LP9: WOTP Discussion/Speculation Thread

Jobby

37 minutes long confirms my worries about the number of songs.

Also, all tracks <4 minutes gives low chances to do proper progressive song with real building and to listen to the symphonic-epic MUSE.

Looks like it will have the same taste of small concept and simple-structured songs that ST has.

Not hyped

Not sure why they need to wait until August to release an album that they have more than finished. By august mer we will have already listened to half of the themes.

Edited by DrMalignoXXX
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, DrMalignoXXX said:

Also, all tracks <4 minutes gives low chances to do proper progressive song with real building and to listen to the symphonic-epic MUSE.

There are three tracks over 4 mins, two of them basically 5.

Honestly, the wait to August is weird and sucks arse but I never get the complaints over length. There’s nothing stopping a short album from being great and nothing about a longer album that guarantees it being any better. People moan when albums have filler or repetitive songs like Psycho, but then get pessimistic about a shorter track length. I know they’re not mutually exclusive but come on ladssss, why is negativity always the default?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Jobby said:

Honestly, the wait to August is weird and sucks arse but I never get the complaints over length. There’s nothing stopping a short album from being great and nothing about a longer album that guarantees it being any better. People moan when albums have filler or repetitive songs like Psycho, but then get pessimistic about a shorter track length. I know they’re not mutually exclusive but come on ladssss, why is negativity always the default?

This! 

26 minutes ago, Jobby said:

Yes, a short album with short songs can be great. Or not. But for sure what it is difficult to think is that it will be an album with progressive developed rock songs, which is what Muse used to do and what I would like to hear at least in a decent percentage of the new material. Specially coming from a LP like ST that also lacks on this.

I just made a comment based in my personal opinion in which waiting 4 years for 37 minutes of new material  (and not so brilliant based on the 20% of it) feelss poor.

And you are wrong: being long does not necessary implies that you will get repetitive, the same with the opposite. A short song can get repetitive and cumbersome as hell like Pressure, Undisclosed Desires, Mercy or.... Compliance

Edited by DrMalignoXXX
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, DrMalignoXXX said:

Yes, a short album with short songs can be great. Or not. But for sure what it is difficult to think is that it will be an album with progressive developed rock songs, which is what Muse used to do and what I would like to hear at least in a decent percentage of the new material. Specially coming from a LP like ST that also lacks on this.

I just made a comment based in my personal opinion in which waiting 4 years for 37 minutes of new material  (and not so brilliant based on the 20% of it) feelss poor.

The amount of Muse’s discography that is 5+ minutes progressive rock is very minimal. It’s not really ever been ‘what they do’. Why anyone would still go into a Muse record expecting that after all this time is beyond me, especially when there’s been no suggestion of it.

Time between releases doesn’t equate or correlate to the amount that’s gonna be produced on the next one either. Plus, let’s be honest, even the saddest among us have lives and haven’t spent the last 4 years waiting for a new Muse record. There’s a difference between waiting for something and time elapsing.

15 minutes ago, DrMalignoXXX said:

And you are wrong: being long does not necessary implies that you will get repetitive, the same with the opposite. A short song can get repetitive and cumbersome as hell like Pressure, Undisclosed Desires, Mercy or.... Compliance

Not wrong, acknowledged exactly this at the end of my post. These things aren’t mutually exclusive but the last few ~55 minute Muse albums all had songs that people said should either be trimmed down or cut completely. If those records had done that and gone with a shorter length, you’d get complaints like we are now about it being too short.

Each album is what it is, you’re either gonna like a certain amount of it or not. We can’t moan about extra minutes of music without knowing what those extra minutes would’ve been.

• Like 2

The optimal album length for me is between like 32 and 45 minutes. Anything longer than that is almost guaranteed to have some filler. So I'm really not fussed with a more streamlined Muse album, assuming all the songs are decent.

What's the closest thing we have so far to compare a Muse piano ballad to an Adele piano song? 

Edited by Timbo59

2 hours ago, Jobby said:

lmao I’ve gone from saying “psycho tour 2 lads” to hearing the band are legit debating whether to slow down touring and focus on making albums

death, come unto me

was there any rumour regarding psycho tour 2? haven't read anything...