What do you think of Madness  

800 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Madness

• It's freaking amazing!
    • Pretty good. Decent pop song.
    • Tolerable, but me-me-me-meh.
    • I feel ill. Make it go away.

"So ... it can't be in Madness because he would make it more than a background part but it will be a background part in the electronic Follow Me?"

Your answer to this was weak.

The part in Madness could barely be heard. Compare it to say, the claps in Uprising, which are still a background part to all the other percussion, but you'd have to not be paying attention at all not to notice them.

The part in Madness could barely be heard. Compare it to say, the claps in Uprising, which are still a background part to all the other percussion, but you'd have to not be paying attention at all not to notice them.

That doesn't mean it can't be a vibraphone or a xylophone or whatever. I don't get it.

That doesn't mean it can't be a vibraphone or a xylophone or whatever. I don't get it.

:confused:

I never said it wasn't. I said what Matt was talking about from the article could be used in Follow Me. You said no cause the song was all electronic, but I'm just saying there's a chance it could be used in the background or something.

:confused:

I never said it wasn't. I said what Matt was talking about from the article could be used in Follow Me. You said no cause the song was all electronic, but I'm just saying there's a chance it could be used in the background or something.

Ok well I understood differently. Still don't think it's in Follow Me though.

Lol goldie hawn is matts girlfriend, bit old for him is she not? Didn't know he was that type :chuckle:

It would hardly make sense to blame Goldie Hawn for anything, obviously that is a barely-veiled reference to Kate Hudson.

Well I can't tell for sure either, so I guess we'll see.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to Follow Me. From the description it sounds like it will be different from things they have done in the past. (+ Nero lols will be fun when the board flips shit over it).

Okay. Let's be 100% honest with ourselves here.

Would anyone actually recognize Madness as being written and performed by Muse if you didn't know beforehand it was them?

Personally, if I didn't already know it was Muse, I would most definitely think it was U2. What puts it over-the-top "Bono" is the vocal doubled, separated by an octave toward the ending. THAT is signature Bono. Also, the way Matt is phrasing it..... In many of the lines, he starts at a low pitch, and quickly raises the note higher to the note the musical phrase starts on. It's difficult to explain in written context, as I'm not a trained musician. But I can certainly hear it. The "soulful" oooohs & ahhhs are not typical Matt either.

I don't think it's a BAD song. It's just NOT MUSE. It makes me question.... What IS Muse, anyway? It seems that they are extremely adept at displaying their influences. Especially the ones they've recently toured with. ;) They're having trouble hiding their schizophrenia. I'm hoping they take a good long break after this tour and give themselves some time to forget about music........ and then rediscover it AND themselves.

The song is very different for Muse that is true, but I still recognise Matt's voice irrespective of the technique. And there are already two songs that do sound like Muse, particularly Unsustainable, so I don't really see the problem with them experimenting with a different sound.

I don't really like it when people suggest that a successful band should take a break just because they personally don't like the band's direction. What about all the people who do? By all accounts Muse enjoyed themselves in the studio, and are happy and proud of their work. What they have revealed so far has been generally well received, particularly Madness, and they have a nearly sold out tour. That doesn't sound like a band that needs to start a period of intensive navel gazing, quite yet.

And anyway I believe that the core of Muse is in Matt's writing, and what it is about his writing that epitomises Muse, is not going to be discovered or accurately reproduced by looking for it. Not by the band themselves anyway. We can try and look for it! :LOL:

It would hardly make sense to blame Goldie Hawn for anything, obviously that is a barely-veiled reference to Kate Hudson.

Actually I think we should capture Matt, put him in a glass cabinet away from all outside influences and new experiences so we can keep him pure and Musey. We should have done that after OoS of course.

Okay. Let's be 100% honest with ourselves here.

Would anyone actually recognize Madness as being written and performed by Muse if you didn't know beforehand it was them?

Personally, if I didn't already know it was Muse, I would most definitely think it was U2. What puts it over-the-top "Bono" is the vocal doubled, separated by an octave toward the ending. THAT is signature Bono. Also, the way Matt is phrasing it..... In many of the lines, he starts at a low pitch, and quickly raises the note higher to the note the musical phrase starts on. It's difficult to explain in written context, as I'm not a trained musician. But I can certainly hear it. The "soulful" oooohs & ahhhs are not typical Matt either.

I don't think it's a BAD song. It's just NOT MUSE. It makes me question.... What IS Muse, anyway? It seems that they are extremely adept at displaying their influences. Especially the ones they've recently toured with. ;) They're having trouble hiding their schizophrenia. I'm hoping they take a good long break after this tour and give themselves some time to forget about music........ and then rediscover it AND themselves.

In other words...you don't want any more experimentation you just want them to take a break and come back with a load of songs like PIB, SS and CE?

The thing is...they are discovering music all the time and it influences them to create new/different sounds which can only be a good thing.

I would much rather them keep on producing a new and varied sound that just churn out standard 3 peice music (no matter how good it sounds)

Actually I think we should capture Matt, put him in a glass cabinet away from all outside influences and new experiences so we can keep him pure and Musey. We should have done that after OoS of course.

Just what Matt Bellamy needs: isolation to further his paranoia and end-of-the-world fears. :awesome:

If it's glass he might see out and get influenced by something. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with taking that risk.

If it's glass he might see out and get influenced by something. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with taking that risk.

Yes I thought about that afterwards, so maybe a dark box would be better. But then we'd get lots of songs about feeling trapped and nothingness.

Archived