Why do people either love the Resistance or hate it.

nixter

I've never liked TR personally. When it came out I was a brand new fan and I tried really hard to love it, but nah. I just hated IBTY/Guiding Light/USoE and wasn't bowled over by the rest. I still give Exo 1,2, and 3 the occasional listen though

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Musically I feel like this is there best album, I mean it has Matts most intricate piano songs for the most part (I belong to you, Exo parts 2 and 3, USOE) and some of his most busy guitar songs (MK ULTRA, Unnatural Selection) and it has there best orchestra songs (Exo 1, 2, 3). And as for the goat of all Muse goats Guiding Light, yes the lyrics are cheesy but the guitar is AWESOME in this song albeit simple 80's cheese. I love that song. The only song I never cared for was Undisclosed desires, only because musically it doesn't go anywhere or add anything to the album as a whole, vocally I really like the song, just needed something else.

So while I still think Absolution and Origin are better albums overall, musically Matt's never been better in my honest opinion. And as an album I think it flows quite nicely.

• 2 years later...

I liked the whole thing when I was 16/17, but now its the worst Muse album for me.

I kinda admire the balls to put something as absurdly cheesy as Guiding Light on the LP and playing it live for 2 straight tours for no fucking reason, but its a song I went off really quickly. Oddly, given it was inspired by stadium rock, it was seeing it live and being bored shitless by it that put me off. Resistance and UD are also poor, and tbh I haven't heard anything after MK Ultra in years.

Yeah I was also in my "Muse can do no wrong" state when I was awaiting the new album. Honestly that feeling was so special. Being a teenager and actually finding your first band that you start to follow religiously. It was an emotional time.

I can't really remember my first reaction, but it's and pieces tell me it wasn't very good. I forced myself to like MK Ultra even though it still hasn't actually clicked with me. I remember hearing USoE for the first time at my family's summer place with no internet so I had to wait ages to get it to download on my phone, but when I eventually heard it I was mostly just excited about the concept of new Muse material.

In the end the album left no lasting impression on me, despite coming out at a time where I was extremely impressionable.

First thing I heard/saw was Uprising's music video on telly while at a friend's house for tea. Felt really weird to feel kinda flat about a Muse song, think I tried to tell my friend "they're better than that, I promise" :chuckle:

Then my uncle got the album as a present but I pinched it to put on my iPod and watch the Making Of. Ran upstairs, imported it, stuck on some speakers and lied down on the floor. Thought Uprising, GL + Resistance were meh and IBTY + UD were trash. US and MK felt like an oasis in the desert by the time they came on. Didn't listen to Exogenesis straight away 'cause I was 13 and thought 'lmao symphony no thx', bloody cried when I eventually got round to it though :LOL:

Funny how IBTY and UD have ended up being potentially my two favourites on the album. Nowt else ever really changed, 'cept for massively losing interest in Eurasia and Exogenesis.

MK Ultra is the only thing that still remotely interests me from TR, and even that is with a caveat and that is seemingly the disdain with which the band have treated it. It was easily the most exciting song on the TR tour yet they barely played it. I can see Reapers going the same way.

Didn't listen to Exogenesis straight away 'cause I was 13 and thought 'lmao symphony no thx', bloody cried when I eventually got round to it though :LOL:

I was the opposite having listened to more symphonic music before really picking up on rock. I was so excited at the idea of it that I was very disappointed when it was really just standard songs. Part I was there though and I've come to really love the other two as individual songs.

TR came out when I was still in the biggest fanboy honeymoon '____ can do no wrong' phase I've ever been in for anything.

and it still managed to fuck it up

It took me a while longer to get out of that Muse fanboy fandom with thinking everything they released was gold. I genuinely liked TR for about a year after it came out, and even by 2011 or so I still was a fan of a fair bit of it. It was only really in the months before The 2nd Law came out when I re-considered it and thought "... it wasn't that good really, was it?

MK Ultra and Undisclosed Desires are still pretty good. Unnatural Selection is fun. Exogenesis is still genuinely good. Uprising is good but overplayed.The rest is pretty meh. Something about the other songs makes them feel pretty shallow.

I still think it's a bit better than The 2nd Law. Drones, for its disappointments, was a step in the right direction for me. Reapers and The Handler in particular are really fleshed-out songs.

I wonder what it is about MK that leaves a lot of people feeling cold on it. I mean, I'm in that boat to an extent and even I can't really pinpoint it like I can with other songs. Can it all be put down to production/mastering?

When I saw it so high on that poll in '15/'16(?), my natural reaction just mustered a "Meh, okay?"

I wonder what it is about MK that leaves a lot of people feeling cold on it. I mean, I'm in that boat to an extent and even I can't really pinpoint it like I can with other songs. Can it all be put down to production/mastering?

When I saw it so high on that poll in '15/'16(?), my natural reaction just mustered a "Meh, okay?"

I found an old quote of mine where I had a little rant about how shit it was and felt a bit bemused by the extent of my past self's vitriol :$

On reflection though, I do think the production must be a big part of it, because the opening riff really doesn't do it for me, and it's not just because the melody isn't that memorable - there's something annoying about it that isn't there in the live version. I still think it sounds a bit Europop too.

There's something wrong in the verses too - maybe it's the vocal phrasing or something, but it all seems kinda cluttered & doesn't pack a punch. I've always disliked the lyrics too even though they're not much worse than the standard Muse conspiracy fare. Also, unlike other guitar chuggers, there's not really a big chorus - instrumentally or vocally - in the same way as there is on New Born or SS.

And as for the outro... still can't comprehend how the bird noises made it onto the album without anyone vetoing them.

TR was actually largely responsible for getting me into Muse, along with the singles from BH&R and even Neutron Star Collision :p I remember the first time listening to it thinking how it was the most progressive and craziest music I'd heard up to that point :p So it still has a soft spot in my heart. I was in that "Muse can't do any wrong" when T2L came out, and I reacted to that the same way most of you reacted to TR.

TR was actually largely responsible for getting me into Muse, along with the singles from BH&R and even Neutron Star Collision :p I remember the first time listening to it thinking how it was the most progressive and craziest music I'd heard up to that point :p So it still has a soft spot in my heart. I was in that "Muse can't do any wrong" when T2L came out, and I reacted to that the same way most of you reacted to TR.

Pretty much same. TR is actually still my fav Muse album.

Though more recently I'm realizing how much fun T2L is if I just let it be...it's maybe going to eclipse Abso and BH&R for me, which have always been very middling for me as albums (though each is filled with incredible songs)...:$

Cue the :eek: 's

Despite not really having much love for TR now, the release was great.

I was in France on a summer holiday when they Eurasia hunt started, getting a new piece every couple of days.

Then there were the Teignmouth gigs where I heard some of the songs for the first time, remembering Unnatural Selection was a monster then.

I also still love the towers arena gig set up, I thought that was immensely cool - even with the bullshit reason it made the sets more rigid which is nonsense (Turin 2009 and Brisbane 2010, eh?)

Archived