Well, it's like the people who answer to setlist complains with "I thought the setlist was good.....I like them for whatever they play".

It kinda loses its point to judge something if you don't have any demands. It's like reviewing a movie and then finish by saying "But I would give it 5 stars no matter what".

That's not the point though. The point is that some folks take every opportunity to rehash the same old arguments over and over again and it gets very dull. I like to hear some of the old classics as much as anyone but Muse aren't some tinpot little band who organise their setlists around 20 people. I personally happen to like their new stuff just as much. Some don't that's up to them, but Muse will move on whether or not a small minority of their fans don't want them to.

Well, it's like the people who answer to setlist complains with "I thought the setlist was good.....I like them for whatever they play".

It kinda loses its point to judge something if you don't have any demands. It's like reviewing a movie and then finish by saying "But I would give it 5 stars no matter what".

That's why I'm not in that camp, because I don't like EVERYTHING Muse play, I'm not keen on GL, FG or (Dare I say it) Plug in Baby but they've been included in every gig (Bar Seaside) I've been to since TR was released.

Muse aren't perfect by any means, but I don't think they deserve the flak they're getting for certain things.

That's not the point though. The point is that some folks take every opportunity to rehash the same old arguments over and over again and it gets very dull. I like to hear some of the old classics as much as anyone but Muse aren't some tinpot little band who organise their setlists around 20 people. I personally happen to like their new stuff just as much. Some don't that's up to them, but Muse will move on whether or not a small minority of their fans don't want them to.

Yeah, only around 20 people wants to hear Muse's older songs...

99% of the gig attenders has also never heard of Showbiz or OoS.

That still doesn't mean that they can't still play the older songs though. What possible harm could it do to play old songs every now and then, in a setlist with at least 14+ greatest hits/complete shit?

Just because everyone doesn't post about it on the board doesn't mean a lot of the attenders WANTS to hear older songs. Maybe they are happy with greatest hits+new songs, but that's not the point. The point is that the argument "Muse can't play older songs since the attenders doesn't know them" doesn't hold.

Muse has no reason to for example ignore the poll results.

Just because everyone doesn't post about it on the board doesn't mean a lot of the attenders WANTS to hear older songs. Maybe they are happy with greatest hits+new songs, but that's not the point. The point is that the argument "Muse can't play older songs since the attenders doesn't know them" doesn't hold.

Muse has no reason to for example ignore the poll results.

This.

This in particular was an incredibly cruel stunt to pull on the fans. Anyone who tries to dispute this is stupid, plain and simple.

Yeah, only around 20 people wants to hear Muse's older songs...99% of the gig attenders has also never heard of Showbiz or OoS.

No of course, you're right, that's not true. That does them a disservice. I'm sure there are hundreds if not thousands of people who would enjoy hearing old songs but I was referring to the people who find any opportunity to complain on here. It's always the same minority.

The fact is Muse will perform what they want to, so endless moaning seems pretty pointless to me. They already know that some of the fans on here are desparate to hear old songs!

No of course, you're right, that's not true. That does them a disservice. I'm sure there are hundreds if not thousands of people who would enjoy hearing old songs but I was referring to the people who find any opportunity to complain on here.

The fact is Muse will perform what they want to, so endless moaning seems pretty pointless to me. Tney already know that some of the fans on here are desparate to hear old songs!

"I think it was Jo Wiley who commended Muse on the fact that they don't indulge themselves, they play the stuff that she felt people wanted to hear, which is the hits."

Your words. Now how is it? Does Muse play what THEY want, or what the people want to hear?

Wouldn't the polls be a good proof of what a lot of people want to hear?

Basically I think people are overthinking it. Yes I agree that Matt wants everything perfect, and fucking up is a bit of a issue for him, but more than that, I think that he's going on what he wants performed when he goes to a gig, which is the hits. He said it about Prince. He was so pleased that Prince played all his hits. I think it was Jo Wiley who commended Muse on the fact that they don't indulge themselves, they play the stuff that she felt people wanted to hear, which is the hits.

PS The next tour will have an extra ingrediant of course - new songs!:D I can't see anything to complain about that and am happy to wait and see. :happy: I can't see the point of bemoaning the loss of the old, life moves on!

There's a difference between a festival setlist (Which I think is what Jo Whiley was referring to) and your own gig. Muse need to start taking pride in all their material at their own gigs. Whereas at festivals, you play the "hits" and the "hits" only, in fact, bands should forget promoting their new album at festivals and concentrate on promoting themselves as a whole.

There's a difference with an artist like Prince who has been around so long that he's accumulated a whole string of real hits, not just a singles set. ;)

"I think it was Jo Wiley who commended Muse on the fact that they don't indulge themselves, they play the stuff that she felt people wanted to hear, which is the hits."

Your words. Now how is it? Does Muse play what THEY want, or what the people want to hear?

Wouldn't the polls be a good proof of what a lot of people want to hear?

No the best feedback is what they get from the audience. Muse want to play songs that please the audience. And if they get good feedback for songs such as Feeling Good which they do consistently, they are going to keep playing Feeling Good. ;)

Remember their comments when they first played Bliss I think it was? Something like "oh five people want to hear this". I wonder whether they trusted the polls. Afterall there was nothing stopping people from voting in relation to gigs they weren't attending.

No the best feedback is what they get from the audience. Muse want to play songs that please the audience. And if they get good feedback for songs such as Feeling Good which they do consistently, they are going to keep playing Feeling Good. ;)

Remember their comments when they first played Bliss I think it was? Something like "oh five people want to hear this". I wonder whether they trusted the polls. Afterall there was nothing stopping people from voting in relation to gigs they weren't attending.

Then why keep playing songs like UD, GL and Resistance that barely gets any reactions at all?

This.

This in particular was an incredibly cruel stunt to pull on the fans. Anyone who tries to dispute this is stupid, plain and simple.

That's something I wondered about, I wasn't here at the time so I don't know the details but did Muse themselves (I mean only M/D/C here) even know about the poll?? Was it their idea? Or was it just a management/label stunt?

That's something I wondered about, I wasn't here at the time so I don't know the details but did Muse themselves (I mean only M/D/C here) even know about the poll?? Was it their idea? Or was it just a management/label stunt?

We don't know, we can only guess. But I'm guessing it wasn't Muse's idea.

A lot of people who aren't on the boards do want to hear old stuff. The amount of people I was chatting to at Oxegen who were praying that Muse would play Showbiz. I found that quite odd.

I think most people have a too negative view on what the fans actually likes, Muse included.

We don't know, we can only guess. But I'm guessing it wasn't Muse's idea.

I know I saw the poll after it was closed (I haven't seen the results though) and even if I had the chance to vote I think I would've declined because it would've been so difficult for me to choose 3 songs from 90+ that probably wouldn't be played anyway.

The only thing I'm certain of is that Hyper Music would've been my first choice.

The singles will always get a bigger cheer, doesn't mean it's what the audience wants. It's always just "Whey! A song I know!".

The songs I rate as Muse's best songs live, I didn't cheer for beforehand.

If you've sold out a venue, everyone is there to see you, so you can be "self-indulgent" and a band plays better if they play what they want to play, rather than what they think the audience wants to hear. The moment you start second guessing the audience is the moment you've lost touch.

And yes, plenty of non-boardies do want to hear older songs, Muse are ultimately an album band, not a singles one.

The non-boardie I was going with to manchester kept asking if they were going to play muscle museum

Same here. That one, and Hyper Music seem to be the ones non-boardies keep asking me if they're going to play. I hate having to break it to them. :noey:

Muse are ultimately an album band, not a singles one.

....for now.

I know I saw the poll after it was closed (I haven't seen the results though) and even if I had the chance to vote I think I would've declined because it would've been so difficult for me to choose 3 songs from 90+ that probably wouldn't be played anyway.

The only thing I'm certain of is that Hyper Music would've been my first choice.

The poll was a complete joke. Songs like Dead Star + half of their B-sides weren't even available to get voted on.

Same here. That one, and Hyper Music seem to be the ones non-boardies keep asking me if they're going to play. I hate having to break it to them. :noey:

I laughed the first time he asked, thinking he was joking. I forget some people don't know that muse have forgotten that showbiz was actually their album and not radioheads.