Crews do that, but Muse also don't call the shots on the tour either.

Muse decides what they want to play, and tbh, if you say "We can't play this song, it's too hard for the crew to do", then there's something seriously wrong.

They're NOT ignoring their older songs, you can't possibly expect them to play all of their older songs on the tour that's supposed to be advertising their new album, they're still fitting in alot of OoS tracks and yeah, they COULD fit in some more Showbiz stuff, but even so.

I am only answering to your arguments about "new fans may not have heard *insert random old song*" and saying that it doesn't matter. I just gave an example.

Have you been on a tour the scale of Muse?

It's alot more difficult than organizing a gig down the pub

The scale is irrelevant.

We live in an age of presets, everything is just a few clicks away. Matt & Chris could easily set up patches on their rigs for every song they've ever done.

Have YOU been on a tour of the scale of Muse?

If so, was it impossible or even hard if you got instructions to play a song that you already have visuals for and has been played just a few days ago?

Your arguments still fail when we have seen Muse pull out random songs from certain gigs during the whole tour.

Bands no, musicals and film sets yeah, but it's the same principal, everyone has a job to do and if one cog fails, it fucks everything else up.

How do you know these tracks are random though?? We've seen setlists leaked before and these "random" songs are all listed on there, perhaps this is Muse' own idea of "variety"... Who knows... Either way as a consumer, all you do is pay some money and stand in a crowd for abit, those involved with bands/tours etc have so much work to do to keep things going, I understand where the pressure comes from on their side of the fence.

Bands no, musicals and film sets yeah, but it's the same principal, everyone has a job to do and if one cog fails, it fucks everything else up.

How do you know these tracks are random though?? We've seen setlists leaked before and these "random" songs are all listed on there, perhaps this is Muse' own idea of "variety"... Who knows... Either way as a consumer, all you do is pay some money and stand in a crowd for abit, those involved with bands/tours etc have so much work to do to keep things going, I understand where the pressure comes from on their side of the fence.

Once again you missed the point. The point is that they played the songs once or twice, then never again. If they are prepared or not doesn't matter, it still doesn't change the fact that they CAN be played again.

And since you haven't been on a band set, you have no idea how much difference it makes to the crew if Muse decides do change a few songs around.

Muse decides what they want to play, and tbh, if you say "We can't play this song, it's too hard for the crew to do", then there's something seriously wrong.

I totally agree, which is why I believe the shows should be scaled down on future tours, which is what I keep saying, less dazzle = more time to actually put on a show.

Once again you missed the point. The point is that they played the songs once or twice, then never again. If they are prepared or not doesn't matter, it still doesn't change the fact that they CAN be played again.

They CAN be played again sure, but then if they were every night, they'd be just another part of a "predictable setlist" wouldn't they.

I totally agree, which is why I believe the shows should be scaled down on future tours, which is what I keep saying, less dazzle = more time to actually put on a show.

But still, nothing stops them from having the towers down and only have the ordinary visuals(that they would have to do with a smaller stage setup too) and play Dead Star for example. The towers doesn't HAVE to be used.

can't speak for the stadium set though.

The scale is irrelevant.

We live in an age of presets, everything is just a few clicks away. Matt & Chris could easily set up patches on their rigs for every song they've ever done.

The scale is NOT irrelevant, playing at the stick and carrot is alot smaller in scale than playing at a 90k seater stadium.

Re: rigs etc, I couldn't say as I'm more of a visuals guy.

They CAN be played again sure, but then if they were every night, they'd be just another part of a "predictable setlist" wouldn't they.

Yes, but think about it.

RBS

B&H

Dead Star

Sunburn

Cave

MK Ultra(which already is seen as rare)

Bliss

CE

These are all songs that they have played this tour. Switching these around at the gigs isn't hard, and would mean a lot more variety without that much more work at all.

But still, nothing stops them from having the towers down and only have the ordinary visuals(that they would have to do with a smaller stage setup too) and play Dead Star for example. The towers doesn't HAVE to be used.

can't speak for the stadium set though.

Which is what I'm saying all along, strip the bells and whistles and there's far more oppurtunity/time to plan which songs they can perform.

I'd love for them just to chuck out some balloons circa 2002

Which is what I'm saying all along, strip the bells and whistles and there's far more oppurtunity/time to plan which songs they can perform.

I'd love for them just to chuck out some balloons circa 2002

But, you are still saying that they can't have variety because of the towers, which isn't true. Muse just chooses not to do it.

The scale is NOT irrelevant, playing at the stick and carrot is alot smaller in scale than playing at a 90k seater stadium.

Re: rigs etc, I couldn't say as I'm more of a visuals guy.

Well gigs on the toilet circuit are actually more difficult. You don't get hours to soundcheck and often the sound guy is someone you've never yet and has never heard you, you have barely minutes to set up and pack up and often playing to a crowd who doesn't give a shit about you.

Also don't be so fucking patronising as you don't know what I've done.

Yes, but think about it.

RBS

B&H

Dead Star

Sunburn

Cave

MK Ultra(which already is seen as rare)

Bliss

CE

These are all songs that they have played this tour. Switching these around at the gigs isn't hard, and would mean a lot more variety without that much more work at all.

I know that with MK ULTRA that had to be delayed because of the lack of visual accompaniment, which is why it only appeared in November, since then it's seen about 10-15 plays.

I dunno, know of us REALLY know why they can't play these songs NOW, but for the future, for what it's worth, I do think that not relying on visuals will allow them to play more variety more often, that's from my experience anyway, from a technical viewpoint.

TBH, The towers are a perfect set up. They offer awesome visuals, but can be "put away" for some variety with songs that doesn't have proper light shows. Just pull the towers down and start playing Dead St...no, fucking Hyper Music, and then just get back to the towers.

But, you are still saying that they can't have variety because of the towers, which isn't true. Muse just chooses not to do it.

+1

They've showed they can do it if they want to like pulling out Sunburn and BH on the last date of the european arena tour and completely changing the order of the setlist for 3 US gigs and bringing TaB with the towers.

The stage set up is a non-excuse from them.

Did I? I've only seen the towers once at Liverpool and fwir, the towers were used for about 4 songs, I know Exo and GL were used and I think Helsinki Jam also, but on this side of things I totally agree that getting rid of the towers/pyramid would restrict them less from the technical side of things and perhaps rather than fight it, Muse just say fuck it and go along with it *shrug*

I know that with MK ULTRA that had to be delayed because of the lack of visual accompaniment, which is why it only appeared in November, since then it's seen about 10-15 plays.

I dunno, know of us REALLY know why they can't play these songs NOW, but for the future, for what it's worth, I do think that not relying on visuals will allow them to play more variety more often, that's from my experience anyway, from a technical viewpoint.

Really? From what I have heard Matt had trouble playing it. 10-15 plays in a year isn't really that much either.

Well, there's no explanation to why they wouldn't play any of these songs more than a few times. The most logical IS that they just choose not to play them, agreed?

I don't really believe that a song like Sunburn only CAN be played one night and never again in the whole tour because of technical problems.

Did I? I've only seen the towers once at Liverpool and fwir, the towers were used for about 4 songs, I know Exo and GL were used and I think Helsinki Jam also, but on this side of things I totally agree that getting rid of the towers/pyramid would restrict them less from the technical side of things and perhaps rather than fight it, Muse just say fuck it and go along with it *shrug*

Well, you have said that their stage setup is stopping them from variating their setlist :p

And no, I still don't agree that getting rid of the towers makes it easier. Just pull the fucking towers down and the problem is solved.

Well gigs on the toilet circuit are actually more difficult. You don't get hours to soundcheck and often the sound guy is someone you've never yet and has never heard you, you have barely minutes to set up and pack up and often playing to a crowd who doesn't give a shit about you.

Also don't be so fucking patronising as you don't know what I've done.

Muse started in toilet gigs too, I'm not being patronising at all, I'm not even talking about you specifically, I'm talking about scale, not performance, you can have a perfect soundcheck and still sound shit, but sounding shit on a HUGE stage is alot different to sounding shit in a pub.

Well, you have said that their stage setup is stopping them from variating their setlist :p

And no, I still don't agree that getting rid of the towers makes it easier. Just pull the fucking towers down and the problem is solved.

Yeah the current stage setup is stopping them from being unrestricted in their output, like a Green Day or Kasabian type gig, who don't rely on the flash and just play whatever, which I'm sure you can agree is what alot of Musers want, myself included, I could care less about the stage or lights, I just want to hear the music, be it Hyper Music or Neutron Star Collision :LOL:

Yeah the current stage setup is stopping them from being unrestricted in their output, like a Green Day or Kasabian type gig, who don't rely on the flash and just play whatever, which I'm sure you can agree is what alot of Musers want, myself included, I could care less about the stage or lights, I just want to hear the music, be it Hyper Music or Neutron Star Collision :LOL:

You just questioned me when I said that you stated that the stage setup was restricting them, and now you agree?

I've been lurking on this thread and not posting much (I simply don't wanna get in the middle of all these heated opinions :LOL: I think some people are being too hard on Muse and some are being way too forgiving... I fall somewhere in between :LOL:), but I wanted to throw in a quick opinion (from personal experience) about one of the issues that keeps coming up.

The towers really aren't an excuse for not being able to play rarities. I was at the show in NJ when they played CE. All they did was just have shots of the guys up on the screens (instead of any fancy visuals) and they had yellow-y/green-y lights on the stage flashing during the heavier parts, and a soft blue light during the slow parts. Nothing fancy. Nice and simple.

They could do any song with that exact same setup. All they'd need is someone to push the right buttons to make the lights "go crazy" at the right time, or go back to being soft if the song has a soft section. Not difficult!

*bows out of thread*

Muse started in toilet gigs too, I'm not being patronising at all, I'm not even talking about you specifically, I'm talking about scale, not performance, you can have a perfect soundcheck and still sound shit, but sounding shit on a HUGE stage is alot different to sounding shit in a pub.

I know they did.

You're not making any sense now. If you're in a band on the same scale as Muse, you're in a position to have professionals working with you who are used to that scale all the time. So in terms of putting a great show on, it does become easier.

A lot more work does have to go into it, but that doesn't make something more difficult.

A lot of bands on day offs or the spare afternoon during a tour will look into rehearsal rooms to practise new ideas and other songs to put into the set.

Muse already has a back catalogue of 90 + songs so I can't see why if they can't have flexibility and variation in setlists now what 11 more songs from the next album are going to do... it's not a lack of variation because they can't but because they won't. I went to see Kasabian 5 times on their current tour, they have 2 albums less than Muse and they managed to offer more variety (never got the exact same setlists twice, got to see 3 different openers, brought back songs for some gigs, others songs at other gigs, completely new outros, etc...)

You're a fake fan... a real poopy head! Why don't you leave and join the Kasabian forum! :mad::mad::mad:

And before anybody uses the argument, I like Muse so no i am not going to leave and join the kasabian forum!

:eek: What the... Please get out of my brain?! I must be as predictable as a Muse set list... :'(:'(:'(