Yes, but you make the claim that we only complain because our favourite songs aren't played, which is an argument you've pulled out of your ass.

No I didn't, I said that's the MAIN cause of beef re: setlists, I didn't say that's the ONLY cause of it!

I feel completely for people who pay to see Muse 10-15 times in a year and hear the same stuff in the hope of a rarity, but if you don't realize the reasons why they're playing the same stuff, you also, kind of deserve it.

If Muse cut the support, cut the lights/video screens etc then they'd have as much flexibility as they needed to play for a longer amount of time, because they wouldn't need to play it safe, they could just play.

The amount of albums does if you want a MIX of songs, otherwise you'd be playing just one album the whole of your career...

There's a difference between the two though, as I KNOW they won't play Hyper Music anytime soon, but I HOPE they play Exogenesis in full because it's not been done yet (Mainly because of logistical restrictions)

You seem a bit confused. You are saying that one more album will mean more variety and flexibility. I am saying that the way Muse are working at the moment, the amount of albums doesn't make any difference.

That I want them to mix the albums has nothing to do with that, since it's just a request from me, not what Muse are actually DOING.

I know there is a big difference. Did you miss the point? The point that we are NOT asking them to play certain songs. We are not saying "Why aren't Muse playing this?". We are saying "Why are Muse not playing any of their older songs?" and ""Why are Muse not giving some rarities to the fans to make it more exciting, especially for the people who goes to more than one show?"

Alright guys im starting to let a little annoyed. i expected this thread to be a little ranty and bashing but not this much. and now some of you are actually taking shots at each other? can we cool it down a bit and actually get back on topic with what this thread is about? namely, not bashing muse, but wondering about what setlists well see in the future

If Muse cut the support, cut the lights/video screens etc then they'd have as much flexibility as they needed to play for a longer amount of time, because they wouldn't need to play it safe, they could just play.

That is complete bullshit :LOL:

1. The visuals does NOT affect what songs they can play, which they have proven by pullout out rarities at 3-4 gigs and then never again.

2. If they are forced to play short sets, that still doesn't mean that they can only play their hits. I am sure that the new fans would be satisfied with 10 out of 15 songs, why not give a few to the fans who knows that they have albums before Absolution?

I wouldn't call Guiding Light a greatest hit :chuckle:

(See, even I can have beef)

I'm thinking it's a greatest something that rhymes with hit :LOL:

get back on topic with what this thread is about? namely, not bashing muse, but wondering about what setlists well see in the future

Future setlist: All of their previous hit singles, plus 4 or 5 new album tracks. I think that just about covers it.

Alright guys im starting to let a little annoyed. i expected this thread to be a little ranty and bashing but not this much. and now some of you are actually taking shots at each other? can we cool it down a bit and actually get back on topic with what this thread is about? namely, not bashing muse, but wondering about what setlists well see in the future

tbh, there's not much to discuss about that. We have no new info from Muse themselves, so all we can go on his how things are going at the moment.

Basically, we have 3 options.

1. They continue the next tour just like this one, by playing the greatest hits+new songs.

2. They remember that they have fans from before 2006, and start mixing things up with some older songs and variety.

3. They like the fact that they can get very famous by doing very little, and start to experiment with how low they can go before people stop buying it.

You seem a bit confused. You are saying that one more album will mean more variety and flexibility. I am saying that the way Muse are working at the moment, the amount of albums doesn't make any difference.

That I want them to mix the albums has nothing to do with that, since it's just a request from me, not what Muse are actually DOING.

I know there is a big difference. Did you miss the point? The point that we are NOT asking them to play certain songs. We are not saying "Why aren't Muse playing this?". We are saying "Why are Muse not playing any of their older songs?" and ""Why are Muse not giving some rarities to the fans to make it more exciting, especially for the people who goes to more than one show?"

No, another album will add more variation... More flexbility can come from cutting support and the bells and whistles from the show, because as I said, it'll give them more time to perform more songs instead of the small windows they currently have time for and the risk of things fucking up for them technically.

Isn't asking Muse why aren't they playing older songs and rarities also asking them why aren't they playing specific songs? If I said, why haven't they played Uno, isn't that all three, a rarity, an old song and a specific one?

And on a personal level, despite being wheelchair bound I've managed to get to 3 UK gigs since seaside rendezvous and barring the Liverpool gig (Which wasn't Muse' fault, because I caught the bloody Norovirus and had to shell out £400 to stay an extra two days at the hotel) every gig I went to was delightful and now I really have to savour the chances I get to see them, even in the UK, because before 07 I used to go all the time and I miss that.

I've just been on the phone for the last 40 minutes too so I've not been able to reply sooner soz.

That is complete bullshit :LOL:

1. The visuals does NOT affect what songs they can play, which they have proven by pullout out rarities at 3-4 gigs and then never again.

2. If they are forced to play short sets, that still doesn't mean that they can only play their hits. I am sure that the new fans would be satisfied with 10 out of 15 songs, why not give a few to the fans who knows that they have albums before Absolution?

I think the visuals do really affect the setup of a show and remember that even MK ULTRA when it was first introduced had its' own visuals and that didn't appear until November, these things take time to produce for the technical team who're also constantly on the move with the band.

I'd say that given the majority of their time between coming on stage at 8:30-9:15 and going off at 22:15-22:45 despite being on a focused album tour, they get a fair amount of tracks in, be it New Born, CE, Bliss, FG, PiB and on a couple of occassions, even tracks from Showbiz... But you can't expect the world every night when they're also trying to appease the masses and the newcomers... They're only a band and they're also coping with their own lives aswell.

No, another album will add more variation... More flexbility can come from cutting support and the bells and whistles from the show, because as I said, it'll give them more time to perform more songs instead of the small windows they currently have time for and the risk of things fucking up for them technically.

Isn't asking Muse why aren't they playing older songs and rarities also asking them why aren't they playing specific songs? If I said, why haven't they played Uno, isn't that all three, a rarity, an old song and a specific one?

And on a personal level, despite being wheelchair bound I've managed to get to 3 UK gigs since seaside rendezvous and barring the Liverpool gig (Which wasn't Muse' fault, because I caught the bloody Norovirus and had to shell out £400 to stay an extra two days at the hotel) every gig I went to was delightful and now I really have to savour the chances I get to see them, even in the UK, because before 07 I used to go all the time and I miss that.

I've just been on the phone for the last 40 minutes too so I've not been able to reply sooner soz.

No, another album will add more songs that they COULD play. But considering what they have been doing so far, more albums will only mean that they stop playing more of the older songs. You still haven't gotten the point. Just because they have more songs doesn't mean that they will play a wider variety of songs.

No, it isn't. If you say "why aren't you playing Uno?", that is a specific song. If you say "why aren't you playing rare/old songs?", that is NOT a specific song. How can that not be obvious?

Muse already has a back catalogue of 90 + songs so I can't see why if they can't have flexibility and variation in setlists now what 11 more songs from the next album are going to do... it's not a lack of variation because they can't but because they won't. I went to see Kasabian 5 times on their current tour, they have 2 albums less than Muse and they managed to offer more variety (never got the exact same setlists twice, got to see 3 different openers, brought back songs for some gigs, others songs at other gigs, completely new outros, etc...)

And before anybody uses the argument, I like Muse so no i am not going to leave and join the kasabian forum!

Why wasn't something like this possible then?

Uprising

Map Of The Problematique

Supermassive Black Hole

Resistance

Hysteria

New Born

MK Ultra

Citizen Erased

United States Of Eurasia

Ruled By Secrecy

Undisclosed Desires

Starlight

Bliss (Ext.)

Time Is Running Out

Plug In Baby

Unnatural Selection

-----

Exogenesis, Pt. 1: Overture

Stockholm Syndrome

Take A Bow

-----

Knights Of Cydonia

If that had been the standard/template for the arena tour, I don't think there would have been any beef at all.

I think the visuals do really affect the setup of a show and remember that even MK ULTRA when it was first introduced had its' own visuals and that didn't appear until November, these things take time to produce for the technical team who're also constantly on the move with the band.

I'd say that given the majority of their time between coming on stage at 8:30-9:15 and going off at 22:15-22:45 despite being on a focused album tour, they get a fair amount of tracks in, be it New Born, CE, Bliss, FG, PiB and on a couple of occassions, even tracks from Showbiz... But you can't expect the world every night when they're also trying to appease the masses and the newcomers... They're only a band and they're also coping with their own lives aswell.

The problem isn't that they're trying to please new fans/casuals.

The problem is that they're trying to please ONLY new fans/casuals.

But then how come they can play Dead Star on the Asian tour, with visuals, and then never again? How come they can play Sunburn on...one gig? And then never again? How come songs like RBS and B&H can't be played more than when Muse actually decides to "please the older fans", which is like 1-3 times per tour?

NB, Bliss, FG and PIB are still the hits that has been played to death since their release. Which is what we have been saying, that they are only playing their hits+songs from the latest album. CE is also a very popular song.

Once again you are putting words in our mouths. Just because we are asking for variety doesn't mean that we are expecting "the world", whatever that means.

Why wasn't something like this possible then?

Uprising

Map Of The Problematique

Supermassive Black Hole

Resistance

Hysteria

New Born

MK Ultra

Citizen Erased

United States Of Eurasia

Ruled By Secrecy

Undisclosed Desires

Starlight

Bliss (Ext.)

Time Is Running Out

Plug In Baby

Unnatural Selection

-----

Exogenesis, Pt. 1: Overture

Stockholm Syndrome

Take A Bow

-----

Knights Of Cydonia

If that had been the standard/template for the arena tour, I don't think there would have been any beef at all.

Use that as a template. And then when they decide to change things around, play TaB as an opener, SS as encore closer and Bliss in it's place. Play B&H(which they are already playing, no need to learn a new song) instead of maybe MOTP?

Or change place between TaB and KoC, start encore with TaB, End main set with SS. The possibilities are endless, despite not having to learn 40 songs and do completely different sets every night.

No, another album will add more songs that they COULD play. But considering what they have been doing so far, more albums will only mean that they stop playing more of the older songs. You still haven't gotten the point. Just because they have more songs doesn't mean that they will play a wider variety of songs.

No, it isn't. If you say "why aren't you playing Uno?", that is a specific song. If you say "why aren't you playing rare/old songs?", that is NOT a specific song. How can that not be obvious?

My point is flexibility here, the time constraints for shows means they're having to play it safe until they can either scrap the support and/or the light/technical shows, that's what I'm saying re: future tours, which of course will have at least one more album to include so it'll give them even more of a reason to extend the shows.

Well they've played Cave, Sunburn and Unintended, they're all old/rare songs nowadays, but they're also specific... Do you want them to play just any old/rare song just for the sake of playing it??

L... The flexibility I'm talking about isn't the songs themselves but the shows themselves, if they had more time to perform they could afford to play more songs, if they were to cut even one support act that would give them at least an extra 45 minutes to play... And even more so if they don't have such expansive/complicated light shows.

Dee3Dee... It sounds like you only want Muse to be limited to "hardcore" and old-time fans, which is what pre-07 people got (Including myself who first saw them in Manchester 98) and to become bigger and broader they need to whore themselves abit, which, considering they're with Warner, is understandable, if not excusable.

Dee3Dee... It sounds like you only want Muse to be limited to "hardcore" and old-time fans, which is what pre-07 people got (Including myself who first saw them in Manchester 98) and to become bigger and broader they need to whore themselves abit, which, considering they're with Warner, is understandable, if not excusable.

No, what I want is to see my favourite band offer some variety so that going to multiple gigs during the same tour won't be an issue. You are putting words in my mouth.

I don't mind that they're whoring themselves out, I can accept that. The point is that they've crossed a very clear boundary of whoring out way too much. Why is this so hard for you to understand?

I want to be able to have a fair chance at seeing some older songs, the songs that made me fall in love with Muse in the first place. Not everyone had the chance to see them 3-12 years ago like you.

But then how come they can play Dead Star on the Asian tour, with visuals, and then never again? How come they can play Sunburn on...one gig? And then never again? How come songs like RBS and B&H can't be played more than when Muse actually decides to "please the older fans", which is like 1-3 times per tour?

NB, Bliss, FG and PIB are still the hits that has been played to death since their release. Which is what we have been saying, that they are only playing their hits+songs from the latest album. CE is also a very popular song.

Once again you are putting words in our mouths. Just because we are asking for variety doesn't mean that we are expecting "the world", whatever that means.

Yeah Dead Star is something that I can agree with you on, that was rather annoying, especially as they had a Micro Cuts riff added too... That one I won't try to justify.

I think B&H has been played at only the larger stadium gigs hasn't it?? Maybe it's got something to do with the Altered Reality thing, don't know... Went to Wembley, missed first night due to illness but saw 2nd and saw RBS, the visuals are VERY specific to RBS.

Not everyone would've heard tracks like Darkshines or Thoughts of a Dying Atheist, they SHOULD, but the truth is not everyone listens to whole albums (Which is sad) and what I mean by "the world" is saying that you want the perfect gig everytime, for everyone and that's just not possible due to how tight the schedule is... However, like I say, cut out the support and light shows and THEN they can focus solely on the music.

My point is flexibility here, the time constraints for shows means they're having to play it safe until they can either scrap the support and/or the light/technical shows, that's what I'm saying re: future tours, which of course will have at least one more album to include so it'll give them even more of a reason to extend the shows.

Well they've played Cave, Sunburn and Unintended, they're all old/rare songs nowadays, but they're also specific... Do you want them to play just any old/rare song just for the sake of playing it??

L... The flexibility I'm talking about isn't the songs themselves but the shows themselves, if they had more time to perform they could afford to play more songs, if they were to cut even one support act that would give them at least an extra 45 minutes to play... And even more so if they don't have such expansive/complicated light shows.

But as you have been saying several times, you think that a new album will add more variety to the set, which is what people are arguing against. You specifically said that a new album would mean more variety.

Yes I do, as long as they fit of course. I want Muse to mix in some rare songs in their sets. if it's Showbiz, MM, Sunburn, Cave, Megalomania, Dead Star etc doesn't matter, which is why I am not asking for specific songs. The point is that you should visit a Muse show and not be able to name every song that you are going to hear.

And like I have said before, they are playing 15 songs atm, even if they CAN'T play more, that doesn't mean that they can't put a rarity in there.

About what you said to Dee3Dee, what's just plain ignorant. He specifically says that he doesn't want Muse to please JUST the new/noob fans, but also the older ones.

There's no time constraints at all. They know what time they have to finish by, if you want to play for an hour, go at quarter to 10, 2 hours; quarter to 9, 3...

Working out how long each song will last is fairly easy, especially when everything is as automated as it is.

Also dropping new songs into a set isn't difficult, all the equipment the band uses will be capable of saving presets or just reuse ones from other songs.

But yeah, if a band is touring an album, expect to hear those songs, but Muse's issue is they'll play the same songs from other albums night after night and only rarely vary it at all. When really they should be playing a whole mixture so fans have a reason to go back. Plenty of other bands do this when they've got to the same level and it's possible Muse's mindset hasn't moved on from playing toilet circuit gigs where you have to play your newest & best.