How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?  

800 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?

• Poor - What is this shite?
    • Fair - Well, it's tolerable, but I'll skip it a lot.
    • Good - Decent song, some good parts.
    • Very good - Mostly enjoyable, some really great moments, but not perfect.
    • Excellent - Holy crap, I love it. I had to change my pants.

So disappointed in many levels, in a way, on hindsight, it's always been like this. If this is the only thing about the Olympics, I wasted lot of time watching & following it. Survival is a musical awful mess and lyrically, one of the most shallow take of the Olympics. Ironically, am taking a break with Olympics and Muse (not going to buy or watch anything related with them the next few years.)

Sorry, just my opinion, Cheers!

... Being a (life)long-time Muse and the Olympics fan, Survival is a wake-up call (it's time to avoid them like plagues), instead of me obsessively glued back to the TV watching them. Fyi, I've been avoiding TV for years now - I thought with Olympics being held in London and Muse major participations/involvement on it ... Oh well, am not going to waste more time.

Thank you! People who think that's a clever line seriously make me doubt that the human race has a good future to look forward to.

It's not about being "clever", it's just a reminder of what life is. Carpe diem in other words, basically. Certainly not Matt's worst lyrics, it's a sing-along-punchy line in a sing-along-punchy song. People hate on the most random things, I swear.

It's not about being "clever", it's just a reminder of what life is. Carpe diem in other words, basically. Certainly not Matt's worst lyrics, it's a sing-along-punchy line in a sing-along-punchy song. People hate on the most random things, I swear.

It's carpe diem for stupid people.

And I don't hate on the lyrics, I hate on people who think it's good lyrics.

You claim people who say "don't waste your time/or time will waste you" and "yolo" instead of "carpe diem" are stupid, or more specifically you say it is what dumb people say instead of "carpe diem". I try to inquire how exatcly that works considering there is nothing to really "get" about carpe diem either, as it's incredibly well-known and oft-quoted saying in itself, asking if you mean then that just by mere usage you label the users as stupid. Apparently this is not the case, so I'm asking how and why saying the alternatives for carpe diem make one stupid? Preferably without personal attacks, which are more a reflection on you than me, really.

Well first off to be slightly on topic, the reason why I think that people who praise the KoC line as good and clever are stupid is exactly what you just explained. It's a reworked version of one of the most used sayings ever, so that it would somehow be above average to copy it is beyond me. And if you just think it's a sing-along-punchy line in a sing-along-punchy song, then my statement obviously isn't aimed at you.

And the second part is quite simple. I'm not saying there's anything complicated behind carpe diem that means stupid people can't understand it. But if you would have been more familiar with the usage of yolo, you would realise that it's usually nothing more than an excuse to do stupid things.

I think it's more a matter of taste than intelligence. Although a more well read person is likely to have acquired "carpe diem" along with a larger cache of knowledge than someone who has acquired "yolo" from social media due to the nature of the phrases, possibly.

Whole human culture exists on retelling and saying the same things over and over again. Or writing the same songs over and over again. There are thing that seem to trascend time (from the human perspective), such as the concept of living your life to the fullest. I still don't know how this particular line is so below the average of re-saying the ancient concept that it deserves contempt. While I think it's a punchy sing-along line, I also think it's a nifty way of saying it. I actually had it as my sig before. My current sig is actually also another alternative of saying the same concept- basically because it is something that I personally need to remind myself often, to get into srs bsns territory. I'm just bemused at the accusation that stating something simple, while done in a punny way, is somehow a sign of an inferior mind.

Oh and I am familiar with the yolo trend.

Like I said, my problem isn't with the line. If it was, I wouldn't be able to listen to Muse since most of their lyrics are of that standard.

I just don't get people who think it's a clever line. So no, stating something simple is in no way a sign of an inferior mind, and I never said it was.

So disappointed in many levels, in a way, on hindsight, it's always been like this. If this is the only thing about the Olympics, I wasted lot of time watching & following it. Survival is a musical awful mess and lyrically, one of the most shallow take of the Olympics. Ironically, am taking a break with Olympics and Muse (not going to buy or watch anything related with them the next few years.)

Sorry, just my opinion, Cheers!

lol

Archived