Well, you mustn't think much of his other solos then!

(Not that I agree that difficulty level is the only gauge on whether a solo is a good one)

I'm not saying difficult = better, I'm saying that the Invincible solo is nothing special. At all.

(Not that I agree that difficulty level is the only gauge on whether a solo is a good one)

The difficulty is usually what people talk about when they praise it though.

Much like vocal range and other irrelevant sides of music, they're only important when people think it's a good thing.

"Omg this solo is amazing, it's sooo technical and stuff"

"no it isn't"

"Well...MUSIC ISN'T ABOUT TECHNICALITY"

Why? Invincible's solo is pretty soulless, generic and therefore not really that interesting to listen to, that's why I don't think it's that great and that it's overrated. Comparing it to something like Showbiz's solo, Overture's solo or Hyper Chondriac Music's solo (if you'd call that a solo), which have a fair bit of emotion in them and keep my attention, it just seems a bit bland.

I am against guitar solos. You could remove every guitar solo in the world and I would only miss like 1%.

Eternally Missed, Showbiz and Darkshines live are the only good solos by Muse that I can think of right now.

Well, Citizen Erased live is pretty decent too.

Why? Invincible's solo is pretty soulless, generic and therefore not really that interesting to listen to, that's why I don't think it's that great and that it's overrated. Comparing it to something like Showbiz's solo, Overture's solo or Hyper Chondriac Music's solo (if you'd call that a solo), which have a fair bit of emotion in them and keep my attention, it just seems a bit bland.

Why wouldn't you call it a solo?

Why wouldn't you call it a solo?

I do call it a solo, because it is one - I just know some people who've said "That's not a solo, solos require blah, blah, blah" etc.

I am against guitar solos. You could remove every guitar solo in the world and I would only miss like 1%.

Eternally Missed, Showbiz and Darkshines live are the only good solos by Muse that I can think of right now.

Well, Citizen Erased live is pretty decent too.

I hope Free Bird is in that 1% :supersad:

But yeah, I pretty much agree, there are no Muse solos that are what I'd say are particularly outstanding, most of them are just...there (Exo-Politics *shudder* :noey:).

I do call it a solo, because it is one - I just know some people who've said "That's not a solo, solos require blah, blah, blah" etc.

Oh, OK. I've never heard someone say that a solo as obvious as that isn't one.

Edit: A lot of Matt's solos do sound more like riffs to me though.

I think the term guitar solo is an odd one. The section where the guitar kicks in in the Hysteria intro, would that be considered a solo? Because it's the same instruments that are playing when the bridge kicks in later. Taking out all of the sections of a track that is like this would leave you with very little to listen to.

Everything would just sound like hardcore punk, but with better production.

I reckon the keepers will be...

New Born

Plug In Baby

TIme Is Running Out

Stockholm Syndrome

Hysteria

Starlight

Supermassive Black Hole

Knights Of Cydonia

Uprising

Resistance

And occasionally we will get...

Bliss

Citizen Erased

Butterflies & Hurricanes

Undisclosed Desires

United States of Eurasia

I hope they drop Feeling Good for once...But I guess it's not likely. I would love it if they brought some songs back from the dead... like Sunburn, Muscle Museum, Space Dementia, Hyper Music, Micro Cuts, Apocalypse Please, The Small Print... Who knows...

I reckon the keepers will be...

New Born

Plug In Baby

TIme Is Running Out

Stockholm Syndrome

Hysteria

Starlight

Supermassive Black Hole

Knights Of Cydonia

Uprising

Resistance

I think that will be about right, take those plus 4/5 off the new album and it still leaves a bit of room to hopefully rotate a few rarer songs each night. I think part of the problem with The Resistance tour was they played too many new songs, like on any given night you would probably have got Uprising, Resistance, UD, USOE, GL, US, Exogenesis pt 1 and maybe MK Ultra, and i just thought playing all those takes up too much of the set time each night really

Also going back to the guitar solo thing, i dont really consider things like difficulty as an important factor...I just really like guitar solo's! So from that point, as Matt doesnt play that many of them the one in Invincible is one of my favourite Muse moments.

I think that will be about right, take those plus 4/5 off the new album and it still leaves a bit of room to hopefully rotate a few rarer songs each night. I think part of the problem with The Resistance tour was they played too many new songs, like on any given night you would probably have got Uprising, Resistance, UD, USOE, GL, US, Exogenesis pt 1 and maybe MK Ultra, and i just thought playing all those takes up too much of the set time each night really

Omg, they played a lot of new songs every night on the tour for that album?! Shocking! For me it wasn't so much that they played too many new songs. It was more that 99% of the time they chose the worst possible songs from TR to play. And the fact that they shortened the setlists to the point where there was no room for anything obscure. Unless you live in Asia and Australia.

Omg, they played a lot of new songs every night on the tour for that album?! Shocking! For me it wasn't so much that they played too many new songs. It was more that 99% of the time they chose the worst possible songs from TR to play. And the fact that they shortened the setlists to the point where there was no room for anything obscure. Unless you live in Asia and Australia.

Obviously i know they're going to play new songs on an album tour, just i think 7/8 every night is maybe too many (Dont think i've ever seen any band play so many new songs in such short setlists), so 'no room for anything obscure' is pretty much the point i was getting at.

Well they played 9 out of the 11 Resistance songs throughout the tour. A standard arena set was about 17 songs. They could've played all 9 songs and have had 8 left over. Put in the standards like Starlight, KoC, and PiB and there's 5 where they could've tossed in some rarities and better songs that were missing for most of the tour. Even more for a stadium gig That's what the summer polls were for but of course those didn't turn out very well.

Budokan wasn't the most varied setlist in the world but just the addition of Dead Star shot up its approval ratings.

Well they played 9 out of the 11 Resistance songs throughout the tour. A standard arena set was about 17 songs. They could've played all 9 songs and have had 8 left over. Put in the standards like Starlight, KoC, and PiB and there's 5 where they could've tossed in some rarities and better songs that were missing for most of the tour. Even more for a stadium gig That's what the summer polls were for but of course those didn't turn out very well.

Budokan wasn't the most varied setlist in the world but just the addition of Dead Star shot up its approval ratings.

Standards also include Hysteria, Time is Running Out, New Born, Stockholm... Doesn't leave that much room for rarities.

Drop Resistance, UD and Guiding Light because they are terrible live and replace them with rarities. That way you still get 6 out of the 9 songs that you would consider playing from The Resistance plus you leave room better songs. That way everyone is happy.

Edited by Seaking

Drop Resistance, UD and Guiding Light because they are terrible live and replace them with rarities. That way you still get 6 out of the 9 songs that you would consider playing from The Resistance plus you leave room better songs. That way everyone is happy.

This.

But since it's Muse we're talking about, even if they left spaces for "older songs" those would have been Invincible, Soldier's Poem and Feeling Good. lol

Standards also include Hysteria, Time is Running Out, New Born, Stockholm... Doesn't leave that much room for rarities.

But again, just playing something like Dead Star would be a huge favor on its own. And there were a few gigs where New Born and SS weren't played.

IMO, songs that will be played on the next tour:

Showbiz:

- Sunburn

- Unintended

- Muscle Museum (possibly)

OOS:

- New Born

- Bliss

- Feeling Good

- Plug In Baby

- Citizen Erased

- Dead Star

Absolution:

- Hysteria

- Apocalypse Please

- Time Is Running Out

- Butterflies & Hurricanes

- Stockholm Syndrome

- Sing For Absolution (possibly)

- Endlessy (possibly)

BHAR:

- Supermassive Black Hole

- Knights Of Cydonia

- Starlight

- Map Of The Problematique

- Take A Bow

- Soldier's Poem (possibly)

- Invincible (possibly)

- Assassin (possibly)

TR:

- Uprising

- Resistance

- United States Of Eurasia

- MK Ultra (possibly)

- Unnatural Selection (possibly)

- Exogenesis Part 1 (possibly)

Showbiz:

- Sunburn

- Unintended

OOS:

- New Born

- Bliss

- Feeling Good

- Plug In Baby

- Citizen Erased

- Dead Star

Absolution:

- Hysteria

- Apocalypse Please

- Time Is Running Out

- Stockholm Syndrome

- Endlessy (possibly)

BHAR:

- Knights Of Cydonia

- Starlight

- Take A Bow

- Invincible (possibly)

- Assassin (possibly)

TR:

- Uprising

- Resistance

- MK Ultra (possibly)

Would be wonderful but unlikely. The two I really want be brought back are invincible and muscle museum - also apocalypse please is appropriate this year :rolleyes:

Showbiz:

- Sunburn

- Unintended

OOS:

- New Born

- Bliss

- Feeling Good

- Plug In Baby

- Citizen Erased

- Dead Star

Absolution:

- Hysteria

- Apocalypse Please

- Time Is Running Out

- Stockholm Syndrome

- Endlessy (possibly)

BHAR:

- Knights Of Cydonia

- Starlight

- Take A Bow

- Invincible (possibly)

- Assassin (possibly)

TR:

- Uprising

- Resistance

- MK Ultra (possibly)

Can only see Sunburn being played out of the Showbiz ones. I have a sneaky feeling that New Born or Citizen Erased might go :( Half of the Abso ones I doubt too, just canne see it. When was the last time they even played B&H?

Invincible and Assassin... nah. Doubt it anyway.

Showbiz:

- Sunburn (Rarely)

- Unintended (Very Rarely)

OOS:

- New Born

- Bliss (Stadium)

- Feeling Good (Occasionally)

- Plug In Baby

- Citizen Erased (Stadium Gigs)

- Dead Star (Once or Twice ... maybe)

Absolution:

- Hysteria

- Time Is Running Out

- Butterflies & Hurricanes (Every now and again)

- Stockholm Syndrome

BHAR:

- Knights Of Cydonia

- Starlight

- Take A Bow (A few times but nothing regular)

TR:

- Uprising

- Resistance

- MK Ultra (possibly)

^ Much more likely