its recognized and if its plug n play your computer will get the driver it needs you can select the midi track back on your main track view of your DAW and select output to the left of your track (click the track then the title of it on the left and itll open up a drop down where you can click the output arrow and again get it to list whatever your cable is (again mine says mio here as thats the brand of cable I have).

Edited by Citizen_Eraser

Make sure your automated midi data track is in an actual midi track on your DAW. With cubase for me when you import a midi file it actually loads it as an "instrument track" so you have to add your own midi track and drag all the data up onto it. No one here told me that with cubase and it took me days to figure out why my cable wasn't putting anything out.

By where your tracks are to the left of them it'll say what kind of track it is "audio, midi, instrument etc."

Once you got that figured out the next step is making sure your output is with your cable. I'd plug you cable in before you open cubase so it recognizes it, mine seems to not if I plug it in after cubase and my project was already opened. To get it to recognize it the first time go to "devices" and device set up. You can change the input and output. You'll need to make sure your output is listed as your cable (mine says mio). From there once its recognized and if its plug n play your computer will get the driver it needs you can select the midi track back on your main track view of your DAW and select output to the left of your track (click the track then the title of it on the left and itll open up a drop down where you can click the output arrow and again get it to list whatever your cable is (again mine says mio here as thats the brand of cable I have).

I've dragged the midi file into an actual midi track on cubase now, cubase picks up my cable and I have assigned the input/output but still nothing :$ Its really strange because I used to be able to get it working almost instantly and never had to mess around with any settings... Heres a screenshot of my cubase to see if anything obvious is wrong? :) and yes...im still rocking xp on my desktop :yesey:

attachment.php?attachmentid=15417&stc=1&d=1369755451

screenshot.thumb.jpg.360d551255d3b668b28cdefc8e0749ba.jpg

Everything from your screenshot looks correct. Make sure you're using the right end of your cable if your cable goes USB - midi in or midi out. You'll want to use the "out" cable and plug it into the "midi in" on your whammy. Not in to in. OUT to IN. Everything else looks fine. If that is correct and still nothing then your whammy might be on the wrong channel. You can change it by holding the power on button with it unplugged and then plugging it in with the button held. The red led light should be flashing. Put it at the top of the right column for channel one. Your cubase screenshot says your DAW is outputting to channel one so that might be it.

Edited by Citizen_Eraser

If all that is correct and still nothing something might be wrong with your midi file. Try all those tips I gave you and if nothing I'll send you my whammy 4 cubase file. Probably the whole project folder but it'll have to wait a couple hours til I am at home on my desktop.

Yeah I can only think it's the channel

Yeah except the whammy usually defaults to the "omni" channel which will work no matter what cubase is set to. Think hes using the wrong end of the cable to be honest or something is wrong with the file and its not using cc11 its using some other cc command so no treadle positions are being changed.

Cheers for all the help though guys :awesome:

Right never knew you had to change the midi channel like that... :facepalm: tested with all the channels but still nothing and the midi cable is going output into the whammy. so im pretty sure now its the file im using :$

Cheers for all the help though guys :awesome:

Right never knew you had to change the midi channel like that... :facepalm: tested with all the channels but still nothing and the midi cable is going output into the whammy. so im pretty sure now its the file im using :$

Does your cable only have one end and the software decides whether its in or out or do you have a usb and two midi ends? Also if you went through all your channels testing make sure you put it back to 1. Top of right column. Because otherwise if you suddenly get it going and its on the wrong channel you won't know because nothing will be coming out.

Does your cable only have one end and the software decides whether its in or out or do you have a usb and two midi ends?

The midi cable I use has two ends 'in/out' and im using the out end into the whammy, then on cubase the output is set for the midi cables output like shown in that screenshot.

The midi cable I use has two ends 'in/out' and im using the out end into the whammy, then on cubase the output is set for the midi cables output like shown in that screenshot.

Yep again sounds all correct. Go into devices adn device setup and see what all is listed. I had to do some stuff in there to get my midi device as active instead of inactive but yours probably is active since it shows up in your list of outputs that you selected on the left. If it wasn't active it wouldn't even show up there.

Yep again sounds all correct. Go into devices adn device setup and see what all is listed. I had to do some stuff in there to get my midi device as active instead of inactive but yours probably is active since it shows up in your list of outputs that you selected on the left. If it wasn't active it wouldn't even show up there.

Yeh just checked they're all active :) I think its time to say...my midi file...is a heap of shite... :LOL: most likely caused by me breaking it at some point in the past :facepalm:

Yeh just checked they're all active :) I think its time to say...my midi file...is a heap of shite... :LOL: most likely caused by me breaking it at some point in the past :facepalm:

Yeah idk something is up. When I'm home I'll send you my whole project. It's all set up to play. You'll just have to select your midi cable in the output and it should be fine if your whammy is back on channel 1.

Yeah idk something is up. When I'm home I'll send you my whole project. It's all set up to play. You'll just have to select your midi cable in the output and it should be fine if your whammy is back on channel 1.

Cheers! that would be awesome :awesome: and thanks again for all the help dudes :D

edit: Dom just watched your cover again, fucking awesome :facemelt: Loving this song at the moment after seeing it on saturday :awesome:

Cheers! that would be awesome :awesome: and thanks again for all the help dudes :D

edit: Dom just watched your cover again, fucking awesome :facemelt: Loving this song at the moment after seeing it on saturday :awesome:

Yeah live it really shines. It has become one of my favorites mainly for that middle section. It's so good live.

You should share it as well so I become youtube famous :awesome:

Just had a quick muck around testing the midi file, me happy now.

Getting there slowly with it, only recorded extremely roughly on my iphone and 100% not perfect but its still a ton of fun :awesome: After exams gonna get myself a mic cable/stand so I can finally use my SM57 :)

[sOUNDCLOUD]

[/sOUNDCLOUD] Edited by D3adstar