Dear Niall

Neil.

Yeah the twitter threads need moderating, and Dore is right, not a reason to open the 6th album thread.

We know a bunch of song titles and nothing about them, and we know they've finished recording, and we know some instrumentation, that is all we know, and all of those things have already been discussed to death in a thread that always turns spammy.

If we open it it will go off topic, and then we'll have to start infracting all the time. All that'll do is piss people off in the name of maintain idle speculation based on some extremely limited facts about the album. We'll reopen it when an announcement is made.

Can there not be a general discussion thread on the sixth album where people can talk about what they hope is on it/isn't on it, speculate etc. and keep official sixth album news in the 'News' section so people don't have to wade through pages of off-topic to find the news?

Can there not be a general discussion thread on the sixth album where people can talk about what they hope is on it/isn't on it, speculate etc. and keep official sixth album news in the 'News' section so people don't have to wade through pages of off-topic to find the news?

I suggested this a few pages back and no one did anything about it :/

Even if people are joking about the 6th album, it still counts as discussing it.

Frankly, it's hilarious that there's no thread for Muse's new album on Muse's messageboard. I joined this board to discuss Muse and it would be easier to discuss any other band's new album here. It's unfair on those of us who want to discuss the album. Just ban people who spam too much and ignore mod's orders. It's not that hard.

Even if people are joking about the 6th album, it still counts as discussing it.

Frankly, it's hilarious that there's no thread for Muse's new album on Muse's messageboard. I joined this board to discuss Muse and it would be easier to discuss any other band's new album here. It's unfair on those of us who want to discuss the album. Just ban people who spam too much and ignore mod's orders. It's not that hard.

We're already doing one. :p

Just ban people who spam too much and ignore mod's orders. It's not that hard.

The mods gave out warnings/empty threats like five or six times without anything actually happening besides an infraction here and there. It's hard to take that seriously.

The mods gave out warnings/empty threats like five or six times without anything actually happening besides an infraction here and there. It's hard to take that seriously.

When people pointed that out (after yet another threat) they only handed out warnings. How does the warning/infraction system work?

If you want a topic where you're free to talk about the album and go off topic as you like make a thread in love boat. We'll consider opening the thread again and if we come to a consensus we'll open it, but if we do it'll be with strict moderation as per requests.

I pointed it out and got an infraction for it.

And also, it doesn't.

Not according to the infraction records as I can see. Plenty of people were warned and then infracted for going off topic after multiple in-thread warnings, and you did receive a warning for doing this along with all the others, but nothing else.

Got to agree with a-museing.

Not having an open sixth album thread on Muse's own messageboard is ridiculous.

Niall- if people go OT, wield the banhammer. Simple as. There have been so many warnings, it would be wholly justified. At present, we have a ridiculous situation when people can chat endless amounts of inane nonsense across most areas of the board yet we can't discuss a topic which is (and will continue to be) one of the main draws for members new and old over the coming months.

I appreciate Songs & Releases is your patch but why not assign another couple of mods to that section while interest is at its height to police the spam/OT stuff?

If I was new to the board, I would be baffled why there was no sixth album discussion when we know full well it's only 3-4 months away.

Not according to the infraction records as I can see. Plenty of people were warned and then infracted for going off topic after multiple in-thread warnings, and you did receive a warning for doing this along with all the others, but nothing else.

Here's your problem. Way too lenient, with too many empty threats and sometimes illogical warnings and infractions being handed out. Not you specifically, but the mod team in general.

Niall- if people go OT, wield the banhammer. Simple as. There have been so many warnings, it would be wholly justified. At present, we have a ridiculous situation when people can chat endless amounts of inane nonsense across most areas of the board yet we can't discuss a topic which is (and will continue to be) one of the main draws for members new and old over the coming months.

Topics get derailed because the warnings can't be taken seriously imho.

The moderating decisions regarding that thread were made with most of the staff after we had all discussed it.

We saw it that since most of the activity was triggered by tweets the twitter thread would suffice for that and any separate articles would go in MitM, any OT belonged in Banter of LB, and idle speculation based on nothing more than song names and a few vague off-twitter comments were no enough to sustain a thread which has resulted in tens of warnings and infractions because of spam. But if reopening with heavy moderation is indeed the popular request we'll look into it.

I can understand the decision, don't get me wrong, doesn't necessarily mean I think it was the right one :LOL:.

I think the spam/OT is a necessary evil at this stage of the album cycle - it's only going to get worse as well get nearer to the release date (not to mention the inevitable post-album release shitstorm you know as well as I do ;)).

Here's your problem. Way too lenient, with too many empty threats and sometimes illogical warnings and infractions being handed out. Not you specifically, but the mod team in general.

I don't think the threats were empty as we did issue warnings and infractions and gave plenty of warnings that the thread would be locked if people went OT, especially after we locked and then reopened it.

I agree we took a while to act of spam, but only because we don't always check all the threads all the time, and it took a long time for it to be reported. When we do reopen it, be it sooner or later, we'll be more proactive with monitoring it.

I didn't have time to read much of the sixth album thread, so don't know what this is about, but I do agree with those who say there should be a sixth album thread now.

It would be good to have a place where fans can keep themselves updated of any titbits of news, rumours or speculation that is banded about regarding the album.

Isn't the first single due only next month? :happy:

I don't think the threats were empty as we did issue warnings and infractions and gave plenty of warnings that the thread would be locked if people went OT, especially after we locked and then reopened it.

I agree we took a while to act of spam, but only because we don't always check all the threads all the time, and it took a long time for it to be reported. When we do reopen it, be it sooner or later, we'll be more proactive with monitoring it.

Except the warnings/infractions mean nothing. During my three years as a registered member on this board, I've received three infractions. Only one of those actually gave me any points, despite two of them being "Disobeying staff requests". The one that I got points for was given by Olly, so that was the old mod team.

That's not a coincidence imho. Nearly every time someone gets infracted now it's a yellow card and 0 points. So what does that mean? Doesn't mean anything. No one cares. "Oh no, I got NO points added to my infraction list. I'd better behave!".

I find it shocking that I, and I'm speaking purely on my own behalf here, have managed to completely ignore mod warnings on MANY occasions. The two infractions I got for disobeying a mod were rare occasions. I derail threads all the time. I constantly participate in discussions that have nothing to do with the actual topic. Even now as I'm writing this post. And you know why? Because I know that I can get away with it. And I would imagine that I'm not the only one who's noticed that you can get away with that sort of thing, which is why topics get derailed all the time.

They are empty in reality though because there is never any consequence. Did a single person get banned for spamming/OT'ing in the sixth album thread? I can't think of any.

All those are from the Twitter thread. And that was just one and a half page. The thread has absolutely nothing to do with Twitter anymore. The 6th album thread might as well be opened up. I realize you don't have time to infract everyone (nor should you have to) but the amount of off-topicness caused by closing the 6th album thread far outweighs the off-topic that was in that thread. It would take maybe 5 minutes to edit the first post of the thread. If you don't want to use rumours that's fine but what you can do is separate facts and rumours in the first posts. Make it the distinction clear.

Something like this: http://www.musewiki.org/Fourth_album_theory

Obviously not as long/complicated (due to your lack of time) but something similar to just mention what we know for certain and what rumours we have (that are credible).

Mind you, looking at those examples of album speculations on the twitter thread you have posted, it could scare off any new Muse fans who are actually sane! ;):p

I agree with you wholeheartedly.

If you want a topic where you're free to talk about the album and go off topic as you like make a thread in love boat. We'll consider opening the thread again and if we come to a consensus we'll open it, but if we do it'll be with strict moderation as per requests.

I think a group Love Boat for this type of discussion is a great idea and should solve the problem. :) A link to it can be listed in the first and last post of the album thread. I anticipate that the main thread in S&R will be opened soon. Ha ha, there's that word again.

Topics get derailed because the warnings can't be taken seriously imho.

Perhaps you're right. In the future, I'm going to make sure I'm more conscientious about infracting offenders.

They are empty in reality though because there is never any consequence. Did a single person get banned for spamming/OT'ing in the sixth album thread? I can't think of any.

None, a few narrowly got away with it. I didn't deal any of them infractions so I'm not the most knowledgeable on the specifics.

Not after your betrayal.

Also how does the point system work? How many points does what? Is there anywhere where this is written?

No, it's kept hidden to stop people exploiting it knowing how much they can get away with safely and it's always been that way.

Except the warnings/infractions mean nothing. During my three years as a registered member on this board, I've received three infractions. Only one of those actually gave me any points, despite two of them being "Disobeying staff requests". The one that I got points for was given by Olly, so that was the old mod team.

That's not a coincidence imho. Nearly every time someone gets infracted now it's a yellow card and 0 points. So what does that mean? Doesn't mean anything. No one cares. "Oh no, I got NO points added to my infraction list. I'd better behave!".

I find it shocking that I, and I'm speaking purely on my own behalf here, have managed to completely ignore mod warnings on MANY occasions. The two infractions I got for disobeying a mod were rare occasions. I derail threads all the time. I constantly participate in discussions that have nothing to do with the actual topic. Even now as I'm writing this post. And you know why? Because I know that I can get away with it. And I would imagine that I'm not the only one who's noticed that you can get away with that sort of thing, which is why topics get derailed all the time.

We can only act on things that get reported, so if we miss something, it just means we haven't seen it. We don't watching all the threads, so if you see something going on, please report it. Or don't do it yourself..if you're complaining that we let you personally get away with too much!

Warnings are given out more than infractions because they usually work. We'll always warn first and then infract if the user breaks the same rules a second time. And usually if the warning was given a long time ago we won't just jump to infractions. I personally prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt. Sometimes we'll give an in thread warning first if it's a lot of people.

But your comments are noted, feedback is always useful.

What the heck is the point of a Love Boat thread for album #6? It'd just be exactly the same as the one in S&R (where it is, at least, relevant) but would then be much harder to find! :erm:.

I just think this is silly overmodding of a very small/insignificant issue. Surely it's harder to mod 6/7 different threads which tangentially involve album #6 discussion when it could all be contained in one (as it was until it was locked)?

/two-cents. I'm not trying to put the boot in on purpose, it just seems quite illogical :).

Archived