What do you think of Madness  

800 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Madness

• It's freaking amazing!
    • Pretty good. Decent pop song.
    • Tolerable, but me-me-me-meh.
    • I feel ill. Make it go away.

Okay. Let's be 100% honest with ourselves here.

Would anyone actually recognize Madness as being written and performed by Muse if you didn't know beforehand it was them?

Personally, if I didn't already know it was Muse, I would most definitely think it was U2. What puts it over-the-top "Bono" is the vocal doubled, separated by an octave toward the ending. THAT is signature Bono. Also, the way Matt is phrasing it..... In many of the lines, he starts at a low pitch, and quickly raises the note higher to the note the musical phrase starts on. It's difficult to explain in written context, as I'm not a trained musician. But I can certainly hear it. The "soulful" oooohs & ahhhs are not typical Matt either.

I don't think it's a BAD song. It's just NOT MUSE. It makes me question.... What IS Muse, anyway? It seems that they are extremely adept at displaying their influences. Especially the ones they've recently toured with. ;) They're having trouble hiding their schizophrenia. I'm hoping they take a good long break after this tour and give themselves some time to forget about music........ and then rediscover it AND themselves.

Okay. Let's be 100% honest with ourselves here.

Would anyone actually recognize Madness as being written and performed by Muse if you didn't know beforehand it was them?

Couldn't that be said about tons of Muse songs? That's why around every album release the fanbase goes ape shit. It probably happened to fans in 2001. They really liked Showbiz and OoS came out and they didn't understand how a band can change like that.

No there is actually xylophone. Put on headphones, play it loudly. At approximately: 1:02 1:12 . I mean, it sounds like it to me, could be part of synth xD

There is something eerie going on in the background but I don't think it's a xylophone. I hadn't noticed that before.

I hear it as well.

Wasn't Bellamy keen on breaking out the Vibraphone? Not entirely sure what that is though...

I don't remember hearing about that. I think if wanted to bring it out though he wouldn't make it so buried in the mix. Probably another song.

I don't remember hearing about that. I think if wanted to bring it out though he wouldn't make it so buried in the mix. Probably another song.

http://www.digitalspy.ca/music/news/a320650/matt-bellamy-plays-music-to-hudson-unborn-baby.html

"Bellamy told The Mirror: "I'm already getting the vibraphone out and the Wurlitzer - these nice sort of twinkling high nice sort of mellow sounds that makes the baby kick and stuff. So I've got a feeling I'll incorporate those sounds into the next album a little bit." "

No there is actually xylophone. Put on headphones, play it loudly. At approximately: 1:02 1:12 . I mean, it sounds like it to me, could be part of synth xD

Does hearing a faint, possible xylophone do something to "make or break" the SONG?

Geez ..... who gives a flying fruitbat.

Does hearing a faint, possible xylophone do something to "make or break" the SONG?

Can I help you pull the rod out of your arse? When did I ever, ever specify it was a problem or opinion changing factor? I posted it because it was something cool I picked up when listening.

Can I help you pull the rod out of your arse? When did I ever, ever specify it was a problem or opinion changing factor? I posted it because it was something cool I picked up when listening.

No rod up MY arse. :LOL: Seems to me you're the one taking offense at my pointing out that you noticed it. ;) Besides, picking apart a song that much is...... analyzing it and not experiencing it.

Who said it did? It's a nice detail on the song's production. I remember noticing Matt sings the chorus to Showbiz in the background during the big falsetto ending. Didn't change my opinion of the song, just a cool thing to find out.

Follow Me is completely electronic.

It could just be a more background part.

Archived