Dear Niall

Neil.

No, it's kept hidden to stop people exploiting it knowing how much they can get away with safely and it's always been that way.

We can only act on things that get reported, so if we miss something, it just means we haven't seen it. We don't watching all the threads, so if you see something going on, please report it. Or don't do it yourself..if you're complaining that we let you personally get away with too much!

That seems odd but I'm sure you have a reason (like trying to avoid people exploiting it). Obviously you aren't looking at every thread but a 6th album discussion thread should be looked at considering it will be the main attraction to the site in the upcoming months, as you yourself have said. I find it hard to believe that none of the mods (not sure how many there are) will venture in there once a day just to see how it goes. It would take 5 minutes of their time.

What the heck is the point of a Love Boat thread for album #6? It'd just be exactly the same as the one in S&R (where it is, at least, relevant) but would then be much harder to find! :erm:.

Also many people don't go into the banter section of the board and it would be very difficult to locate an album thread in a section called "Love Boat".

We can only act on things that get reported, so if we miss something, it just means we haven't seen it. We don't watching all the threads, so if you see something going on, please report it. Or don't do it yourself..if you're complaining that we let you personally get away with too much!

Warnings are given out more than infractions because they usually work. We'll always warn first and then infract if the user breaks the same rules a second time. And usually if the warning was given a long time ago we won't just jump to infractions. I personally prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt. Sometimes we'll give an in thread warning first if it's a lot of people.

But your comments are noted, feedback is always useful.

I've always thought that mods would be around to read threads and keep an eye on the threads with a lot of traffic. But that might just be me and pretty much every forum I've ever been on. If time is an issue then maybe you should consider bringing in another mod or two?

Oh no, don't get me wrong, I'm not really complaining that I haven't been caught. I quite like arguing on this board because like I said, I can get away with almost anything. But that's the problem. The warnings/infractions can barely even be considered warnings. They're empty threats. And on the rare occasions I've seen the mods ban someone, it's been wrong in the completely opposite direction. I've seen bans given to people who really shouldn't have been banned, and in some instances, the wrong people were banned while the source of the situation didn't even get an infraction, as far as I know. A system like that is very hard to take even a little bit seriously.

What the heck is the point of a Love Boat thread for album #6? It'd just be exactly the same as the one in S&R (where it is, at least, relevant) but would then be much harder to find! :erm:.

I just think this is silly overmodding of a very small/insignificant issue. Surely it's harder to mod 6/7 different threads which tangentially involve album #6 discussion when it could all be contained in one (as it was until it was locked)?

/two-cents. I'm not trying to put the boot in on purpose, it just seems quite illogical :).

I mean more an LB thread for MMers in general, where it wouldn't matter what was discussed.

Or maybe just a sticky thread that says "New Album News" in S&R. Locked. With one post saying "there is none".

Or maybe just a sticky thread that says "New Album News" in S&R. Locked. With one post saying "there is none".

But to separate it into 'news' and 'discussion' seems pointless to me as, at this stage, it's kind of one and the same.

Tucking a sanctioned 'Album #6 MM Discussion Thread' away in LB wouldn't do anything to solve the problem.

An album #6 sticky is a good idea with all the salient points so far and a link to Musewiki too but there needs to be somewhere in S&R to discuss it, that's the whole point of that section of the board (or so I thought?).

Tbh, I still think the best way forward would be to have a more heavily moderated Album #6 thread.

But to separate it into 'news' and 'discussion' seems pointless to me as, at this stage, it's kind of one and the same.

Tucking a sanctioned 'Album #6 MM Discussion Thread' away in LB wouldn't do anything to solve the problem.

An album #6 sticky is a good idea with all the salient points so far and a link to Musewiki too but there needs to be somewhere in S&R to discuss it, that's the whole point of that section of the board (or so I thought?).

Tbh, I still think the best way forward would be to have a more heavily moderated Album #6 thread.

The mods haven't reached a consensus yet, but I think what you propose is the best solution. I had thought a love boat would suffice, but considering a lot of people aren't familiar with the non-muse section of the board, I guess an unmoderated general thread in MM makes sense. At the same time, we need to make sure the album thread is heavily moderated.

Why not just have a thread in OMT called 'General Muse Discussion Thread' then?

I was thinking this actually. Some place in MM to contain the less serious speculations. Because the OT is definitely not stopping and locking threads just relocates it to separate parts of the board. It's either this or Dee's suggestions of actually stepping up moderation which is completely fine also.

I'm not clear that everyone wants the same things, there's a distinction with what you want with regards to on and off topic like, if you want a thread that can go off topic then it has to be in the off topic part of the board in Banter or LB. If it's a thread that stays on the topic of Muse then it can go in OMT...go ahead and make one now if you want though. As Furygirl says we need to discuss it together first though before we decide on what to do with the 6th album thread.

I think a General Muse Thread would be good. I remember suggesting it in that survey we did awhile ago. I've noticed a lot of the OTness in the album thread relates to people just discussing the band's music in general. Sometimes it's hard to discuss what you want to discuss within the thread titles we already have and it's not worth opening a new thread for.

I don't think the album thread needs to be too strictly moderated, a little bit of discussion is good but obviously if it goes completely OT, get out the banhammer.

I very rarely post on here, but like to pop into the sixth album discussion thread every now and again. I like hearing other peoples thoughts on what the new album will be like. I just thought I would log on to say that i'm pretty sick of the way the 'mods' on this site won't allow these discussions to continue. Yeah people are going off topic. Who cares? This is a website. Stop taking it so seriously. Once the new album is out, are you guys going to keep locking the thread when someone starts talking about Matt's new hair again? When will it end guys? I hope you don't have to lock this thread because I brought up something about a different thread. If so, I'm sorry. *Awaits snidey remarks/generic memes from forum elitists*

Nope, I agree with you for the most part, although perhaps not quite so vociferously ;).

The only reason I come here these days, really, is for news and to have a quick skim over Other Bands - but since the Album #6 thread has been closed, I find myself coming here less and less :(.

Fact is, the 6th album thread was only really opened to discuss solid news, not a fuckload of rumours and tweets off of obscure twitter accounts. Plus it always went stupidly off topic, and naturally that was because there was, funnily enough, nothing to talk about :LOL:

Fact is, the 6th album thread was only really opened to discuss solid news, not a fuckload of rumours and tweets off of obscure twitter accounts. Plus it always went stupidly off topic, and naturally that was because there was, funnily enough, nothing to talk about :LOL:

Vicious circle, eh?

Well there was absolutely no information yet people were discussing it pretty much right after the Resistance was released. It was speculation based on rumours. Which is what I would assume a 6th album discussion is about. Enough to fill up 10 000 + posts and warrant a new thread.

/justsaying

Actually the 6th album thread reached 10'000 posts because it was accidentally merged with the original 'Unpopular Opinions Thread'.

No, it was opened to speculate about the next album including rumours. We had one for the Resistance too. And there is enough news to warrant a thread imo.

This is certainly the first album cycle since I've been here for where there is (now) nowhere to discuss the band's forthcoming album.

Doesn't that strike you as a little weird given it's Muse's official messageboard?

Archived