Do you like Unsustainable?  

704 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Unsustainable?

• Yup
    • Nope
    • It's alright

There might be a way to have an auto whammy, theres auto wah effects out there obviously. But I think he has a tech or maybe even morgan running the whammy and the rest of the song is track that way morgan isn't doing too much.

Wonder how an auto whammy would work though seeing as it changes function and pitch constantly (where as stuff like the auto-wah has a defined frequency).

I want to say he has a tech there, but as mentioned before it is possible to program the commands yourself.

I'll be at home tomorrow so I'll try messing around with the whammy to see if I can get a similar effect.

Wonder how an auto whammy would work though seeing as it changes function and pitch constantly (where as stuff like the auto-wah has a defined frequency).

I want to say he has a tech there, but as mentioned before it is possible to program the commands yourself.

I'll be at home tomorrow so I'll try messing around with the whammy to see if I can get a similar effect.

Exactly what I was thinking. Its either pre recorded and hes miming. Or he's got someone backstage or Morgan working it. I can't see a way to get it to trigger on certain notes and not others when its not a constant frequency.

Edit: I guess theres a way for him to have preprogrammed what the whammy is to do and then morgan or a tech just turns it on when the drop hits. Either way I'll be disappointed as I'd rather a clear video come out to show Matt standing over there stepping on an actual whammy. I want the naysayers hating on the dubstep to get the full effect of this song live, not it being half assed.

Exactly what I was thinking. Its either pre recorded and hes miming. Or he's got someone backstage or Morgan working it. I can't see a way to get it to trigger on certain notes and not others when its not a constant frequency.

Edit: I guess theres a way for him to have preprogrammed what the whammy is to do and then morgan or a tech just turns it on when the drop hits. Either way I'll be disappointed as I'd rather a clear video come out to show Matt standing over there stepping on an actual whammy. I want the naysayers hating on the dubstep to get the full effect of this song live, not it being half assed.

This. So much. I want to see him stepping on that whammy. It loses the "oh wow, they're doing things other people only do with computers LIVE in front of me..." I think that was the allure of the record in the first place, as I usually don't listen to that kind of thing. The fact that it was real instrumentation done by the band itself was the selling point. I get that it's probably difficult to replicate outside the studio; Matt looked like he was really intensely concentrating on the making of video. Maybe it's just too taxing to do every night.

This. So much. I want to see him stepping on that whammy. It loses the "oh wow, they're doing things other people only do with computers LIVE in front of me..." I think that was the allure of the record in the first place, as I usually don't listen to that kind of thing. The fact that it was real instrumentation done by the band itself was the selling point. I get that it's probably difficult to replicate outside the studio; Matt looked like he was really intensely concentrating on the making of video. Maybe it's just too taxing to do every night.

Him actually doing it would be a good excuse for him not to do the singing bit though. That would be very difficult to multi task all of that. Or is there no whammy use during the vocals? I haven't heard the studio version of the song in a while.

Edit: I guess theres a way for him to have preprogrammed what the whammy is to do and then morgan or a tech just turns it on when the drop hits.

If he does it the way I think he does you could probably just program it to be in the heel down position, although he does have a lot of his effects turned on backstage so I wouldn't be surprised.

I wonder what's the point though? If he was running around or being typical theatrical Matt I would understand, but the only difference is that instead of standing in front of the whammy he's standing in front of the drumkit.

Him actually doing it would be a good excuse for him not to do the singing bit though. That would be very difficult to multi task all of that. Or is there no whammy use during the vocals? I haven't heard the studio version of the song in a while.

There's no whammy in the vocal part.

I came here to make a comment to find you lot all talking crap. Sorry, but it's really annoying, jeeeez.

I was going to say that I was listening to the album today whilst driving on a relatively long trip and loved listening to it really LOUD :D When Unsustainable came on I went all cold and weird - I ADORED it. Wow! And followed by IS :awesome:

Archived