Dear Niall

Neil.

I don't know if Niall can, but I can if you need :awesome:

I also realise that I've now responded to three of Niall's past questions :ninja: Dear Sammy :awesome:

Sweet, although I may have fixed it now. It was playing up when installing software (examining available volumes for ages) so I booted from disk and tried to repair permissions but it wouldn't. After lots of fiddling it wouldn't boot at all but I went into single user mode and typed some shizz in that I found online and now it is operational. Not sure if it is a brief respite before my HD dies. Any thoughts?

Not too sure about hardware but since OSX is unix based I can probably help with software issues :)

It's all Greek to me, any insight is useful.

Sweet, although I may have fixed it now. It was playing up when installing software (examining available volumes for ages) so I booted from disk and tried to repair permissions but it wouldn't. After lots of fiddling it wouldn't boot at all but I went into single user mode and typed some shizz in that I found online and now it is operational. Not sure if it is a brief respite before my HD dies. Any thoughts?

How old is your Mac? I've heard a few stories of hard drives stuffing up, but usually it's out of the blue rather than slow and steady. My Mac has also started slowing down significantly as the hard drive has started filling up, that could also be a reason for it. Do you have the program Onyx? It's not the speediest thing in the world but it has repair tools to help your hard drive, as well as cleaning tools and that.

I realise this is all super basic advice, but it doesn't seem like too much of a problem. If a few commands fix it, I imagine it's just disagreeing with something.

How old is your Mac? I've heard a few stories of hard drives stuffing up, but usually it's out of the blue rather than slow and steady. My Mac has also started slowing down significantly as the hard drive has started filling up, that could also be a reason for it. Do you have the program Onyx? It's not the speediest thing in the world but it has repair tools to help your hard drive, as well as cleaning tools and that.

I realise this is all super basic advice, but it doesn't seem like too much of a problem. If a few commands fix it, I imagine it's just disagreeing with something.

Errr, 3 and a bit years old. It's slowed up a bit, a lot of fan chuffing than there ever used to be. Upgraded the RAM recently but doesn't seem to have made much difference. I don't have that, will have a look when I get home. It was behaving all of last night so I think some permissions must have fucked up and wouldn't let it boot and single user mode fixed that.

Thinking I may have to move on from it at some point as the battery is also slowly dying, barely lasts an hour now, but I just need it to hang on a few more months.

Errr, 3 and a bit years old. It's slowed up a bit, a lot of fan chuffing than there ever used to be. Upgraded the RAM recently but doesn't seem to have made much difference. I don't have that, will have a look when I get home. It was behaving all of last night so I think some permissions must have fucked up and wouldn't let it boot and single user mode fixed that.

Thinking I may have to move on from it at some point as the battery is also slowly dying, barely lasts an hour now, but I just need it to hang on a few more months.

If it's working fine now, I imagine it'd be nothing major. Mine took 10 minutes to boot the other day and I was terrified :LOL: Onyx is just software to keep your hard drive running as well as it can and fixes any boot errors. Three years should be fine though for age for the hardware, so wouldn't worry too much about that.

You can do a bit to help the battery life, but when it's gotten to that point, you'd perhaps go from an hour of battery life to maybe an hour and a half. My battery's health fluctuates between 75% and 90%. http://www.coconut-flavour.com/ this app here shows your battery health. I don't know if you want to bother, but you could always calibrate it (charge it up full, drain it to absolute empty, leave it for 5/6 hours, then charge it up full again, repeat if wanted).

• 1 month later...

Dear Niall,

everytime I have tried to change my avatar for the last few months, I get this baby; 'Upload failed due to failure writing temporary file.'

I know my file is a size which the board can handle, so what's going on please? :(

Thanks man!

• 2 weeks later...
Can we add a link for Soundcloud under our avatars just like we have Facebook, YouTube etc.?

Yeah I'd actually like that. There's a lot of bands and musicians here, and we already have the last.fm part down so it would be pretty cool.

Could we have one for tumblr as well?

I don't care either way for this one. But I guess some people would like that one.

Yeah I'd actually like that. There's a lot of bands and musicians here, and we already have the last.fm part down so it would be pretty cool.

I don't care either way for this one. But I guess some people would like that one.

Well there are quite a lot of people who use it...

Gil I have no idea bout your sig, I think it was just wank blindness.

Can we add a link for Soundcloud under our avatars just like we have Facebook, YouTube etc.?

Could we have one for tumblr as well?

Yup I will go have a look into those now and let you know :)

Edit: I'll do this, just need ftp access to the board which I don't yet have to put the icons in the right place, then I'll get tumblr, soundcloud, g+ and pinterest buttons added to user profiles.

Archived