LP9: WOTP Discussion/Speculation Thread

Jobby

11 minutes ago, That Little Animal said:

Sorry! Thought you were talking about Matt’s hoodie in the vid :).

Are there still mods cracking the leek whip around here? I got pinged by the Discord. Reddit’s usually pretty up to speed about these things too :)

No, about the promo photo, Matt in the middle wearing a hoodie and sunglasses 😅

5 minutes ago, Silentgod86 said:

Oh, since it's the Music Video director put it up, I think it's safe to share the link:

https://vimeo.com/688432698

I've never listened to a leak before, but honestly, I need the boost today, and if the literal director of the music video put it up I suspect he's not too concerned about burning bridges with the band. Time to listen!

3 minutes ago, Silentgod86 said:

I think Matt must be deliberately tolling with the lyrics. Kind reading is that it's anti neo capitalist, that we're buying into a false utopia of an easy life with wants answered by the touch of a screen. On the other hand it sounds like an appeal to those who resist complying with mask and lockdown rules because it's a form of control. It feels forcefully and needlessly ambiguous which leads me to have to put Matt in the bad lyricist bucket to explain it away in my head. If the rest of the album is like this, I'm probably going to give up on Matt unless he makes some unambiguous statements about his lyrics.

Not a fan of the song yet, feels like an extension of the 2nd Law which is, by far, least liked Muse album. It sounds like the product of a one night stand between Uprising and Madness, fostered by Undisclosed Desires.

I think it’s more ham-fisted than that. 

I think he was thinking about govt control (as he does), made the connection/comparison to gangs or cults, and wrote from that perspective to provide his stale old commentary in a slightly different way. 

The pills in the video bother me though. That’s antivaxxer fodder if there ever was any. (Then again, if I choose to, I can see it as a commentary on ivermectin and hydrochloroquin consumption by Trump and Fox News cultists. 

Okay I am absolutely done talking about lyrics and responsibility. That is what the kids call a certified bop. Catchy as all heck, I love the mix (could use just a touch more bass, but I suspect it may sound better on the record than in the video), the synth tones are so gloriously round and proud, and yet they pull me in rather than push me out. The filter on Dom's drums reminds me of The Dark Side, which is a great song. Love the bridge, maybe wish it was longer but whatever.

This is, by every measure other than riffs, better than Won't Stand Down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, That Little Animal said:

So, Compliance is objectively shit and will als be in my head all day after one listen. 

Oh, and everything I said before in this thread about Matt appealing to the wrong crowd still applies, though these lyrics (and the (red?) pill imagery in the video could easily imply that he’s including conspiracy theory peddlers as part of the evil “they”. CoVid deniers will love it though. 

EDIT: Obligatory third listen update: this is this album’s Dead Inside. Initial boyband vibe, fakeout for those who were expecting something a bit more ‘heavy’, but pretty damn crafty in the end. Not so shit after all. 

Haven't heard it yet but DI is probably the second best song on Drones after The Handler. It's a great song and was new territory for them.

Ok, let‘s talk about the video if you don‘t like to get spoiled, don‘t read this!

… now we have masks from all 3 members, and Matt as a girl 🧐😜  red/white pills, and others in this glass house … I think it‘s a good video! 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Claudia O said:

Ok, let‘s talk about the video if you don‘t like to get spoiled, don‘t read this!

… now we have masks from all 3 members, and Matt as a girl 🧐😜  red/white pills, and others in this glass house … I think it‘s a good video! 

Chris’ mask though… his face doesn’t transfer well, apparently. He’s easily the hottest Muse member and easily the ugliest mask. 

10 minutes ago, Citizen_Eraser said:

Haven't heard it yet but DI is probably the second best song on Drones after The Handler. It's a great song and was new territory for them.

I’m curious what you think then. I disliked DI at first because I felt it was a Madness repeat. DI is the better of the two songs, but I still feel they just improved upon Madness and gave it a bit of a do-over. 

28 minutes ago, That Little Animal said:

I’m curious what you think then. I disliked DI at first because I felt it was a Madness repeat. DI is the better of the two songs, but I still feel they just improved upon Madness and gave it a bit of a do-over. 

Compliance is eh...not bad but the lyrics are cringey. Def feels like a concept album. My main complaint is I wish the synths had a little more grit to them rather than the glam 80s vibe they give. The bridge with the Knight Rider sounding melody is a step in the right direction for me. Imagine if all the synths had that gritty tone to them.

As for DI and Madness. DI for me is just all about that bass and Matt's unbelievably good vocal performance. Also a sucker for the drop C solo. Madness is just tonally not what I like about Muse and while DI did have to grow on me but I think its probably their best pop song ever. Honestly don't even think its close.

• Like 1

What if the pop songs on the album will be from the perspective of the bad people, who want your soul, etc. and the rocksongs from the perspective of the „good“ people, who revolt?  😮 so 1 song pop, next track on the album rock … like the answer to the pop song? 

Edited by Claudia O

Dead Inside along with The Handler is the tightest the band have sounded on record. The rhythm section is just pure perfection. It's really unfortunate that Matt strongly disliked the recording process for Drones.

I feel like Compliance is serving the same purpose as Dead Inside, a more pop orientated single to drum up airplay ahead of Album and Tour announcement. Hopefully from my perspective, the album won't be as poppy.

1 hour ago, Claudia O said:

I am getting Matrix Vibes from the video, I am still a bit confused though. What is going on in the video? Why are Matt, Chris and Dominic not in the videos anymore? I love the masks though, I hope they put them in the merchandise store, I want all three of them. I would use them for Halloween.