NME :How The Edge Saved Muse's Glastonbury Set

chudenk

I must agree overall. Glasto looked like it was great, but I've seen it all before. (And I haven't really been following the current tour, apart from checking out the set lists every now and then). Muse will have to do something to make their live performance a bit more personal, a bit more human. Back in the day they didn't necessarily connect with the crowd either, but they didn't have to. What they were doing on stage looked like it happened and was created right then and there. You could feel that you were watching history in the making. Now that history has been made, it looks like all they're doing is polish it up and maintain it, instead of pushing forward, or looking back for old time's sake.

Only real point of critique:

Why they keep playing Guiding Light instead of other Resistance songs is beyond me. Seriously, who are they playing that song for?

Well I'd probably agree that the boys need a change of direction (even though The Resistance is my favourite Muse album), but "personal and human"? Unless Matt suddenly has a total personality change, I just don't see it happening. Personal and human is really not his forte. Just as sounding happy and carefree is never going to be Thom Yorke's strong point.

I just think that Muse have become over-familiar to some people.

I agreed with the title of the article, (it would have been a typical setlist otherwise) but I didn't agree with most of the complaints. I detest forced banter; they should only talk if they feel like it, otherwise it's just contrived and pointless. And complaining about the light show? Isn't it good they stripped it down for once? I do agree about the Guiding Light part though.

And those moments seemed to peak at House of the Raising Sun and Feeling Good, coincidentally two other songs which aren't theirs.

To be fair, house of the rising sun is as much theirs as it is The Animals'

To be fair, house of the rising sun is as much theirs as it is The Animals'

And same with Feeling Good being as much theirs as Nina Simone's. :p

As for the review... eh... I do agree that something about Muse isn't as awe inspiring as they used to be, but I still love them.

agree with this review, except for the part about The Edge/Where the Streets Have No Name saving the set :wtf:. I'm not the only one that didn't care for that performance, right? :unsure:

Muse will become the next U2, I'm pretty sure of it.

/two cents

:(

Perhaps it's time they took their foot off the accelerator and wrote something more heartfelt, more personal, and on a human scale.

Source

Seriously? :rolleyes:

Write something more heartfelt?

More personal?

On a human scale?

Has the writer ever heard a Muse song before?

Journalists shouldn't write about topics they know nothing about.

AMxx

I don't agree with "saved," but I do think the U2 cover was the best part of the set. I don't think this is a bad or uncommon thing though. Rare (or unrare) covers often make a set amazing. Like last week I saw Passion Pit and was blown away by their cover of Dreams by The Cranberries. Or how Florence and the Machine sang a Fleetwood Mac song this weekend. Or also recently when I saw Civil Twilight cover Teardrop by Massive Attack. Covers are awesome and when done right can make a set very special and define it. :D

I'm really fed up of all the Muse bashing atm. Sure, some people don't like them and each to their own. But if you don't like them, shut up, you don't have to listen to them. You can't say they're bad just because you don't get it or like them because there are so many other people who do get it and love them. They are immense, if it's not your thing, it's your loss.

/rant

+100000000000

well said

I'm really fed up of all the Muse bashing atm. Sure, some people don't like them and each to their own. But if you don't like them, shut up, you don't have to listen to them. You can't say they're bad just because you don't get it or like them because there are so many other people who do get it and love them. They are immense, if it's not your thing, it's your loss.

/rant

:erm: That's an overly-simplistic assessment.

/rant

No, we won;t go away. Every has the right top vocie their opinion on this forum so stop it will this trying to silence people.

IMO the review is spot on. The set list was dull. The performance was standard. The collaboration was the only surprise.

Comparing the two performances as Glasto they really weren't as good this time. They looked like a polished pop act compared to the rock band that they were in 2004. This was the debut of the BHaR and The Resistance songs at Glastonbury so they should have been a showcase of what they done since then, but instead they played Feeling Good and Citizen Erased and Guiding Light where Assassin and MK ULTRA and City of Delusion and Unnatural Selection could have gone. They played 4 songs more and yet it was so lacking.

No, we won;t go away. Every has the right top vocie their opinion on this forum so stop it will this trying to silence people.

IMO the review is spot on. The set list was dull. The performance was standard. The collaboration was the only surprise.

Comparing the two performances as Glasto they really weren't as good this time. They looked like a polished pop act compared to the rock band that they were in 2004. This was the debut of the BHaR and The Resistance songs at Glastonbury so they should have been a showcase of what they done since then, but instead they played Feeling Good and Citizen Erased and Guiding Light where Assassin and MK ULTRA and City of Delusion and Unnatural Selection could have gone. They played 4 songs more and yet it was so lacking.

oh how i agree with you!

i dunno...it almost seems like there's a lack of courage happening. as though the bigger the crowds get the more they rely on crowd energy to keep them going...and so they play the songs that people will sing/clap to instead of the others which aren't quite as interactive(?)

call it fear...or call it the need for crowd worship...i dunno. they're just not willing to play so many of these fantastic full on rock songs anymore (aside from the well known ones)

and in not playing them they are keeping new fans in ignorance of how amazing those songs are performed live.

meh.

i dunno...it almost seems like there's a lack of courage happening. as though the bigger the crowds get the more they rely on crowd energy to keep them going...and so they play the songs that people will sing/clap to instead of the others which aren't quite as interactive(?)

call it fear...or call it the need for crowd worship...i dunno. they're just not willing to play so many of these fantastic full on rock songs anymore (aside from the well known ones) and in not playing them they are keeping new fans in ignorance of how amazing those songs are performed live.

Interesting theory. You might be onto something there. Like everyone, I'm wondering WHY WHY WHY? But I'm still too much of a n00b to bash them. I keep seeking a logical explanation rather than just saying they're lazy or whatever.

Archived