LP9: WOTP Discussion/Speculation Thread

Jobby

21 hours ago, Meisver said:

so there's no song called The Great Reset, and the whole debate about Matt potentially making this a covid conspiracy album was all unfounded? So let's not get too upset about him potentially rhyming Verona with corona. TBH it would be weird for Muse not to explore lyrically themes related to the shitshow of the last two years. Knowing Matt's poor lyrics (still don't know how 'the final solution' made it onto a single) it probably will be a bit cringey in places, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt till we actually hear any more tracks. I guess we'll find out when Compliance drops.

Edited by Timbo59
bad grammar
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Timbo59 said:

so there's no song called The Great Reset, and the whole debate about Matt potentially making this a covid conspiracy album was all unfounded? So let's not get too upset about him potentially rhyming Verona with corona. TBH it would be weird for Muse not to lyrically explore things related to the shitshow of the last two years. Knowing Matt's poor lyrics (still don't know how 'the final solution' made it onto a single) it probably will be a bit cringey in places, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt till we actually hear any more tracks. I guess we'll find out when Compliance drops.

No, there was a song on the list called The Great Reset, but they changed it.

So, Compliance is objectively shit and will als be in my head all day after one listen. 

Oh, and everything I said before in this thread about Matt appealing to the wrong crowd still applies, though these lyrics (and the (red?) pill imagery in the video could easily imply that he’s including conspiracy theory peddlers as part of the evil “they”. CoVid deniers will love it though. 

EDIT: Obligatory third listen update: this is this album’s Dead Inside. Initial boyband vibe, fakeout for those who were expecting something a bit more ‘heavy’, but pretty damn crafty in the end. Not so shit after all. 

Edited by That Little Animal

1 minute ago, That Little Animal said:

Give it a couple more listens. The chorus, the bass and the beat won me over. But it ain’t metal, and it doesn’t feature Jeff’s guitar (thank God, in hindsight)

It sounds like a bad Muse-ish cover of Van Halens 'Jump'

I think Matt must be deliberately tolling with the lyrics. Kind reading is that it's anti neo capitalist, that we're buying into a false utopia of an easy life with wants answered by the touch of a screen. On the other hand it sounds like an appeal to those who resist complying with mask and lockdown rules because it's a form of control. It feels forcefully and needlessly ambiguous which leads me to have to put Matt in the bad lyricist bucket to explain it away in my head. If the rest of the album is like this, I'm probably going to give up on Matt unless he makes some unambiguous statements about his lyrics.

Not a fan of the song yet, feels like an extension of the 2nd Law which is, by far, least liked Muse album. It sounds like the product of a one night stand between Uprising and Madness, fostered by Undisclosed Desires.