NME :How The Edge Saved Muse's Glastonbury Set

chudenk

Wow, NME getting it spot on for a change.

Before the bollocks about "not liking them blah blah blah" I wouldn't have bothered to go see them on Saturday night if I didn't like Muse.

For a start the sound was awful, was a struggle to hear the guitar, synths & piano a lot of the time and mostly far too much bass & drums. Strangely enough, Feeling Good sounded good for once because of this (I like their cover, just always thought it sounded dreadful live).

Muse prior to this gig had been building it up as something "special" and rehearsing with orchestras and all that and then we get a rehash of Glasto 2004 with some new material in it. I felt cheated and only stayed for the set because I couldn't be bothered to push through the crowd.

Wow, NME getting it spot on for a change.

Before the bollocks about "not liking them blah blah blah" I wouldn't have bothered to go see them on Saturday night if I didn't like Muse.

For a start the sound was awful, was a struggle to hear the guitar, synths & piano a lot of the time and mostly far too much bass & drums. Strangely enough, Feeling Good sounded good for once because of this (I like their cover, just always thought it sounded dreadful live).

Muse prior to this gig had been building it up as something "special" and rehearsing with orchestras and all that and then we get a rehash of Glasto 2004 with some new material in it. I felt cheated and only stayed for the set because I couldn't be bothered to push through the crowd.

You're gonna get that bollocks anyway.

oh how i agree with you!

i dunno...it almost seems like there's a lack of courage happening. as though the bigger the crowds get the more they rely on crowd energy to keep them going...and so they play the songs that people will sing/clap to instead of the others which aren't quite as interactive(?)

call it fear...or call it the need for crowd worship...i dunno. they're just not willing to play so many of these fantastic full on rock songs anymore (aside from the well known ones)

and in not playing them they are keeping new fans in ignorance of how amazing those songs are performed live.

meh.

I also agree with this. In Vicente Calderon on the 16th, they started played Bliss with those slow string hits with delay at the intro, I was anticipating the song to start... and when it does I start jumping, but almost no one is, nobody knew the song. I was like :stunned: how much damage Twilight and their poppy direction have done.

I also agree with this. In Vicente Calderon on the 16th, they started played Bliss with those slow string hits with delay at the intro, I was anticipating the song to start... and when it does I start jumping, but almost no one is, nobody knew the song. I was like :stunned: how much damage Twilight and their poppy direction have done.

That's because you weren't in my area. I probably would have jumped on your back :p

twilight is brought up all the time by fans, but really, how much impact has it had in terms of attendance at gigs? in the US i reckon they may have sold a few tickets because of that and it certainly gave them more exposure. but in europe or other parts of the world?

does anyone actually see people wearing twilight t-shirts or talking about twilight at queues or while leaving the gig, etc? :erm:

because honestly, i havent seen anything in the latest gigs i've attended that made me think 'twilight' ! the crowd is more mixed (certainly a lot more older people than there used to be years ago), there's more females too than there were in the past and the difference between the crowd reaction to singles and non-singles may be more pronounced - which suggests they are played more often on the radio that they used to be, which is not surprising... but 'twilight' ?

i kinda wonder sometimes if there isn't some exageration going on from fans re: the twilight association. (again, at least in europe, where the band has been big for quite a few years)

twilight is brought up all the time by fans, but really, how much impact has it had in terms of attendance at gigs? in the US i reckon they may have sold a few tickets because of that and it certainly gave them more exposure. but in europe or other parts of the world?

does anyone actually see people wearing twilight t-shirts or talking about twilight at queues or while leaving the gig, etc? :erm:

because honestly, i havent seen anything in the latest gigs i've attended that made me think 'twilight' ! the crowd is more mixed (certainly a lot more older people than there used to be years ago), there's more females too than there were in the past and the difference between the crowd reaction to singles and non-singles may be more pronounced - which suggests they are played more often on the radio that they used to be, which is not surprising... but 'twilight' ?

i kinda wonder sometimes if there isn't some exageration going on from fans re: the twilight association. (again, at least in europe, where the band has been big for quite a few years)

People tend to point to the huge reaction SMBH gets.... I don't know that I heard people talking about Twilight at the shows I went to, but then I was waiting in the line from the morning and at the barrier, so I doubt any twilight fans that weren't also real musers would have been around me ;)

People tend to point to the huge reaction SMBH gets.... I don't know that I heard people talking about Twilight at the shows I went to, but then I was waiting in the line from the morning and at the barrier, so I doubt any twilight fans that weren't also real musers would have been around me ;)
but it's a single, isnt it? and a successful one, which was released a few years ago, so people will know well.

and even so, i thought that at RIR in may, for example, when comparing singles, uprising had a much bigger reaction than SMBH.

dunno, i screamed quite a bit when SMBH came on myself :$ and i was a fan before meyer even wrote the damn books. i just find that SMBH in the resistance era has been fantastic, it's become really fun live. maybe someone thought i was a twilight fan too? though i screamed like a maniac for plenty of other songs too (and CE!!!).

Poop On Twilight. Stupid movie. It's just exposure for Muse as well as bucks. I loved Glastonbury!! Took a long time to download the crap needed to watch it but it was worth the effort. Don't care what anyone else says. Reviewers just talk to sell their article. Not worth the time it takes to read it.

Poop On Twilight. Stupid movie. It's just exposure for Muse as well as bucks. I loved Glastonbury!! Took a long time to download the crap needed to watch it but it was worth the effort. Don't care what anyone else says. Reviewers just talk to sell their article. Not worth the time it takes to read it.

I completely agree with this. In my eyes Glastonbury was brilliant...

yes actually, i have. whether they have gone on to like muse for the rest of their songs or not i've never asked them...but yeah, in france at the two gigs i went to there were folks openly wearing twilight related gear.

and at shows in the u.s. as well. can't say i saw any in the u.k. or perhaps those twilight folks just know better ;)

i tend to think that the association with the films has brought muse into a wider conciousness in general. there is more media exposure, more momentum behind the amount of airplay in the states because of the films. i don't take it necessarily to mean that the majority of new fans are twilight-obsessed.

if that makes sense :)

i tend to think that the association with the films has brought muse into a wider conciousness in general. there is more media exposure, more momentum behind the amount of airplay in the states because of the films. i don't take it necessarily to mean that the majority of new fans are twilight-obsessed.

if that makes sense :)

Yeah, I think because of Twilight, more people have just heard of Muse in general, not necessarily because they've read the books, etc... Therefore, there's a larger pool of people who are likely to investigate the band.

oh how i agree with you!

i dunno...it almost seems like there's a lack of courage happening. as though the bigger the crowds get the more they rely on crowd energy to keep them going...and so they play the songs that people will sing/clap to instead of the others which aren't quite as interactive(?)

call it fear...or call it the need for crowd worship...i dunno. they're just not willing to play so many of these fantastic full on rock songs anymore (aside from the well known ones)

and in not playing them they are keeping new fans in ignorance of how amazing those songs are performed live.

meh.

They'll probably take a long break next year, no Muse gigs - or very few- in 2011 perhaps? This is why I'll definitely hang on to my Wembley ticket...

Fun as the Glasto performance was, even getting The Edge on stage to play a U2 song didn't quite live up to Matt's pre-gig hype of "taking it to another level" :LOL:

Definately agree with Yettiman,Muses set at Glastonbury was absolutely excellent and they enjoyed every minute,even they looked blown away when The Edge was on set. The setlist they had was amazing especially Citizen Erased and Stockholm Syndrome loved the show and then watched it again on bbc.co.uk/glastonbury well done fellas keep on rocking WE LOVE YOU XXXX

Oh fack off NME, I'm in no mood for your negativity today.

Muser ignorance once again.That article just summed a lot of threads....shit setlists, not talking to crowd, same visuals for years, same performances bar a riff or a note here and there if you're lucky.

NME just reads here and sums things up, like it or not.

No matter if anyone knew Bliss or not, it's probably of Muse's best live songs. Even if someone had never heard it in their life I can't imagine that amazing falsetto at the end couldn't cause some sort of reaction. It makes me sad that it isn't played as often anymore, it's such an amazing, amazing song.:(

Archived