Neil.

Dear Niall

All jokes aside. I am actually pretty pissed off someone only with a track record of being an condescending, arrogant, insulting prickgets an infraction (assuming points accumulating led to the ban) when what he said was truly horrible.

^ Yeah, this is what's bugging me a bit more now.

I just first of all don't get why Alex got an infraction

And I don't get why the mods somehow decided whatever it was is worth a 1 year ban. Surely some common sense must go through the mods minds about how ridiculous the length of it is?

I just first of all don't get why Alex got an infraction

And I don't get why the mods somehow decided whatever it was is worth a 1 year ban. Surely some common sense must go through the mods minds about how ridiculous the length of it is?

Exactly, why do the rules always win over plain common sense? The same applies for Gorker

As has already been said...

Alex accumulated a lot of points and had been warned further infractions would result in a long term ban. He continued to annoy people and thus we made good on our word.

Gorker didn't have as many points and we don't give long term bans for one off things. He is well known for dodging the rules while still being annoying. If he does much more, as with all users, we will consider a longer term ban.

That's all I'm going to say. It's tiring having to re-explain how things every time someone gets banned and their friends come whinging about it.

That's all I'm going to say. It's tiring having to re-explain how things every time someone gets banned and their friends come whinging about it.

Stop banning people then, I hate when you're tired :happy:

As has already been said...

Alex accumulated a lot of points and had been warned further infractions would result in a long term ban. He continued to annoy people and thus we made good on our word.

Gorker didn't have as many points and we don't give long term bans for one off things. He is well known for dodging the rules while still being annoying. If he does much more, as with all users, we will consider a longer term ban.

And Jamie? Alex made a legit post and the argument was started by Jamie. Did Jamie get warned/infracted? I haven't checked since Friday or so, but I didn't see any cards next to any of his posts. Clear case of inconsistency/bias.

As for Gorker, I find it funny that someone who could (and probably should) have been infracted for provocative posting, with literally every other post he makes, hasn't even been considered for a longer ban yet. Oh you guise.

No arguing with mod decisions. You are all banned :mad:

Calm down, Dore.

If you have any further questions, feel free to PM me.

And Jamie? Alex made a legit post and the argument was started by Jamie. Did Jamie get warned/infracted? I haven't checked since Friday or so, but I didn't see any cards next to any of his posts. Clear case of inconsistency/bias.

As for Gorker, I find it funny that someone who could (and probably should) have been infracted for provocative posting with literally every other post he makes, hasn't even been considered for a longer ban yet. Oh you guise.

Alex apparently didn't have a problem with what Jamie was posting. I don't like saying what is and isn't reported because as a ground rule we don't repost stuff from the mod forum outside of it...feel free to report any of Jamie's posts.

We definitely haven't let Gorker off for anything.

Gorker didn't have as many points and we don't give long term bans for one off things.

What Ari said. The fact that the whole thing was started by Jamie's provocative post and yet he got nothing suggests clear bias..

You make it sound far more trivial than it actually was...

feel free to report any of Jamie's posts.

Well you know I did for one, I'm sure. So what's happening there?

Alex apparently didn't have a problem with what Jamie was posting. I don't like saying what is and isn't reported because as a ground rule we don't repost stuff from the mod forum outside of it...feel free to report any of Jamie's posts.

We definitely haven't let Gorker off for anything.

Other people did have a problem with it though and have reported it. There are 2 (3?) mods in KnT who post there regularly and would have seen those post yet decide to take action on Alex and not Jamie.

(And for the record, I don't care about Alex so I'm not here as 'friend coming running to cry about his ban'.)

How can you get tired of explaining Alex's ban when you haven't explained anything? Everyone knows about the points system. Basically

1. What was the post(s) that were deemed so offensive/annoying?

2. Unless I am genuinely missing out on an offensive post (which you could easily clear up in a second by just linking to it) how can the mods collectively come to a decision to ban him for a year? Yes I know bans lengthen automatically the more you get in a short space of time but common sense has got to come into it somewhere

3. The whole point about no one finding Jamie's posts offensive is just a bit crap really. The whole point of this discussion is that nothing offensive has been posted and year long bans are ridiculous. Just that if the mods were to keep to the same standards then surely Jamie should have a lengthy ban as well?

Iuno, Alex was just making some genuinely interesting discussion (like in general luthiery fir example, where Jamie also made his dislike clear). I haven't read the whole gorker thing so can't compare that really

Yeah I still haven't seen a single post explaining what exactly Alex said that was infraction worthy.

But hey, at least Muse are okay.

Weren't they near that bombing a while ago? And by near the bombing I mean in a completely different city but you know ... stuff.

Alright, since we're doing this, I'm going to make a point of my own that is completely un-related to the Alex incident.

The 'points acclamation' defence is bollocks because it leads to preferential treatment.

Let's use an example shall we?

There was a recent incident where a certain user, a well known user, (who shall remain unnamed) made a very antagonistic set of posts in a very short space of time (isn't making multiple posts like that an offence?) and even told a user to 'fuck off' in what I perceive as a rather harsh manner. Instead of reacting to the post, I chose to report them in the hope that something would be done. I wasn't expecting an infraction because I don't believe the user in question has a history of infractions but I was at least expecting a warning.

What happened was actually laughable: multiple antagonistic posts, not so much as a warning.

In contrast, had I said what that user had said, I would have most certainly been infracted. Possibly multiple times

Then you claim that preferential treatment does not exist? Bullshit. I got warned for using the term 'idiotic'.

The only excuses for not giving the user even as little as a warning are "the user is one of our lot" or "Frakkles is a trouble-maker so his reports don't count" (lolari).

So go on, make me laugh with a defence that constitutes of absolutely no substance, it's what you usually do.

Just kinda feel like adding to this by saying that if people complain about the results of the automated system every time someone gets banned, then maybe there's a problem with that system. I've seen a bunch of people say it results in unfair judgment.

If a person has previously been warned that further problems will result in a long term/permaban then that is what we will do. In this case, do I really, really need to remind you that the use of "gay" as a negative is against board rules, and in any case, is not ok even off the board? If anyone is genuinely confused over this, I will explain it to you.

I would also like to remind you that other board users bans/infractions/warnings are between the mod team and that user. We try to be consistant, and discuss these matters with the other mods/admins, but as you can appreciate, on a board this size sometimes things will get overlooked. If you have genuine reason to believe that another board user is doing something against the rules to you or someone else, please report the post. Reports are only seen by the board staff and anything reported will remain anonymous to regular board users, unless, of course, the reportee wishes to say in a thread or whatever.

So is there anyone on the mod team who has anything new to add? Rather than repeating the same "points" and "the word gay is bad" mantra.

So is there anyone on the mod team who has anything new to add? Rather than repeating the same "points" and "the word gay is bad" mantra.

I do.

You're a twat.

Reporting is kind of an issue in this case. Like Dominic said the argument isn't that both users in question deserved to be banned but that neither of them deserved to be banned.