How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?  

800 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?

• Poor - What is this shite?
    • Fair - Well, it's tolerable, but I'll skip it a lot.
    • Good - Decent song, some good parts.
    • Very good - Mostly enjoyable, some really great moments, but not perfect.
    • Excellent - Holy crap, I love it. I had to change my pants.

Super Mega Fucking Cute.

Btw, from 3:55 (counting the prelude) onwards the song has such a powerful sound. :yesey:

:awesome:

What if I said neither

And that this is really off topic and you're gonna get b& again

Well then I would say Survival is a song worthy of discussion. We should continue to discuss it.

Do you think it's possible Chris will play the piano intro part? No bass and the piano/guitar transition is immediate (a new born style transition wouldn't really work).

Do you think it's possible Chris will play the piano intro part? No bass and the piano/guitar transition is immediate (a new born style transition wouldn't really work).

I've actually been wondering how they'll pull that off live. Because once the drums kick in there is a bassline but the piano keeps going. I suppose they could get Morgan to do it since that never seems to stop them, or since the guitar doesn't exactly come in before the breakdown Matt could just quickly get the guitar and start the solo (but at the same time that actually sounds like work)

I've actually been wondering how they'll pull that off live. Because once the drums kick in there is a bassline but the piano keeps going. I suppose they could get Morgan to do it since that never seems to stop them, or since the guitar doesn't exactly come in before the breakdown Matt could just quickly get the guitar and start the solo (but at the same time that actually sounds like work)

Judging by New Born on the tour that shall not be named, that seems to be the case. It's just so much effort to stand up from a piano stool and pick up a guitar :(

Best, (Race)

You got to be the best. (Life's a race)

The lyrics are interchangeable with Survival's.

I like that Survival doesn't follow the standard 'intro - verse - verse - chorus - verse - chorus - solo - chorus' that many (many many) Muse songs follow.

First of all - I like Butterflies and Hurricanes and it's lyrics, because they fit in and they are not creepy, sure, not the best poem ever but they have a message that speaks to me...Survival doesn't and it's kind of ripping of B. and H. and that's bad...

Second - yeah that's a Muse songwriting pattern but it's still better and more understandable than mine ---- (a glipse of chorus - usually a half chorus or something like that) - (Riff) - (verse) - (full chorus) and then it's usually quite normal...But starting with a chorus is really funny - my bandmates always say (adressing themselves) - our verse (that means my chorus :D ) and our chorus (meaning my verse) - because we start songs with chorus and they don't care about lyrics that much... :rolleyes: ...

But you can't be much creative in verse-chorus-bridge-riff placement, it's not a classical music where you can do whatever you want - you need your music to be accesible and understandable - but I also like that Stairway to Heaven - Survival build up but still - Survival has verse - chorus - sorta riff - verse - chorus - riff - ending thingy, it's just getting bigger but that doesn't make it much different...KoC has a nice and innovative structure...as well as CE...

Judging by New Born on the tour that shall not be named, that seems to be the case. It's just so much effort to stand up from a piano stool and pick up a guitar :(

They could do it like in NSC at Wembley 2010 - the piano was on wheels and Matt was standing so he could grab his guitar more quickly...

They could do it like in NSC at Wembley 2010 - the piano was on wheels and Matt was standing so he could grab his guitar more quickly...

The guitar grab is a lot more instant though. He had 2 lines of the song to get the guitar ready for NSC and could still spare a few seconds having the piano roll away, which can't be done for Survival. He could just not play the piano once the drums and bass come in but I don't think that will pull off as well as NSC.

The guitar grab is a lot more instant though. He had 2 lines of the song to get the guitar ready for NSC and could still spare a few seconds having the piano roll away, which can't be done for Survival. He could just not play the piano once the drums and bass come in but I don't think that will pull off as well as NSC.

He could have the guitar on him. All he would have to do is stand up and move the strap around.

He could have the guitar on him. All he would have to do is stand up and move the strap around.

But again it would have to be a very quick move unlike New Born or NSC where he gets a few seconds.

And like I said before, that actually takes a bit of effort.

I love KoC's lyrics. I don't think simple = bad in all cases.

In fact I've only had a problem with lyrics on two Muse songs, NSC and Survival.

Edit: Ok I take that back, add Sober and Overdue to the list.

It's happening soon, it's happening soon, its scent has been blowing in my direcshoon. :chuckle:

Since I knew that Survival was for the Olympics and then had to be heard by such a huge amount of people, I wasn't expecting great lyrics. So I'm not disappointed.

For all of the play it'll be receiving and the occasion it represents, I think it makes perfect sense to have simple lyrics that're easy to remember.

Haven't read the latest replies…just want to say that listening to Survival while in that in between falling asleep state makes the song rather terrifying somehow. Like the lyrics are so laser-focused on winning, and the beat is unrelenting, and the choir keeps going and it's so steady it's like there's something powerful coming straight at you and you can't do anything to stop it until it explodes in your face.

I mean, I was just barely conscious at the time, but still.

Haven't read the latest replies…just want to say that listening to Survival while in that in between falling asleep state makes the song rather terrifying somehow. Like the lyrics are so laser-focused on winning, and the beat is unrelenting, and the choir keeps going and it's so steady it's like there's something powerful coming straight at you and you can't do anything to stop it until it explodes in your face.

I mean, I was just barely conscious at the time, but still.

That's the kind of thing I like to do with The Gallery, because it's ominous when you're half asleep.

I'll have to try that though. :happy:

I don't think it'd really be a staple live though, to be honest.

It's the main Olympics single, it will get huge radio and tv play, and we know Muse usually play big hits :chuckle: and this is a big hit. So imho it will be a staple (we're lucky it will probably be an insane beast live)

For all of the play it'll be receiving and the occasion it represents, I think it makes perfect sense to have simple lyrics that're easy to remember.

I'm trying not to overplay Survival now. I have a feeling we'll all be sick of hearing it on TV soon enough. :chuckle:

I'm trying not to overplay Survival now. I have a feeling we'll all be sick of hearing it on TV soon enough. :chuckle:

Have I missed something or have we swapped all our mods for Spaniards? :p

OuiFM interview was meant to be today - any word? I cba to check twitter cos I tend to forget why I went on there in the first place and just look at millions of different posts :rolleyes: lol..

Have I missed something or have we swapped all our mods for Spaniards? :p

OuiFM interview was meant to be today - any word? I cba to check twitter cos I tend to forget why I went on there in the first place and just look at millions of different posts :rolleyes: lol..

I heard they won't be airing it today after all, due to the fact that they signed the same NDA as everyone else--no interviews released until August 1st. Sucks.

Archived