And you have been proven wrong because the support bands has NOTHING to do with Muse's sets, and neither does the tower setup.

The support bands doesn't take time from Muse. Muse can choose themselves for how long they want to play.

The doors open for the gig, it takes about 15-30 minutes for the early fans to get in and get settled, then during the support alot more fans enter

Support acts eat up a good 1hr-1:45 of the time setting up their own stuff, soundchecks, gig itself, pissing off etc

They can't choose though because of the curfew, it's a law that's taken quite strictly in the UK and can lead to hefty fines because it causes such a problem for travellers.

I think at the end of the day they've played too many gigs for too long and they've just lost alot of enthusiasm about it, they need a long break and sort their own lives out, then maybe we'll see an improvement with the setlists... Personally I don't care about the setlists, they don't bother me.

Muse had their biggest set on the stadium shows, they had 3 support bands and managed to play 18 songs.

Muse plays arenas with a smaller set, one support band, and only manages to play 15 songs. BUT, they do play some rare songs every now and then, which proves that it CAN be done, and it has nothing to do with the technical stuff, saying that would just be silly.

Something that Muse has proven themselves by giving asians rarities, and random other shows: They CAN mix up the set, they just choose not to.

Once again you missed the point.

"The difference with U2 is they've got about 20-25 years over Muse on touring and they've been doing huge tours since the dawn of time, so I'm sure they're used to it."

Who are used to it? Since I already said, there is no problem for Muse, and you are the one saying that it's hard for the crew. Therefore you are saying that Muse's crew aren't used to huge tours like these.Which brings me back to my point. Why wouldn't they be used to it? And if the crew isn't able to handle such a big tour, then why not get people who can?

I'm talking about both Muse the band and the crew... "Used to it" is probably the wrong phrase, but I'd say the pressure of a 15 month tour must take it's toll on everyone... And I don't know whether Muse use the same crew everytime, for every gig, so that's also an issue, because not everyone can be reliable and there's usually something that fucks up along the way.

For all we know, the crew Muse wanted to use were busy with U2, who knows.

Whatever the reasons, we're looking at the current and really the thread is about the future and I'm suggesting that for future tours, if they toned it down, there'd be less pressure on the whole of Muse, the crew, the management and so on.

I think at the end of the day they've played too many gigs for too long and they've just lost alot of enthusiasm about it, they need a long break and sort their own lives out, then maybe we'll see an improvement with the setlists... Personally I don't care about the setlists, they don't bother me.

Now, from YOUR point of view. If you would play the same songs every gig for the whole tour, wouldn't that make it kinda boring after a while? Wouldn't it just kill some of the fun?

Now...what if you changed things around, made every night different, giving it a new and fresh touch every time. Just change a few songs around, add a song like Dead Star and see all the people just rocking out. Wouldn't that feel better?

My point is, I'm not fucking surprised if Muse has lost their enthusiasm by the way they are playing :p

I'm talking about both Muse the band and the crew... "Used to it" is probably the wrong phrase, but I'd say the pressure of a 15 month tour must take it's toll on everyone... And I don't know whether Muse use the same crew everytime, for every gig, so that's also an issue, because not everyone can be reliable and there's usually something that fucks up along the way.

For all we know, the crew Muse wanted to use were busy with U2, who knows.

Whatever the reasons, we're looking at the current and really the thread is about the future and I'm suggesting that for future tours, if they toned it down, there'd be less pressure on the whole of Muse, the crew, the management and so on.

Yep, agreed. Smaller venues and sets will definitely make it easier. But I still don't agree that their current sets are holding Muse back in any way.

My links on the bottom post on the page before prove Sippes argument.

Yeah, I have been using gigs like those+the asian ones as sources for my arguments :p

All the sudden, MK Ultra, B&H and Sunburn, but then they are gone again. 19 REAL songs for an arena as well.

I just dont understand how you can justify your argument, when throughout the tour, Muse HAVE played for longer, they HAVE played older songs, they HAVE mixed up the setlist order. They just choose not to at most gigs.

If what your saying is true then they would be playing http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/muse/2010/arco-arena-sacramento-ca-1bd53d80.html, that every night. BUT then why is it they are able to do things like this out of the blue:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/muse/2009/pala-isozaki-turin-italy-6bd71e16.html

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/muse/2010/rbc-center-raleigh-nc-33d57c81.html

Those are all on the arena tour.

OK so for the Arco Arena gig, they had just Passion Pit supporting, I don't know what time the gig ended or how long PP were on for, perhaps the time between PP and Muse was shorter than other gigs, still they played one song less than the Liverpool gig I went to and that gig had The Big Pink supporting and finished at about 22:45

2nd gig, yeah just Biffy Clyro supporting, excellent setlist, but also very early on in the tour.

3rd gig was much of the same but with a switch in play order, that's not really much of a suprise tbh.

I'm not saying at all that Muse themselves aren't at fault in the setlists, because like I've said they're probably knackered to hell and back and what with Matt/Chris' personal lives on top of it, the setlists may mirror their current mood/state of mind, who really knows...

Either way, they DO need a break, I think everyone can totally agree with that, we were talking about this way back last year that Matt looked fucked even then.

Anyway, it's 03:14 here and I'm off to bed

Yeah, I have been using gigs like those+the asian ones as sources for my arguments :p

All the sudden, MK Ultra, B&H and Sunburn, but then they are gone again. 19 REAL songs for an arena as well.

I just used those ones cause they actully use the full tower setup, so no one can say about the Asian gigs that they played the rarities because they didnt get the full stage setup.

Don't do them again unless they actually intend on playing what we ask for.

This. I'm sure at some point we've all imagined Matt sitting behind a computer being a troll and laughing at the results, not giving a flying fuck what we think. But yeah, I just don't see why they would even give us these polls if they're just going to play a generic set every night.

Simple fact of the matter; Muse have five albums, they charge £40-£50 for an arena gig, inc. fees. They should be playing a minimum of 20 songs, or 20 every night. This builds on the 17-19 song precedents set on the Absolution/BH&R tours.

End of.

Muse are lazy.

Simple fact of the matter; Muse have five albums, they charge £40-£50 for an arena gig, inc. fees. They should be playing a minimum of 20 songs, or 20 every night. This builds on the 17-19 song precedents set on the Absolution/BH&R tours.

End of.

Muse are lazy.

Essentially this is the main problem.

I don't think laziness is the problem. I think paranoism and plain fear of fucking up is the problem.

I agree with this. Besides I believe the direction the band took with TR influenced the choices for the sets (more ear-friendly tunes) a lot. Also, the crowd reaction seems to determin a lot of what they play. When they played CE at Rock in Rio 2010 the reaction of the crowd was terrible, people just didn't know the song. But then, why play CE at a festival and not on your own arena gigs :rolleyes:

Still, I love to attend a Muse gig (altough so far I've only been to 2) and I'm always blown away, but I do agree that they have the potential to do even better, and they have showed tbat to people themselves over the last 10 years.

What Muse should have done:

-Changed the order of songs around like they did at the end of the last leg more (rotating Uprising and Overture as openers and TaB and Knights as closers, opening encores with different songs such as Uprising or Take a Bow, etc.)

-Played longer sets (19-20 full songs would be reasonable)

-Rotated more songs (they've played B&H, CE, Bliss, RbS, Cave and Take a Bow at some point - they should have appeared more often)

That would have been a pretty good tour. It's a shame they could only manage to do a maximum of two of those things at a time.

What Muse should have done:

-Changed the order of songs around like they did at the end of the last leg more (rotating Uprising and Overture as openers and TaB and Knights as closers, opening encores with different songs such as Uprising or Take a Bow, etc.)

-Played longer sets (19-20 full songs would be reasonable)

-Rotated more songs (they've played B&H, CE, Bliss, RbS, Cave and Take a Bow at some point - they should have appeared more often)

That would have been a pretty good tour. It's a shame they could only manage to do a maximum of two of those things at a time.

YES.

What irritates me is that they have almost as many superb B-sides (41 on musewiki page) that they could play in gigs as they have songs released on the 5 albums (about 60)... What's stopping them play these?

YES.

What irritates me is that they have almost as many superb B-sides (41 on musewiki page) that they could play in gigs as they have songs released on the 5 albums (about 60)... What's stopping them play these?

Some of the attending people might not have heard all of Muse's songs, so therefore they can only play their singles, obviously....

:noey: