Do you like Explorers?  

414 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Explorers?

• Yes
    • No
    • What?

What are the funny percussion instruments you hear part way through up until the sleigh bells start?

That's the elves in Santa's workshop. :chuckle: No honestly it makes me think of building things, as if it's reminiscent of the industrial revolution or something. Or Santa's workshop.

I don't know what the percussion instruments are, I'm afraid, but I think it sounds good.

Incidentally Santa - the high priest of consumerism - who teaches all the little boys and girls that the route to happiness is getting more toys, recreated by Coca Cola.

That's the elves in Santa's workshop. :chuckle: No honestly it makes me think of building things, as if it's reminiscent of the industrial revolution or something. Or Santa's workshop.

I don't know what the percussion instruments are, I'm afraid, but I think it sounds good.

Incidentally Santa - the high priest of consumerism - who teaches all the little boys and girls that the route to happiness is getting more toys, recreated by Coca Cola.

I knew I could count on you ;)

This song sums up exactly how I feel about the world & life, and i'm shocked that so many people are attacking Matt's lyrics in this thread. I have never had a band's lyrics be so close to my thoughts and beliefs. I think they are genious and they're a huge part of why I love this band so much.

I'd gladly discuss this matter further with you. Can I have your email?

This song sums up exactly how I feel about the world & life, and i'm shocked that so many people are attacking Matt's lyrics in this thread. I have never had a band's lyrics be so close to my thoughts and beliefs. I think they are genious and they're a huge part of why I love this band so much.

THIS!! I agree with every single word you said. It's good to see some appreciation to this song. Explorers is my second favorite song in this album. :)

+10000000000000000000

Does it change key at the A chord during the bridge thing? Or at the transcended chorus just after?

It's changes key after the bridge (To be precise it goes: aahhhhhaaahh ahhhhaaaahhh ahhhhh oooooh oooooohooohOohooooh wooooaaahhaaahh KEY CHANGE freeee me etc etc) :p

If there's one time I'm going to cry during the gig on Wednesday it will be the key change in this song

I cry to this song all the time (today again, driving), so I have tissues handy for the 30th @ Birmingham. That key change gets me every time - and the shhh bit at the end finishes me off

I do think that the "shhh, go to sleep" at the end is genius.

Clearly, I need to stop skipping this song. It's not my favorite, but apparently i'm missing out.

The "aaahahahahhhhhhahhhh"s before the key change just remind me of an 80s musical.

:::::shudder:::::::

I cry to this song all the time (today again, driving), so I have tissues handy for the 30th @ Birmingham. That key change gets me every time - and the shhh bit at the end finishes me off

I am yet to cry but listened to it in the car today whilst driving past a wind farm and it was one of those 'gaze out the windows and imagine you are in an emotional music video' moments :supersad:

I had big expectations for Explorers with all the comparisons to Abso/Blackout I had read. the song didn't exactly meet my expectations but I still love it! it's cheesy and campy kind of in the way IBTY is but I just get a...happy(??) feeling from it. unusual for Muse but it sounds good. I hate IBTY though.

The piano bit in Explorers also reminds me of Billy Joel's music which I am a fan of :$:shifty:

I haven't read any interpretations of the lyrics outside of Matt's, which was predictable. From Musewiki (sorry if someone already posted it in the thread):

‘Explorers’ is drenched in the sense of not feeling you belong on your own planet. Very nearly called ‘Alien Explorers’, Matt claimed, but “not in the way of aliens from outer space but in the way of feeling like an alien on your own planet. It’s about the intense desire to grow and expand - at some point nature will become the minority. I’m not sure if I’m really coming from an environmental thing - [Explorers] is where I’m singing about my views on property rights. The idea that corporations can own vast tracts of foreign countries. I’m not sure if the deal went through but, I think it was in Paraguay or Uraguay, the Bush family bought something like a million acres of land, which underneath contains the biggest natural water reservoir in South America. At some point there has to be someone who says: ‘That’s not right.’. Can BP buy Nigeria? At the moment they can. They could buy it and they kick all the natives out, shoot them down or whatever and just say: “We own this now”.

it almost sounded like he was criticizing colonialism. not likely what he intended, but that's what i'd like to believe. :D

Archived