Dear Niall

Neil.

Could you please make 6610_FriJul124357am_3723_FriJul123932am_951_FriJul120558am_batman.gifa proper smilie please? We have a :joker: one so surely the logical step is to have a Batman one? I think the code :batsome: would be good. And it's creator is ok with it being used.

Indeed, I am ok with it :yesey:

I'd prefer batgasm

:batgasm: is good, :batsome: not that much. :batawesomeman:? :LOL:

Dear Niall, (via relevant, non conspiracy based question)

As you know, I'm in the field of architecture. Recently, as part of my ongoing thesis, I've been looking at this type of architecture called Parametric Architecture. I won't get into what it's about, cos it can be tricky to explain, and it's not really relevant to my question. Anyway, within parametric architecture, patterns, series and other sequences play a big role. A huge amount of parametrically designed buildings feature things like fibonacci series, voronoi patterns and so on. Basically, patterns which occur in nature. Whilst looking about for patterns today, a buddy of mine, doing his Masters in something to do with chemistry was telling me about some patterns and series that commonly come up in chemistry. This got me thinking, if Niall is doing something to do with astrophysics, I wonder does he come across any cool interesting patterns?

So in conclusion, other than the obvious ones like fibonacci, golden ratio, voronoi, do you know of any other really great patterns or sequences that come up in science, preferably ones that can be visually represented?

Insert sentiment here,

Neil

As you know, I'm in the field of architecture. Recently, as part of my ongoing thesis, I've been looking at this type of architecture called Parametric Architecture. I won't get into what it's about, cos it can be tricky to explain, and it's not really relevant to my question. Anyway, within parametric architecture, patterns, series and other sequences play a big role. A huge amount of parametrically designed buildings feature things like fibonacci series, voronoi patterns and so on. Basically, patterns which occur in nature. Whilst looking about for patterns today, a buddy of mine, doing his Masters in something to do with chemistry was telling me about some patterns and series that commonly come up in chemistry. This got me thinking, if Niall is doing something to do with astrophysics, I wonder does he come across any cool interesting patterns?

So in conclusion, other than the obvious ones like fibonacci, golden ratio, voronoi, do you know of any other really great patterns or sequences that come up in science, preferably ones that can be visually represented?

Insert sentiment here,

Neil

Exploding_head.gif

Insert sentiment here,

Neil

Can't say I know of any other than the mathematical ones you describe. The patterns in astronomy are all natural, they obey laws but aren't really aesthetically pleasing. You get all sorts of patterns that turn up. Sunspot sizes are described by a log normal distribution and decay following a quadratic law, but I don't think that would have any use from an aesthetic perspective. The only real patterns I come across are light curves for variable stars...they're not very interesting though, they can all be described as superpositions of waves. There's a few novel things like the hexagon on saturn but hexagons aren't exactly anything fancy.

I think biology is probably the best place to look as these patterns come about as a result of nature using chemistry to build structures. But space isn't very patterny.

Niall,

Sadly, I have completely forgotten what I wanted to tell you. I'll give you a moment to experience a lifetime of heartbreak and sadness in 10 seconds. Go.

Are you good? Ah, I see you need more time. ...

Ok.

The shame that I have brought upon, the board, my family, doctors, and myself is unbearable. I can only hope that you can forgive me.

I do believe the toughest task will be forgiving myself. However, I'm sure after a few years I will be able to cope with the pain. Maybe some day I will be able to truly forgive myself but right now it doesn't seem possible.

From the bottom of heart,

I'm sorry.

James.

Niall,

Sadly, I have completely forgotten what I wanted to tell you. I'll give you a moment to experience a lifetime of heartbreak and sadness in 10 seconds. Go.

Ok.

The shame that I have brought upon, the board, my family, doctors, and myself is unbearable. I can only hope that you can forgive me.

I do believe the toughest task will be forgiving myself. However, I'm sure after a few years I will be able to cope with the pain. Maybe some day I will be able to truly forgive myself but right now it doesn't seem possible.

I'm sorry.

James.

:wtf:

Niall,

Ok.

I'm sorry.

James.

What if he bans you for off-topic posting

:awesome:

Can't say I know of any other than the mathematical ones you describe. The patterns in astronomy are all natural, they obey laws but aren't really aesthetically pleasing. You get all sorts of patterns that turn up. Sunspot sizes are described by a log normal distribution and decay following a quadratic law, but I don't think that would have any use from an aesthetic perspective. The only real patterns I come across are light curves for variable stars...they're not very interesting though, they can all be described as superpositions of waves. There's a few novel things like the hexagon on saturn but hexagons aren't exactly anything fancy.

I think biology is probably the best place to look as these patterns come about as a result of nature using chemistry to build structures. But space isn't very patterny.

Yeah I was afraid of that. See, biomimicry is something you see in architecture a lot, particularly when it comes to patterns, but, it's not an easy thing to program, and it's a really broad topic.

Also, are these hexagons fancy enough for ya? :p

eden-project.jpg

I...er, that's fine?

Enjoy this complementary copy of my new paper that is due for publication in the next edition of the Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society as a token of my forgiveness.

If you find a typo I do not want to know.

Thank you. Means a lot to me. I won't let you down again. I promise.

I read a part of what posted. Understood nothing but I do believe you are an astrophysicist. Correct? Anyways, even if you aren't just pretend you are for the rest of what I'm going to write. At your next astrophysicist convention (which I have heard can be a little crazy (ie. strippers and cocaine) so be careful) you should try your best to locate Brian May, who if you don't know has a PhD in astrophysics. Once you find him, strike up a conversation and before you know it you will be able to convince him to feature on the next Muse album. It would be pretty awesome. Matt could stay on the piano whilst Brian is on ... I think you get the photo.

I do believe that you make you a hero to the Muse community, as well as to the world. Which I think is every astrophysicists dream.

Yeah I was afraid of that. See, biomimicry is something you see in architecture a lot, particularly when it comes to patterns, but, it's not an easy thing to program, and it's a really broad topic.

Also, are these hexagons fancy enough for ya? :p

eden-project.jpg

Those hexagons are quite fancy :fancy:

Thank you. Means a lot to me. I won't let you down again. I promise.

I read a part of what posted. Understood nothing but I do believe you are an astrophysicist. Correct? Anyways, even if you aren't just pretend you are for the rest of what I'm going to write. At your next astrophysicist convention (which I have heard can be a little crazy (ie. strippers and cocaine) so be careful) you should try your best to locate Brian May, who if you don't know has a PhD in astrophysics. Once you find him, strike up a conversation and before you know it you will be able to convince him to feature on the next Muse album. It would be pretty awesome. Matt could stay on the piano whilst Brian is on ... I think you get the photo.

I do believe that you make you a hero to the Muse community, as well as to the world. Which I think is every astrophysicists dream.

I don't think I'll being seeing Brian May. He's a crap astronomer anyway. Gave it up to be in some dodgy band.

Why the hewllz do I have to click 'delete post' in three different ways to delete a post?

Psh.

I don't know, I didn't write vbulletin itself :(

Those hexagons are quite fancy :fancy:

I don't think I'll being seeing Brian May. He's a crap astronomer anyway. Gave it up to be in some dodgy band.

I don't know, I didn't write vbulletin itself :(

Well, that's what you said about The 2nd Law, and I still don't trust you on that one.

Right, well, it may be inspired by physics and be really gay (I mean, the artwork is a rainbow brain and the first two singles have Queen, George Michael and Glee influences, and I'm pretty sure the grindr logo is the Unsustainable robot...) but I insist it wasn't me.

I do not wish for this album to tarnish my scientific reputation. :phu:

But then he went back and got his PhD. Now he is doing something about badgers ... I don't know but he won't shut the fuck up about it.

Was the duration of Alex's ban determined by the actual offence? A month seems a bit long, but then I guess he did only just come back before doing whatever again

I'm still discussing this matter with the other mods, it's not quite resolved yet, but it's not really a matter for public discussion. But he had accumulated a enough infractions to warrant a ban.

But then he went back and got his PhD. Now he is doing something about badgers ... I don't know but he won't shut the fuck up about it.

I think all rich, old, eccentric people in England eventually tend towards badgers.

1. Make an account.

2. Try to take philosophical approach to the profound idiocy of others.

3. Click edit at the top of any article or enable double click to edit in preferences.

Thank you!

There has been this one thing irking me about musewiki for a while. It's the section where Matt is called a man.

Archived