Do you like Unsustainable?  

704 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Unsustainable?

• Yup
    • Nope
    • It's alright

Or you get over yourself and realize there is no point in complaining every time some uses the term "real instruments", especially when you and everyone else fully understand what is ment when the term is used.

Honestly, it just irritates me so much that I have to say something.

And also, I actually can never be sure what someone really means when using the term "real instruments". It could just mean conventional instruments, or it could really mean that the person thinks electronic instruments, such as computers, are not actual instruments. That's why it would be just best if people stopped using that term completely.

And also, I actually can never be sure what someone really means when using the term "real instruments". It could just mean conventional instruments, or it could really mean that the person thinks electronic instruments, such as computers, are not actual instruments. That's why it would be just best if people stopped using that term completely.

Computers are not instruments. They are tools. They themselves (ie. the hard drives spinning, and keyboards clicking, etc.) dont make music.

Nah, if you pluck a string on a stringed instrument, it makes music. If you play some drums, you're making music. Play piano keys, music. etc. etc.

And if you create a beat in some software and press "Play", it makes music.

By your definition, does electric guitar even count as a real instrument? It only really makes music if you plug it into an amp.

"in·stru·ment/ˈinstrəmənt/

Noun:

A tool or implement, esp. one for delicate or scientific work.

Verb:

Equip (something) with measuring instruments.

Synonyms:

noun. implement - apparatus - appliance - utensil - device

verb. orchestrate"

Stop being so pedantic Travis ^.

Nah, if you pluck a string on a stringed instrument, it makes music. If you play some drums, you're making music. Play piano keys, music. etc. etc.

But those sounds aren't what the audience hear. The audience hears what comes out the speakers. The speakers is what makes the sounds the audience hear. If laptops raen't instruments because they don't make the music, then surely speakers are?

I get what you're saying, but it really feels quite pointless to start this discussion every time it's used.

Computers are not instruments. They are tools. They themselves (ie. the hard drives spinning, and keyboards clicking, etc.) dont make music.

Just...:facepalm:

"A musical instrument is a device created or adapted for the purpose of making musical sounds." So yes, computer is an instrument.

I get what you're saying, but it really feels quite pointless to start this discussion every time it's used.

I suppose that's true, but I just can't help it. Sorry if it annoys you.

I think that a Computer itself is not an instrument, however, with the correct programs and software, it has the ability to become a tool to make music. It's the software and the programs that can be considered the instruments

So a computer can be adapted to be a musical instrument.

A tool to make music = a musical instrument.

I think you mean computers do not create organic sounds. ;)

Computers/ computer programs can still create music.

Don't worry about it, you seem to get more annoyed by the term than I get by your annoyance. :yesey:

For the time you post an unfunny comment, I created a special picture for you.

The time has not come yet, so I don't use it. Your posts are funny. :phu:

:chuckle:

For the time you post an unfunny comment, I created a special picture for you.

The time has not come yet, so I don't use it. Your posts are funny. :phu:

:chuckle:

:LOL::kiss:

[edit] Well I guess this was an unfunny comment, what with being only two emoticons. BUT THIS EDIT CHANGED THAT

Archived