Do you like Explorers?  

414 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Explorers?

• Yes
    • No
    • What?

Only 1 thing that bothers me about this song. One of the lyrics needs to be changed to sound much better, " A world lush and blue, with rivers running wild "

should be

" A world lush and blue, with rivers running THROUGH "

Sounds alot better and when i listen to it thats all i can think about

Though it rhymes, it would take away a bit from the meaning. The idea, I think, is that human beings tame nature which is why the rivers are described as wild rather than just running through.

Panic Station and Animals have really good lyrics, I think. (and both Chris' songs too, but we're talking about Matt)

Well Panic Station is the only song on the album that doesn't make any lyrical sense to me at all. I wonder if it's meant to. Not that I care, the song's still great. I think Chris's songs are a real mixture. Some of the lines are quite good like:

"Break me up and steal what's left inside"

But some are bad like:

"Wait just a while

And I'll greet you with a smile"

And some don't make any sense to me at all (and sound bad) like:

"Spin me round and have me to divert"

IBTY would have been better if he didn't use the word 'muse' in it.

That again would take something away from the song. I think it adds interest to the song, particularly how Matt has done it by splitting the word with the opera in the middle. Hmm I've only just thought that it could be a direct reference to the "split like Rio" line. I think the song is full of references, my favourite being:

" You're my guiding lightning strike"

"And she attacks me like a Leo, when my heart is split like Rio."

But I know that the whole song it's not supposed to be serious, therefore I'm not bothered by its lyrics.

Can't really see a lot wrong with that tbh.

Oh yeah definitely his worst line.

I remember how he explained it on twitter: "Rio is pretty divided, 5 Star hotels and favelas close together. Leo star sign." :LOL:

The line could also refer to a fiery woman attacking him (Leo is a fire sign) and him being torn regarding where his sentiments lie. If so, you think Matt would explain that on twitter?

I really hate that line. Supremacy's a bit more of a serious song and that line just sticks out so much. It could've been something like "to their need" or whatever.

which doesn't make any sense.

When I sing along to it, I change it to "to be thieves". I just thought it sounded better and less embarrassing than "to be mean".

But "thieves" wouldn't give it the right meaning.

The best change on that line is "brainwashing our children tuning in". It works quite well.

nor would that.

As for Supremacy, I change that one horrible line to "brainwashing our children to deceive"

Again loses what I think is the intended sense.

I've seen so many alterations of that line. Really Matt, why "mean"

Because imo it is referring to how our current political system, media, advertising etc teaches people to be selfish and out for number 1, which can lead to disregarding the welfare of others.

I can't really see what's so wrong with using the word "mean". Though the beginning of the line is more confusing, "teaching our children to be mean" makes perfect sense to me.

[utter nonsense]

" You're my guiding lightning strike"

Ya that is another terrible line in a reference to their own terrible song.

[more nonsense]

The line could also refer to a fiery woman attacking him (Leo is a fire sign) and him being torn regarding where his sentiments lie. You think Matt would explain that on twitter?

I don't even ...

which doesn't make any sense.

That hasn't stopped Matt in the past.

A board based on CarrieB posts

is

UNREADABLE

UNRE

UNREADA UNREADA READA

UNR UNR

UNRE UNREADA UNREADA

UNR UNR

Because imo it is referring to how our current political system, media, advertising etc teaches people to be selfish and out for number 1, which can lead to disregarding the welfare of others.

I can't really see what's so wrong with using the word "mean". Though the beginning of the line is more confusing, "teaching our children to be mean" makes perfect sense to me.

I know why the word was used. Saying "out for number 1" reminds me of Unnatural Selection, which I think said it a lot better.

The word "mean" just seems a bit too simple and even vague when representing the point.

Ya that is another terrible line in a reference to their own terrible song.

I don't even ...

That hasn't stopped Matt in the past.

A board based on CarrieB posts

is

UNREADABLE

UNRE

UNREADA UNREADA READA

UNR UNR

UNRE UNREADA UNREADA

UNR UNR

You can disagree if you like but honestly! :rolleyes:

Also I think there must be something wrong with your reading skills. :erm::p

In your interpretation, maybe. In mine it works just fine.

Fair enough. I suppose I can see how the word "thieves" might work in some contexts, such as that of believing property ownership to be theft, or that paying low wages is theft, or that profit making is theft, that is if the intention was to be specific.

But, personally, I think "mean" works just fine in pointing to, and encompassing, a more general selfish outlook.

Incidentally, I don't think it necessarily means that kids really are mean. I think it's just a broad attack of hyper-capitalism.

Archived