Do you like Unsustainable?  

704 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Unsustainable?

• Yup
    • Nope
    • It's alright

... This makes no sense.

What you are saying is that they are instruments (based on facts/evidence) yet you don't believe they are.

No. I am saying I cannot disagree when people use THAT quote from a dictionary or whatever but I personally cannot ever consider a computer to be a musical instrument.

Again, I wanted to know her definition of "instrument" so I could prove her wrong :(

luv u hannah :kiss:

:mad: I don't have a definition. What you would normaly consider to be a musical instrument! A guitar, piano, clarinet, violin.

I would say 'something you have to press keys/pluck strings' to make a sound out of but that could be connected to a laptop. Or something that doesn't involve anything electrical but I still consider an electric guitar an instrument so, this is why I don't bother arguing.

:mad: I don't have a definition. What you would normaly consider to be a musical instrument! A guitar, piano, clarinet, violin.

I would say 'something you have to press keys/pluck strings' to make a sound out of but that could be connected to a laptop. Or something that doesn't involve anything electrical but I still consider an electric guitar an instrument so, this is why I don't bother arguing.

Must. Resist. To. Derail. The. Thread. Again.

:(

but I guess you get my way of thinking about the subject.

The computer itself is not a musical instrument, but that doesn't mean it can't be used as one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsU3B0W3TMs

Everything is music. Deal with it guys.

Even myself smashing my head on my Asus laptop matching the tempo of Madness' drumbeat is music.

Even myself smashing my Asus laptop on Danny's head is music.

Pretty much everything we use has multiple reasons for development and multiple applications, some that might not even be known to the creators. A computer generally is not made to be a musical instrument but it can be used as one, and it doesn't make it any less of an instrument than something made primarily for that reason like a guitar.

Pretty much everything we use has multiple reasons for development and multiple applications, some that might not even be known to the creators. A computer generally is not made to be a musical instrument but it can be used as one, and it doesn't make it any less of an instrument than something made primarily for that reason like a guitar.

Love for Kueller for making more sense then Fabri

This is how I see it:

A computer is an instrument, but unlike "traditional" instruments such as guitar, piano etc, it doesn't really require the physical skill and technique since you're mostly just using a mouse which is exactly the same as what you do when you use a computer for non music-making purposes. Kinda sounds like stating the obvious I know, but I'm not sure if anyone has articulated it yet.

The people who say Muse are better cos they're using "real" instruments unlike Skrillex etc are right in the respect that Muse have to have the physical skill to pull it off (and electronic artists don't have this skill, because after all they are electronic artists). The people bashing those people by saying electronic music requires just as much skill are also right, because electronic music requires a completely different set of skills (less physical ability, but perhaps more compositional talent). I feel like the two sides are pointless arguing different points.

I hope that makes sense? I'm absolutely lousy at putting my thoughts into words (C in my last English exam haha).

This is how I see it:

A computer is an instrument, but unlike "traditional" instruments such as guitar, piano etc, it doesn't really require the physical skill and technique since you're mostly just using a mouse which is exactly the same as what you do when you use a computer for non music-making purposes. Kinda sounds like stating the obvious I know, but I'm not sure if anyone has articulated it yet.

The people who say Muse are better cos they're using "real" instruments unlike Skrillex etc are right in the respect that Muse have to have the physical skill to pull it off (and electronic artists don't have this skill, because after all they are electronic artists). The people bashing those people by saying electronic music requires just as much skill are also right, because electronic music requires a completely different set of skills (less physical ability, but perhaps more compositional talent). I feel like the two sides are pointless arguing different points.

I hope that makes sense? I'm absolutely lousy at putting my thoughts into words (C in my last English exam haha).

I agree with most of this but I disagree that a computer itself is a musical instrument because that is not a computer's primary function and the majority of people don't buy it entirely to play music on it. The software that creates sounds is what makes virtual musical instruments.

I definitely agree though that creating and playing electronic music requires just as much talent as playing physical instruments, just a different set of skills.

I agree with most of this but I disagree that a computer itself is a musical instrument because that is not a computer's primary function and the majority of people don't buy it entirely to play music on it. The software that creates sounds is what makes virtual musical instruments.

As I mentioned above, devices have many different purposes besides the primary. Most people don't buy a gun for mass human murder but it doesn't make it less of an effective tool for that job.

I do see the point though that you could either consider the computer itself an instrument, or the DAW. That's more of a detail on another topic though, since both of those could be considered unconventional.

Archived