Dear Niall

Neil.

That's a terrible example and shows how ignorant you are of alcoholics. Drinking a lot doesn't make you an alcoholic. Go to an AA meeting and tell someone who no longer drinks that they aren't an alcoholic and they will laugh in your face because you are an idiot.

Straw man argument

Well heres an flip side of it. A few years ago I attempted suicide. I jumped out a speeding boat into rough sea. Thankfully I didn't die and at once I realized what I was thinking was wrong. I learnt my lesson and moved on with my life. No one knew and no one had to know. Sometimes my friends will say "X wants to make me kill myself". Do I dislike the use of the phrase? Yes. Do I find it somewhat offensive? Yes. Do I call them out on it and tell them about my experience? No, because they are joking. It is a very morbid joke but it is still a joke. Yes, a morbid joke but still a joke. Compared to what Alex said what others say around me in very public areas it is nothing to bat an eye lid at. This is a case of mod over reaction.

I don't think I have ever talked about this publicly, but I suffer with major depression and a whole host of delightful anxiety and panic disorders. I had suffered with these for most of my adult life until a couple of years ago I had several drastic awful things happen and I did something stupid and ended up in hospital, where I was finally diagnosed and am now doing much better than I have for the last 15+ years.

I too don't generally have a problem with people saying "oh xxx makes me want to kill myself", but I do have a problem with people overusing the word "mental" like "oh I don't like that person therefore they are mental". In that case, I try to educate them that mental disorders are a problem that can't be helped as much as a dodgy pair of lungs or a heart problem is. I think the example you are stating is melodrama, rather than something that's designed to actually cause offence to someone with a mental illness.

Jokes have audiences.

A bullet is pointless without a target. How effective it is is dependent on what it hits.

The audience can also be the creator themselves.

Also bullets can be used as a distraction device thats creates a loud noise.

Bold bit= true, good point.

I do wonder if I were a lesbian and had been bullied and called horrible things because of my sexuality how much I'd mind hearing the word "gay" used so casually by people. I say this because I'm not easily offended by words, if they're not said in malicious ways. I'm not bothered if I hear jokes about sexual abuse, despite some things I went through as a kid. And I don't mind if someone jokingly uses the word "retard" and I have a sibling with downs syndrome.

I don't know what that says about me, nothing good I guess.

haha yeah it's all good to not be easily offended. I mean I'm really not easily offended, I'm stickin up for those who are, but I can stand hearing it, it's not like I freak and start smashing shit. I'd just rather not. and if I owned a pub and wielded the landlord banhammer, I'd boot 'em out.

Oh lol

I'm not saying I agree with Dee I'm just saying your comparison is shit and shows that you are ignorant regarding alcoholics.

Comparison isn't shit; I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Ignorance or not of alcoholism is irrelevant; that is a straw man argument.

(My point was you cannot claim to have been 'gay-bashed' if you have never been gay just as you cannot claim to be an alcoholic if you have never drunk alcohol.)

Thanks BOD, impressive contribution. You have no idea of the post that started all of this, evidently.

Well, tell me why it doesn't work for you.

I don't see the example fitting because she said:

if you were in a pub, in polite, public company, and you were using racial slurs or 'gay'-as-a-pejorative, saying 'retard' or calling a mate who's shit at pool a 'woman' or calling your friend a 'stupid ugly wonky-eyed bitch' even jokingly (that last one might be a personal trigger lmao lmao), people around you hearing that would be offended, and the landlord would kick your ass out.

1) Kit&Tab is not a polite company at all. (this doesn't justify any kind of offensive behaviour, though)

2) Gemsy compared "using racial slurs or 'gay'-as-a-pejorative, saying 'retard' or calling a mate who's shit at pool a 'woman' or calling your friend a 'stupid ugly wonky-eyed bitch'" to saying "yeah well your a willy head and r gay" as a response to "I dont think I've ever seen him do anything that's not childish or dickish", which is a clearly sarcastic, non-serious, without-any-intent-of-offending-Jamie thing to say in that context. He was just showing how childish and dickish that kind of post is. If he had said "yeah well your a willy head and r stupid" the post and its meaning would have been exactly the same.

Comparison isn't shit; I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Ignorance or not of alcoholism is irrelevant; that is a straw man argument.

(My point was you cannot claim to have been 'gay-bashed' if you have never been gay just as you cannot claim to be an alcoholic if you have never drunk alcohol.)

I wasn't refuting your point (second time I've said this) I was just saying that your lack of knowledge regarding alcoholics is troubling.

Reading bits and pieces of this thread is confirming to me something that is becoming and more and more apparent on this board (and possibly on the internet in general). Over the last couple of years, when people have said things on here that could be construed as nasty/mean/offensive, it's said in such a detached, non-plussed manner that's really reminiscent of terrible hipsters. "Oh look, I've said a bad word even though I know it's bad, isn't that funny?" = "Look, I said something bad but I'm trying to be self-aware, so it's ok, right?!" I swear that the amount of dubious comments online have increased because people are finding new ways to try and dress comments up as ok things to say. AND, when they're called up on what they say, they just bat it away with a 'whatever' style comment, like the intelligent beings they are.

That, by the way, is a general comment, before anyone starts to think it's solely about them.

report it to admin

Imagine if the board was just a big pub. For the most part got the Main Musers half of whom are verging on the 17/18 boundary and have to sneak alcohol/buy lemonade. Got the loud banter folk in the corner having a laugh. Other Music folk wearing some other band tshirts standing at the bar/jukebox. KnT as the lame band setting up in the other corner

it'd be tragic

This has been interesting for me. Though it may not bother me personally and though it isn't really a part of my vocabulary anymore I'll be making sure I don't use the word "gay" the way I have done in the past, nod.

The audience can also be the creator themselves.

Also bullets can be used as a distraction device thats creates a loud noise.

Wow. Couldn't have put it more eloquently myself. (What?)

I wasn't refuting your point (second time I've said this) I was just saying that your lack of knowledge regarding alcoholics is troubling.

So there are alcoholics who've never touched alcohol?

You SURE it's not your misunderstanding that's causing the 'trouble'? You SURE you follow? I can help, come and see me and we'll go through it at breaktime.

Bold bit= true, good point.

I do wonder if I were a lesbian and had been bullied and called horrible things because of my sexuality how much I'd mind hearing the word "gay" used so casually by people. I say this because I'm not easily offended by words, if they're not said in malicious ways. I'm not bothered if I hear jokes about sexual abuse, despite some things I went through as a kid. And I don't mind if someone jokingly uses the word "retard" and I have a sibling with downs syndrome.

I don't know what that says about me, nothing good I guess.

No, it just means your triggers are different, and the amount I know about you suggests that you wouldn't use language that's upsetting to others around those people, and that's the difference. I don't think you would argue that because you don't find something offensive, others shouldn't which is completely different to a lot of what I'm arguing against here! I do think you're a good person!

I always thought mental was just synonymous with "crazy". Like, not necessarily pertaining to mental disorders.

If someone is saying "oh the traffic was mental today!" that's ok. If someone is mocked as "mental" as abuse because they are displaying signs of a mental disorder or having an awful time of things, that's not ok. That's the best way my tired brain can explain haha.

1) Kit&Tab is not a polite company at all. (this doesn't justify any kind of offensive behaviour, though)

But it should be. That is the core of the problem with the K&T users.

2) Gemsy compared "using racial slurs or 'gay'-as-a-pejorative, saying 'retard' or calling a mate who's shit at pool a 'woman' or calling your friend a 'stupid ugly wonky-eyed bitch'" to saying "yeah well your a willy head and r gay" as a response to "I dont think I've ever seen him do anything that's not childish or dickish", which is a clearly sarcastic, non-serious, without-any-intent-of-offending-Jamie thing to say in that context. He was just showing how childish and dickish that kind of post is. If he had said "yeah well your a willy head and r stupid" the post and its meaning would have been exactly the same.

If you were in a bar that I frequent and you said something racist/homophobic/sexist/etc., context would not matter and you'd be kicked out. End of.

Then the best solution would just be to destroy Kit & Tab!

Or just kick out all of the assholes.

Imagine if the board was just a big pub. For the most part got the Main Musers half of whom are verging on the 17/18 boundary and have to sneak alcohol/buy lemonade. Got the loud banter folk in the corner having a laugh. Other Music folk wearing some other band tshirts standing at the bar/jukebox. KnT as the lame band setting up in the other corner

it'd be tragic

:LOL:

Gemsy's pub argument was perfect, I don't know what else there is to argue. You're just looking like absolute homophobes by even attempting to make some sort of point

You're in a public context on the board as much as you like to think the love boats are your own little private world, people are bound to somehow be offended by what you do. YOU lot need to learn about context. You wouldn't start talking about how xx is a fucking cunt and yy is a town bike while sitting around an old couple

Argue about the demographics and shit all you want, Gemsy put it perfectly. This is just like a pub with your friends. You wouldn't scream racial slurs out loud there so doing it here is no different

Go on keyboard warriors, come at me and continue to make fools of yourselves

Archived