Dear Niall

Neil.

I don't know if Blee's point about the whole gay thing was just a general reminder or about that post Alex made, in response to Jamie calling him immature. I don't think a warning on infraction showed up for it, so presuming he didn't get infracted for that?

Not gonna lie I am a little unsure of the whole gay thing and what can end up getting you a warning or worse. Like, if someone's being malicious and using the term gay or anything similar in a really derogatory way then of course that's understandable, but say someone were to just 'accidentally' call something gay with no malicious intent, just using the word to describe it. Because in that situation I'd think that's insanely harsh to receive an infraction for it....but then I also understand that it's not paticularly right to use the word (or any other) in that manner, intended or not

And are the same standards kept up for if someone were to call another a moron for instance?

also also, the whole alex "Well u r a willyhead and r gay" or whatever it was post. Obviously in that post he's using it as an insult but also he's obviously not being serious and mocking Jamie's initial post about him by...whatever you get the idea and I can't think how to phrase it in my head.

Reporting is kind of an issue in this case. Like Dominic said the argument isn't that both users in question deserved to be banned but that neither of them deserved to be banned.

Cheers bb. Such a slow typer, suddenly a load of posts appeared again during when I was typing :(

Doesn't answer the question as to why fuck all was done to the user in question whereas I know for a fact had it been a "trouble maker", the outcome would have been far different which demonstrates clear bias.

If you are going to infract someone with priors when they cause an incident then you have to warn someone without priors if they do the same thing otherwise it's not consistent.

I wouldn't have a problem if you actually remained consistent but the only thing you consistently do is infract and warn the same people.

So is there anyone on the mod team who has anything new to add? Rather than repeating the same "points" and "the word gay is bad" mantra.

If it's being repeated, it's because that is the case. My previous post was to try and clarify some points being raised in here. If you are seeking a different answer to the one I have already given, you're not going to get one.

I don't know if Blee's point about the whole gay thing was just a general reminder or about that post Alex made, in response to Jamie calling him immature. I don't think a warning on infraction showed up for it, so presuming he didn't get infracted for that?

Not gonna lie I am a little unsure of the whole gay thing and what can end up getting you a warning or worse. Like, if someone's being malicious and using the term gay or anything similar in a really derogatory way then of course that's understandable, but say someone were to just 'accidentally' call something gay with no malicious intent, just using the word to describe it. Because in that situation I'd think that's insanely harsh to receive an infraction for it....but then I also understand that it's not paticularly right to use the word (or any other) in that manner, intended or not

And are the same standards kept up for if someone were to call another a moron for instance?

also also, the whole alex "Well u r a willyhead and r gay" or whatever it was post. Obviously in that post he's using it as an insult but also he's obviously not being serious and mocking Jamie's initial post about him by...whatever you get the idea and I can't think how to phrase it in my head.

I don't believe it's possible to call someone "gay" with no malicious intent unless you are making an observation about their actual sexuality. This might be helpful - http://degreesearch.org/blog/when-its-okay-to-say-gay/

Using the word "moron" does not quite have the same connotations. In any case, if someone has been warned that they will get a long term ban for any further trouble, then do something against board rules, I don't really understand why anyone would be surprised that action has been carried out, and certainly in this case, I support the team's decision to take action.

Doesn't answer the question as to why fuck all was done to the user in question whereas I know for a fact had it been a "trouble maker", the outcome would have been far different which demonstrates clear bias.

If you are going to infract someone with priors when they cause an incident then you have to warn someone without priors if they do the same thing otherwise it's not consistent.

I wouldn't have a problem if you actually remained consistent but the only thing you consistently do is infract and warn the same people.

Can I please remind you again that infractions/warnings are between the mod team and the user in question? Just because not everyone chooses to publicise their warnings/infractions does not mean that action has not taken place.

Can I please remind you again that infractions/warnings are between the mod team and the user in question? Just because not everyone chooses to publicise their warnings/infractions does not mean that action has not taken place.

But that's what the flag system is for? To clarify to other people that someone has been warmed/infracted for a specific post.

Which is actually not true given that posts that receive infractions or warnings are viewable to the public.

But that's what the flag system is for? To clarify to other people that someone has been warmed/infracted for a specific post.

If the infraction was done through that post, which is not always the case. Infractions and warnings can be carried out via the user's page.

Not just to me, apparently.

Sorry to be harsh here, but if anyone has a problem with it, they are very welcome to go and find another messageboard. "Gay" as a negative is not ok on here, and hasn't been for a very long time. People seemed to only start kicking off about it when there was an openly gay mod/admin on the board.

Gay, and its synonyms, have gotten people some ridiculous infractions where other similarly offensive terms used jokingly have not. It's more the inbalance where you can say something more offensive without using the word and have a higher chance of getting away with it.

The connection to Niall is silly, but I can see why people would think that.

Sorry to be harsh here, but if anyone has a problem with it, they are very welcome to go and find another messageboard. "Gay" as a negative is not ok on here, and hasn't been for a very long time. People seemed to only start kicking off about it when there was an openly gay mod/admin on the board.

Do you work for Microsoft? /hopingsomeonewillgetthejoke

It's just that the witch hunt on words is a bit sad at times. The mods seem completely incapable of taking in the context of stuff. It's just a quick scan for offensive words and then boom, infract. Job well done.

But Niall's original point was to report posts if we believe they contain offensive content so if action is taken then it would be through one of those reported posts.

No, as I said, not always. Often we need to go and look at a users profile/previous posts to gain a measure of the action needed. If someone has been warned for the same offence several times, its obvious that they have not taken notice of the warning, and would need to be infracted, which we would not always go back to the post for.

Do you work for Microsoft? /hopingsomeonewillgetthejoke

It's just that the witch hunt on words is a bit sad at times. The mods seem completely incapable of taking in the context of stuff. It's just a quick scan for offensive words and then boom, infract. Job well done.

I'm finding this conversation very frustrating. You have used the report function before, and you were happy to do so, but because this situation doesn't directly affect you, you have a problem with it? The bottom line is, using "gay" as a negative or insult is not ok here. That's it.

Gay, and its synonyms, have gotten people some ridiculous infractions where other similarly offensive terms used jokingly have not. It's more the inbalance where you can say something more offensive without using the word and have a higher chance of getting away with it.

I'm finding this conversation very frustrating. You have used the report function before, and you were happy to do so, but because this situation doesn't directly affect you, you have a problem with it? The bottom line is, using "gay" as a negative or insult is not ok here. That's it.

And when it's not used as a negative or an insult? And how do YOU make that distinction?

Put it better than I could

What if it's used as an adjective? So to speak

Archived