Why do people either love the Resistance or hate it.

nixter

they haven't tarnished anything, The Resistance is really what globally put them on the map, without The Resistance they'd be nowhere near as big in places like Australia and vitally America... sure The Resistance and The 2nd Law weren't as good as anything prior to them, but to mainstream, commercial audiences they were great, because they featured lots of poppy sounding songs, while also maintaining a bit of a signature muse sound underneath it all

This isn't really true for the most part. They became known in Australia because of Black Holes & Revelations. The Resistance basically rode off that success and The 2nd Law saw large drops in gig attendance relative to TR tour. I'm not sure if it was the same internationally, but if it was, then this could be the reason behind muse stating they are going back to their roots for this next album.

It's definitely true for America. They went from being largely unknown and playing theater gigs, to playing arenas, being played on mainstream radio stations even in backwaters like where I live, and winning American awards, most notably the Grammy. BH&R might have got the ball rolling, but they still hadn't penetrated many areas of the country until Uprising.

And unlike it seems most of the rest of the world, Madness was an unstoppable monster in the US, even breaking briefly into mainstream Top 40 radio for a while, and being in the Top 10 of alternative radio for a record setting amount of time.

And, to a few posts above: I think Exo is a masterpiece, but I feel that US and MK are bland, and lack the emotional impact that their previous work had.

So, it's still all very subjective, innit.

I don't hate TR, but I don't love it like I did their previous albums. People just don't talk about in-between feelings as much, that's all.

FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR from there worst album, which in my mind is showbiz or the 2nd law.

How can you hate Showbiz? Muscle Museum, Cave, Showbiz, Fillip, Uno,Escape, Sober? The whole album is great. Compare that to debut albums of any other band. Plus it's a debut album so of course they are not going to sound like the progressive Muse we know today. But how can you not appreciate it? It's not their best, but in my opinion it sits at #4. I think it's great. Dave Grohl and Anthony Kiedis loved it enough to bring them along on some tours I might add.

I respect Showbiz (the album) for what it is, but it has aged terribly, and the quality difference between it and OoS is staggering.

Even a few of the songs (mainly Showbiz and Sunburn) vastly overshadow the rest of the album, further drawing attention to what it is - a bridge between two very different phases of a band's growth.

I enjoy a lot of the other songs on the album (Sober not being one of them) but it's definitely a very uneven collection of songs from a band that hasn't quite found their stride yet.

"I like it and some famous musicians like it, how can you not like it?!?!?!?!?"

What i was trying to get across by mentioning them was that this album is the keystone to why they have become who they are today. As is any debut album, but I like this particular album and wanted to hear his input on it.. So mock me, but realiE this is a discussion board, and Im going to discuss.

this album is the keystone to why they have become who they are today.

Is it really though?

So mock me, but realiE this is a discussion board, and Im going to discuss.

There's no need to go all defensive, you're free to discuss whatever you want and I don't think I stated otherwise. But I'm not sure using points like "how can you not like this", "it has good songs", "I really like it!" or "it's great!" offers a great basis for a discussion.

Is it really though?

There's no need to go all defensive, you're free to discuss whatever you want and I don't think I stated otherwise. But I'm not sure using points like "how can you not like this", "it has good songs", "I really like it!" or "it's great!" offers a great basis for a discussion.

"How can you not like it"

"I don't like it because..."

Discussion moves forward

And I can't share my opinion? Damn...

But I wasn't trying to come off as defensive if it seemed that way. More just being sassy, sorry if it came off that way, and for liking Showbiz;)

I think it's a great album. I don't know why but recently it's the album I always chuck on when in doubt. There were some great ideas in this album but I think it wasn't quite adventurous enough overall and that's where some of the criticism comes from.

I really like MK Ultra. It's a gem of a track! 👍 I love Unnatural Selection but I feel it could have had way more oomph and a bigger final solo and breakdown.

Exogenisis is hauntingly beautiful. Not as great as Muse lead us to believe it would be...but I still love it.

The only song I skip is I Belong to You. It is completely out of place on that album.

Funny that this album was their biggest considering it was their most experimental at the time.

I like The Resistance. But US and MK Ultra really bore me. They sound like bog standard rock songs by numbers.

The part where US cools down in the middle particularly bores me. And the chorus sounds like something I've hear elsewhere.

Stuff about Unnatural Selection, Guiding Light and MK Ultra

Much agreement.

I think Exo is a masterpiece, but I feel that US and MK are bland, and lack the emotional impact that their previous work had.

Yes

So, it's still all very subjective, innit.

No

I like The Resistance

The part where US cools down in the middle particularly bores me. And the chorus sounds like something I've hear elsewhere.

It might be Lay All Your Love On Me by ABBA, there's a vocal melody that's similar ("counterbalance this commotion..."). Actually, listening back, the verses from Who's Got a Match sound similar to the ABBA song as well :eek:

• 4 weeks later...
I don't hate it, nor do I love it. I think it's fine, and has some good songs, but just doesn't have enough of them. In fact, that whole album was kind of short. Take away Exogenesis and you're left with 8 songs.

Take away three songs from OoS and you're left with 8 songs.

Archived