Dear Niall

Neil.

cunt/dick is fine because it's the same for people of all genders (ie everybody has one, they're used in the same context) and insults have pretty much always come from sexual metaphor/stuff about genitals. Using gay as an insult is different cause it applies only to that specific group who are already marginalised and have to deal with homophobia which using gay as an insult perpetuates as it implies gay=bad. Would "that's so black!" be an acceptable insult? Also, there's not an equivalent for other sexualities - nobody says "that's so straight!"

Maybe some people still use gay to mean happy, but dictionaries usually list that meaning as dated or obsolete, and you would typically be misunderstood using gay to mean "happy". God knows how many pages of google results one would have to get through to get to that meaning being used on a website.

So it's possible to misunderstand the use of the word?

So it's possible to misunderstand the use of the word?

Of any word, probably. What's that got to do with anything?

And you still don't get to decide whether I feel offended when somebody uses the word 'dick'.

You can get offended at whatever you like. People get offended at all sorts of things without a rational basis for arguing against it.

I am absolutely dying

C8ed5wXjpQU

Worst rhyme ever, should've been

"I called someone gay, it was really not okay."

FYI, I did report it (go blame me if anything), and am a long time kittentabber. I prefer the less abusive atmosphere and it's a more pleasant place to be. If anything, that post was the kickstarter, not the reason for our decision to give him a year ban (instead of a perma).

And you still don't get to decide whether I feel offended when somebody uses the word 'dick'.

Like Niall said, you can be offended about something that has no rational basis (dick as an insult) or you can be offended by something that actually does have a rational basis (gay as an insult)

you can pretend gay doesn't have a basis as an insult or you can spend 5 minutes on google finding out otherwise

Like Niall said, you can be offended about something that has no rational basis (dick as an insult) or you can be offended by something that actually does have a rational basis (gay as an insult)

e

You can't decide whether or not there's a rational basis for being offended by being called a dick.

And the problem isn't that people get insulted because 'gay' is used as an insult; it's that people get offended when it isn't.

You identify as a straight male, right? Ever been gay bashed? Abused for your sexuality? Would you like to go and tell a black person why it's ok to sometimes use the N word? Because that is also a word used to abuse a certain type of people?

If you think I'm being condescending, it's because I see someone that needs things explained to them plainly.

To be very, very clear, "joking" or not, "gay" is not to be used as a negative. If you were genuinely offended at what Sammy said, and vice versa, you should report it. "Twat" and "cunt" used as insults are not in the same league unless you found them offensive.

seriously, I am at a loss that this is even something you are trying to debate with me. I'm starting, in all honestly, to feel embarrassed for you.

This begs the question; are mods born twats, or does their position bring out out of them?

Hmm which side to take?

I mean I could opt for those saying that the use of such words is utterly abhorrent. I mean after all, I'm not one to revel in anyone's unhappiness or upset.

However, I can't help but root for people who defend the use of such language, purely on the basis of the hypocrisy of the former camp.

Decisions, decisions.

Worst rhyme ever, should've been

"I called someone gay, it was really not okay."

FYI, I did report it (go blame me if anything), and am a long time kittentabber. I prefer the less abusive atmosphere and it's a more pleasant place to be. If anything, that post was the kickstarter, not the reason for our decision to give him a year ban (instead of a perma).

I thought it was ruddy marvellous

I dunno, I've just never really found KnT abusive since like 2009. See much worse stuff in MM (cough setlists) and banter. I wouldn't call Alex's post the kickstarter at all, the was Jamie obviously going out of his way to make his dislike for Alex clear.

I know none of this will affect Alex's ban anyway, just it did seem like a ridiculous ban, and that it didn't seem consistent with some other users. And it's been a little confusing as to what Alex got infracted for, like half the mods gave the impression it was just the willy head post although Niall's clarified it was more than that so whatever won't go into it

I feel like sharing this again cos it is wonderful

C8ed5wXjpQU

Hmm which side to take?

I mean I could opt for those saying that the use of such words is utterly abhorrent. I mean after all, I'm not one to revel in anyone's unhappiness or upset.

However, I can't help but root for people who defend the use of such language, purely on the basis of the hypocrisy of the former camp.

Decisions, decisions.

I know man, I know :'(

Archived