Why do people either love the Resistance or hate it.

nixter

The problem for TR(except Exo) and T2L is the lack of highs.

To me is not a problem, TR is a solid album as a whole, as you said don't have highs or lows. Is a concept like these old progressive albums of the '70s you have to sit and listen to the full thing for a better experience.

Listening to TR in full for the first time in a while and suddenly I love it. Even GL sounds amazing.

I give up on having opinions.

Edit: IBTY is still bad.

Tbf, Guiding Light is an epic track. It just got horrendously over played and as such, went the way of Feeling Good / Starlight etc.

It does seem that The Resistance kinda just plateaux's throughout though. In previous albums there was always a riff or something to change the records direction. You dont really get that with The Resistance. Even MK Ultra's pretty weak compared to previous songs.

Saying that, I do actually like the album, it kinda works as a whole.

IMHO this album starts reasonably well (although as far as first 2/3 opening tracks go all of the previous albums are superior, and Resistance is kinda average) and ends brilliantly, but from the second chorus of USOE to the end of IBTY it drags a fair bit.

Unnatural Selection is a beast live, and actually having listened to it again today it's not that bad on record either. But the lyrics are kinda annoying ("counterbalance this commotion" etc) and the middle section kinda plods along without any atmosphere at all (again, it's better live)

Guiding Light isn't actually completely awful on record but it falls just short of being the powerful and poignant song it could have been (and is propped up heavily by the solo) and IBTY is completely the wrong side of cheesy, I kinda have to be in a certain mood to listen to it.

MK Ultra is just crap filler. The lyrics are unacceptable, the intro is uninteresting (it sounds like a melody from an ABBA song, but sped up and just generally layered in shite) and the verses are laughable. It's got a vaguely heavy section after the (boring) chorus which they also make into what could have been a good outro, except for the fact they stick this noise that sounds like a blackbird getting raped all over it.

So for me as a collection of songs it's a bit of a meh record. I still think thematically and sonically it is far more cohesive than T2L though, and thus works better as an album.

IBTY is completely the wrong side of cheesy, I kinda have to be in a certain mood to listen to it.

MK Ultra is just crap filler. The lyrics are unacceptable, the intro is uninteresting (it sounds like a melody from an ABBA song, but sped up and just generally layered in shite) and the verses are laughable. It's got a vaguely heavy section after the (boring) chorus which they also make into what could have been a good outro, except for the fact they stick this noise that sounds like a blackbird getting raped all over it.

The definition of "opinion" has changed to include this specific string of words being objectively incorrect.

Everyone saying Muse has become worse after BHAR is a fanboy. Their quality as a live band and ther quality as musicians has evoled so much. And that has been the process since 20 years

This is a fan forum last time I checked but anyway your point is still bizarre :rolleyes:

Honestly if they never put out this album in 2009 but just put out Exogenesis EP their reputation would be so much more solid now. Also never release that atrocity "Neturon Star Collision" or T2L. So the last 8 years since BH&R would have just been Exogenesis EP and people wondering when the next GREAT Muse album would come. I'd rather have quality then quantity, but Muse have tarnished their reputation(c. 2008) with what they put out later.

Honestly if they never put out this album in 2009 but just put out Exogenesis EP their reputation would be so much more solid now. Also never release that atrocity "Neturon Star Collision" or T2L. So the last 8 years since BH&R would have just been Exogenesis EP and people wondering when the next GREAT Muse album would come. I'd rather have quality then quantity, but Muse have tarnished their reputation(c. 2008) with what they put out later.

they haven't tarnished anything, The Resistance is really what globally put them on the map, without The Resistance they'd be nowhere near as big in places like Australia and vitally America... sure The Resistance and The 2nd Law weren't as good as anything prior to them, but to mainstream, commercial audiences they were great, because they featured lots of poppy sounding songs, while also maintaining a bit of a signature muse sound underneath it all

• 4 weeks later...

It's a very very GREAT album and I dunno how it receives negative reviews, maybe because some people don't like the idea of a concept album but for me, I'm in love with the idea and the book '1984' itself and I think Muse did a great job with taking such a great masterpiece of Orwell to the lyrical and musical world! ;)

It's a very very GREAT album and I dunno how it receives negative reviews, maybe because some people don't like the idea of a concept album but for me, I'm in love with the idea and the book '1984' itself and I think Muse did a great job with taking such a great masterpiece of Orwell to the lyrical and musical world! ;)
I'm sure that if you actually read some of the criticism you'll find out how.

I find this statement kind of true actually, the whole "Love it or hate it" deal. When TR first came out i Love love loved it, then i hate hate hated it, then i love loved it, then i hate hated it, then i loved it, then i hated it, now I appreciate it. I cant imagine a world without the Exogenesis, USoE,MK:U, US, or Undisclosed Desires. It's nothing in comparison to Absolution and OoS, but its everything in comparison to anything any other artist could pull off.

In addition it is my least favorite album from my favorite band.

Gotta say to any hardcore muse fan that hates this album, how on gods green earth can you hate this album when it has the following masterpieces:

Exogenesis parts 1, 2 AND 3

Unnatural Selection

MK Ultra

I happen to love the rest of the album (the only song I can take or leave is Undisclosed Desires, Guiding light has an amazing vocal and guitar solo so anyone that hates that song can stuff it) but you can't deny that those songs I listed are great. I suppose an argument could be made that it doesn't compare to albums like absolution or Origin but its FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR from there worst album, which in my mind is showbiz or the 2nd law.

Archived