Do you like Unsustainable?  

704 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Unsustainable?

• Yup
    • Nope
    • It's alright

As I mentioned above, devices have many different purposes besides the primary. Most people don't buy a gun for mass human murder but it doesn't make it less of an effective tool for that job.

I do see the point though that you could either consider the computer itself an instrument, or the DAW. That's more of a detail on another topic though, since both of those could be considered unconventional.

well, according to that, two shoes become instruments at the very moment I bang them together.

'conventional' instruments (guitar, piano etc) are 'real' instruments because that's the only purpose they serve. everything else falls into the "you can make sound with it, so if you really want to, you can call it an instrument" category.

that includes: shoes, buckets, tables, chairs, cuttlery AND computers.

check out this guy:

(sorry, I don't know how to insert the actual video, could someone PM me on how to do it?)

well, according to that, two shoes become instruments at the very moment I bang them together.

'conventional' instruments (guitar, piano etc) are 'real' instruments because that's the only purpose they serve. everything else falls into the "you can make sound with it, so if you really want to, you can call it an instrument" category.

check out this guy:

(sorry, I don't know how to insert the actual video, could someone PM me on how to do it?)

You could categorize them into "conventional" or "unconventional" instruments, but I never liked the "real instruments" much. Does that mean the other ones are not "real"? And yes, if you bang two shoes together, that can be an instrument. Most percussion instruments very basic, even the concept is just hitting stuff to make noise. Spoons are a widely used "instrument".

YouTube embedding is [YT]video url [ /YT]

check out this guy:

I can always use my guitar as a place to eat breakfast on.

I just listened to Unsustainable again for the first time in like 3 or weeks and I've got to admit...as much as I want to I still don't like the song. :(

I think the beginning strings part with the news reporter is cool and everything but it feels more like the audio to a science fiction movie trailer to me rather than an actual song. The dubstep part is okay but not really my thing since I'm not really into dubstep. The part after the dubstep is definitely the best part, especially when Matt's vocals come in but all it's potential to be amazing and to build up to an awesome, climatic ending is ruined when the dubstep part is straight copied and pasted from earlier in the song. I realize now that the main reason I never want to listen to this song is because I only actively enjoy about 50 seconds of it and I have to wait 2 minutes to get to that point.

(^My opinion)

I just listened to Unsustainable again for the first time in like 3 or weeks and I've got to admit...as much as I want to I still don't like the song. :(

...The part after the dubstep is definitely the best part, especially when Matt's vocals come in but all it's potential to be amazing and to build up to an awesome, climatic ending is ruined when the dubstep part is straight copied and pasted from earlier in the song. I realize now that the main reason I never want to listen to this song is because I only actively enjoy about 50 seconds of it and I have to wait 2 minutes to get to that point.

(^My opinion)

I share your opinion.

Well that's just fucking great, isn't it :mad:

Fight me :mad:

Oh sure, there are similarities. There are similarities to that irresistible song someone kept going on about a month or so back. That doesn't necessary mean it sounds like Skrillex. It sounds like guitar, Skrillex's music does not.

Well, I doubt when most people hear it they instantly think "ah yes, that sounds like a guitars being modulated by a DigiTech Whammy to sound akin to the 'dubstep' genre, indeed". I also think it's stupid when people go "oh they've been playing riffs like that for years".

No. I can't quite think of any riff similar to Unsustainable

Will be interested to see if live he uses a MIDI controlled whammy like Shikari do in SystemMeltdown or if he just fucks around with it in general

Well, I doubt when most people hear it they instantly think "ah yes, that sounds like a guitars being modulated by a DigiTech Whammy to sound akin to the 'dubstep' genre, indeed". I also think it's stupid when people go "oh they've been playing riffs like that for years".

No. I can't quite think of any riff similar to Unsustainable

Will be interested to see if live he uses a MIDI controlled whammy like Shikari do in SystemMeltdown or if he just fucks around with it in general

Fair points but you can here a pronounced difference between the dub step sounds played by guitar and those made on a computer.

I haven't heard a lot of dub step but from what I have heard Skrillex's music is not far removed from the rest of dub step, which is why I think it sounds vaguely like dub step, not Skrillex particular.

I agree that Muse haven't done anything like this before.

it feels more like the audio to a science fiction movie trailer to me rather than an actual song.

(^My opinion)

This is why I love it. It's not just Verse/Chorus/Verse/Chorus blah blah (which is of course a fine structure) this is different. Not just another album track. It's broader and bigger and better. Or whatever.

This is why I love it. It's not just Verse/Chorus/Verse/Chorus blah blah (which is of course a fine structure) this is different. Not just another album track. It's broader and bigger and better. Or whatever.

Yeah I mean I get that, but it's just not something I casually enjoy listening to. I could see it as a really awesome live intro. I don't know if hearing/seeing this song in a live setting will change my opinion of it all

• 2 weeks later...

I've always loved this song. And i don't even like dubstep. That middle section with Matt's "Wooooaaaohhhs" is just amazing.

Also, I'm probably in a minority with this, but i don't mind the womans voice. To be honest, i even find myself talking along with it if I'm in the car listening to it all by myself.

Sorry if this has been asked before but why does it suddenly cut off at the end? It sounds like a bit of the ending has been spliced off, it just ends halfway through the sound right at the end and it's quite annoying :LOL:

It was supposed to be a two parter, but then Matt forgot about writing the second part.

Archived